Internet speed problems - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

 6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 10-14-16, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
 
ellisr63's Avatar
Ron
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In the Home Theater
Posts: 5,476
My System
Internet speed problems

I just upgraded our internet from 100Mb down load to 250Mb, and we have a problem with getting the speed throughout our LAN.

When the Cable Company came out to fix our speed problem they found out our Modem was fine, but the wires to the router were wrong (wall jacks). They fixed it, and we had the proper speed to the router, although the guy said I need to check the other wires to make sure they are correct. A friend(used to be a LAN Administrator) come over, and wired the wall jacks up by our router, and then I hooked up the switch. We had the speed back, but only for a little while. I decided to by a Klein Tools VDV526-052 LAN Scout Junior Tester to test out the wires. What I found was that most of the wall jacks were not wired properly (except for the ones my friend, and the Cable Guy wired), and I rewired them properly (checking to make sure with the tester from the router to the wall jack). Now sometimes I have less than 1Mb when tested to over 200Mb.

Another strange thing is when testing the speed sometimes it will be less than 1 Mb, and then shoot up to anywhere from 20Mb to 150Mb or so at the very end of the download test. If I run the test right afterwards...sometimes it will go to max speed where it was only less then 1Mb a few seconds earlier.

My LAN equipment is as follows:

1: In the HT... Cisco SG200-26 Gigabit Ethernet Smart Switch with 24 10/100/1000 Ports and 2 Combo Mini-GBIC Ports
2: Where the Router is... NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000) with Open Source Support
Netgear GS108E ProSafe Plus 8-Port Gigabit Switch
3: Family Room... Netgear GS108 ProSafe Plus 8-Port Gigabit Switch
4: Master Bedroom...Netgear Powerline 1200 and Extra Outlet (other end is at the Router location)
5: All cables are Cat6, but unknown kind in the walls.

I have Jumbo Frames turned off.


Any ideas what is causing this problem? The cable guy said he has never seen wires be wrong and still get 100Mb downloads (like we had prior to the upgrade).
Attached Thumbnails
Internet speed problems-247d2d45-2cd5-4e67-bdd9-3eddc5d67963_zpsyyz42r8p.png  


Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ellisr63 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old 10-15-16, 10:53 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer
 
theJman's Avatar
Jim
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 2,898
My System
Re: Internet speed problems

When you say "wires to the router were wrong" and "wall jacks were not wired properly" what are you referring to? If this is ethernet RJ45 connectors they'll either work or they won't, at least that's been my experience. I can't envision a scenario where crossed wires would lead to anything other than a total lack of connectivity.

What end point are you using when running the speed test? There appears to be a lot of different gear in that signal chain, depending upon where you are in the house. Just out of curiosity, have you double checked the results with something like speedtest.net? I wonder if the two would exhibit the same issue. Another thought, with regards to all that equipment you have... are they running the latest BIOS/firmware/driver version? You made a major jump in throughput, so it could be one of those components needs updated code to handle it.

If you've gotten over 100Mb even once then the cables in the wall have to be at least cat5e. Cat5 stops at 100Mb, so it's probably not cable grade that's the issue. Does any of the wiring go near things with a large motor like an A/C unit, refrigerator or even florescent lights? Any one of those could generate enough RF to cause wacky issues. It could also be a problem outside your house, one the ISP would have to look into deeper; those numbers fluctuate wildly, giving it the appearance of flapping on the line. If so, there's zero you could do about it at the end point - that would be on them to rectify.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
theJman is offline  
post #3 of 30 Old 10-15-16, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
 
ellisr63's Avatar
Ron
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In the Home Theater
Posts: 5,476
My System
Re: Internet speed problems

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
When you say "wires to the router were wrong" and "wall jacks were not wired properly" what are you referring to? If this is ethernet RJ45 connectors they'll either work or they won't, at least that's been my experience. I can't envision a scenario where crossed wires would lead to anything other than a total lack of connectivity.

What end point are you using when running the speed test? There appears to be a lot of different gear in that signal chain, depending upon where you are in the house. Just out of curiosity, have you double checked the results with something like speedtest.net? I wonder if the two would exhibit the same issue. Another thought, with regards to all that equipment you have... are they running the latest BIOS/firmware/driver version? You made a major jump in throughput, so it could be one of those components needs updated code to handle it.

If you've gotten over 100Mb even once then the cables in the wall have to be at least cat5e. Cat5 stops at 100Mb, so it's probably not cable grade that's the issue. Does any of the wiring go near things with a large motor like an A/C unit, refrigerator or even florescent lights? Any one of those could generate enough RF to cause wacky issues. It could also be a problem outside your house, one the ISP would have to look into deeper; those numbers fluctuate wildly, giving it the appearance of flapping on the line. If so, there's zero you could do about it at the end point - that would be on them to rectify.

Thanks for responding JMan.

1: The wires to the router from the modem go through a wall jack in the modem room, and through another wall jack to the router room. The Tech found that 2 pairs were flipped. He said he couldn't believe it had been working at 100Mbps, but he saw it with his own eyes.

2: I used Speedtest.net as well as the one on Wave Broadband with the same results. I checked the firmware versions, and all are on the latest firmware.

