• 1 Post By robbo266317
  • 1 Post By theJman
  • 2 Post By Tonto
  • 1 Post By mgittelman

post #1 of 8 Old 08-24-16, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Gigabit switch speeds

Can anyone explain why I am getting low speeds, and then spikes on my LAN? When I look at my transfer speed in Windows I am getting 10Mb/s average. I have a Cisco Business Gigabit switch. The data was going from my windows mapped NAS drive to a USB SSD. I know the first question you will ask is why is it using a mapped drive. Well I have had a problem that periodically appears, and appears to be when Microsoft does its updates... I originally was able to view my NAS in Windows, until one day it no longer showed up in Windows 7. I have had multiple installs of Windows (from formatted HDDs), and every time the drive is there and then with time disappears. So right now I have been without Windows seeing my NAS for a couple of months on a 4 month install of Windows 7.

Do I need to have a SSD for caching from my NAS, and also a SSD on my PC to get the speeds up (as you can see I get bursts of over 900Mb/s)?
Attached Thumbnails
Gigabit switch speeds-20160823_200259_resized.jpg  

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-25-16, 01:21 AM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Re: Gigabit switch speeds

The most likely explanation is that the data is being cached before writing to the drive, the cache fills up since the drive has a much lower write speed and then you get another burst when the cache is near empty.
If you look at the blue line on the disk activity it drops both times just before the network bursts.

What is the write speed of the SSD?
ellisr63 likes this.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-25-16, 07:29 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

I wonder if the numbers Windows provides are accurate; the 900 mbs burst speed is about twice the physical transfer rate of USB 3, so unless there is some caching mechanism I'm instantly suspicious of the performance rating.

FWIW... there's nothing wrong with having the connection be a mapped drive. For some applications, that's the only way they can actually see the storage.
ellisr63 likes this.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

post #4 of 8 Old 08-25-16, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
robbo266317 wrote: View Post
The most likely explanation is that the data is being cached before writing to the drive, the cache fills up since the drive has a much lower write speed and then you get another burst when the cache is near empty.
If you look at the blue line on the disk activity it drops both times just before the network bursts.

What is the write speed of the SSD?
Transfer Rate: 450 MB/s

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

post #5 of 8 Old 08-25-16, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
I wonder if the numbers Windows provides are accurate; the 900 mbs burst speed is about twice the physical transfer rate of USB 3, so unless there is some caching mechanism I'm instantly suspicious of the performance rating.

FWIW... there's nothing wrong with having the connection be a mapped drive. For some applications, that's the only way they can actually see the storage.
The problem I have seen on my setup is that if you use a mapped vs actual the speed is slower.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #6 of 8 Old 08-25-16, 11:11 AM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

No idea, have you tried the MS help forum? Those guy are pretty savvy.
robbo266317 and ellisr63 like this.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-26-16, 03:41 PM

My System

You don't need SSD caching for your NAS. SSD caching is usually only good for non-sequential data transfer and can hurt performance of transferring single large files due to the overhead of trying to write to the cache and read from it at the same time.

What kind of NAS is it? Many are CPU constrained even though they have gigabit interfaces.

Things to check:

Are you sure your USB SSD is both USB3 capable and connected to a USB3 port? USB3 does 5Gb, while USB2 is limited to 480Gb.

What is the speed at which you can transfer files from the NAS to your local hard drive on your computer (not the USB one)?

Download lanspeedtest and test against a SMB share on your NAS. This will bypass the read/write restrictions on your local PC.

Run CrystalDiskMark on the USB drive to verify it supports the write speeds you are expecting.

Assuming all this is being done wired (and not wireless) cross connect the NAS and your computer directly with private IP addressing to bypass any problems that might be cropping up in the Cisco switch.

Any other computers you can test to see if they have the same issue with the NAS?
ellisr63 likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-26-16, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
mgittelman wrote: View Post
You don't need SSD caching for your NAS. SSD caching is usually only good for non-sequential data transfer and can hurt performance of transferring single large files due to the overhead of trying to write to the cache and read from it at the same time.

What kind of NAS is it? Many are CPU constrained even though they have gigabit interfaces.

Things to check:

Are you sure your USB SSD is both USB3 capable and connected to a USB3 port? USB3 does 5Gb, while USB2 is limited to 480Gb.

What is the speed at which you can transfer files from the NAS to your local hard drive on your computer (not the USB one)?

Download lanspeedtest and test against a SMB share on your NAS. This will bypass the read/write restrictions on your local PC.

Run CrystalDiskMark on the USB drive to verify it supports the write speeds you are expecting.

Assuming all this is being done wired (and not wireless) cross connect the NAS and your computer directly with private IP addressing to bypass any problems that might be cropping up in the Cisco switch.

Any other computers you can test to see if they have the same issue with the NAS?
USB is a USB3 Hub, and the SSD is also a USB3. I am running Unraid for my NAS (DIY i7). Everything is hardwired and going through my Cisco SG200-26 Gigabit Ethernet Smart Switch with 24 10/100/1000 Ports and 2 Combo Mini-GBIC Ports (SLM2024T-NA). My other devices are all Kodi Media boxes (various brands)so I have no way to test them. I will need to get the software and report back for the rest of the info.

tia,
Ron

Ron

My Home Theater