3: Some of the outlets have cat5 jacks, and some have cat3. I am only hooking up the cat5 jacks though.

I was wondering last night if the wiring in the house might not be up to speed as the 2nd floor remodel was done in the 1980s I believe. I know the HT has cat5e or cat6 wiring as we put it in when the HT was built. If we had to rewire...we could rewire the modem to router as we have a sub floor. Our Living Room to router also has Cat5 or Cat6. Maybe I should disconnect all the other rooms (with unknown wall wiring), and see if it improves the signal??

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ellisr63 is offline  
post #4 of 30 Old 10-15-16, 10:28 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer
 
theJman's Avatar
Jim
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 2,898
My System
Re: Internet speed problems

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Thanks for responding JMan.
Because of what I do for a living I simply couldn't help myself...


Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
1: The wires to the router from the modem go through a wall jack in the modem room, and through another wall jack to the router room. The Tech found that 2 pairs were flipped. He said he couldn't believe it had been working at 100Mbps, but he saw it with his own eyes.
Something doesn't sound right; unless the wires were flipped at two junctions - so they essentially reversed the reversal - then I can't see it having ever worked. Swapped leads shouldn't have limited speed, it should have eliminated communication entirely.


Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I was wondering last night if the wiring in the house might not be up to speed as the 2nd floor remodel was done in the 1980s I believe. I know the HT has cat5e or cat6 wiring as we put it in when the HT was built. If we had to rewire...we could rewire the modem to router as we have a sub floor. Our Living Room to router also has Cat5 or Cat6. Maybe I should disconnect all the other rooms (with unknown wall wiring), and see if it improves the signal??
Cat3 came out in the early to mid 90's, so if the remodel was done in the 1980's it predates that by several years. It was also 10BASE-T, so 10 meg speeds. If you were getting 100 meg before that implies 100BASE-T, so cat5 at minimum.

Ethernet topology is point to point, meaning there's a single cable run from the switch port to each termination (generally that's a wall plate with a female RJ45). Since they're independent of each other, and therefore technically isolated, what you have plugged into any one port should not have an affect on the other ports. You can try isolating the slower devices but I can't imagine it would make any difference.

Are you using those GBIC's by chance? If so, I wonder if there's a problem during the signal conversion.
ellisr63 likes this.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
theJman is offline  
post #5 of 30 Old 10-16-16, 12:44 AM
HTS Senior Moderator
 
robbo266317's Avatar
bigbadbill
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Newcastle Australia
Posts: 5,655
Re: Internet speed problems

Just a point about the cabling being wrong. You can have straight through cabling, or swap-over, as most equipment auto-detects it.
Maybe it had been wired as swap-over for some reason? ( http://www.wiringwizard.com/primer/cables/cat5/ )
ellisr63 likes this.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
robbo266317 is offline  
post #6 of 30 Old 10-16-16, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
 
ellisr63's Avatar
Ron
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In the Home Theater
Posts: 5,476
My System
Re: Internet speed problems

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Because of what I do for a living I simply couldn't help myself...




Something doesn't sound right; unless the wires were flipped at two junctions - so they essentially reversed the reversal - then I can't see it having ever worked. Swapped leads shouldn't have limited speed, it should have eliminated communication entirely.




Cat3 came out in the early to mid 90's, so if the remodel was done in the 1980's it predates that by several years. It was also 10BASE-T, so 10 meg speeds. If you were getting 100 meg before that implies 100BASE-T, so cat5 at minimum.

Ethernet topology is point to point, meaning there's a single cable run from the switch port to each termination (generally that's a wall plate with a female RJ45). Since they're independent of each other, and therefore technically isolated, what you have plugged into any one port should not have an affect on the other ports. You can try isolating the slower devices but I can't imagine it would make any difference.

Are you using those GBIC's by chance? If so, I wonder if there's a problem during the signal conversion.
Thanks for the response... I am glad I have people that know more than I do to help me. I am doing what I do by what appears to be logical steps, but def is not working out.

This is what I did to test the jacks. I plugged in a known good store bought cat6 cable to the jack, and inserted the remote piece for the Klien tool on it. I then went to the Router room, and removed the wire from the next link in the connection (which was a switch) and put the Klien meter on it. Is this the correct way to test out the inwall connections?

GBICs... Those are the metal addon connectors for fiber aren't they, if so I am not running them.

We wired all the jacks to the "B" standard.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ellisr63 is offline  
post #7 of 30 Old 10-16-16, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
 
ellisr63's Avatar
Ron
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In the Home Theater
Posts: 5,476
My System
Re: Internet speed problems

Quote:
robbo266317 wrote: View Post
Just a point about the cabling being wrong. You can have straight through cabling, or swap-over, as most equipment auto-detects it.
Maybe it had been wired as swap-over for some reason? ( http://www.wiringwizard.com/primer/cables/cat5/ )
Thanks for the info...both ends of the jacks should be wired identically now as the tester says they are correct. I am assuming this is a good assumption from reading the meter, but I am not an expert.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ellisr63 is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old 10-16-16, 01:11 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer
 
theJman's Avatar
Jim
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 2,898
My System
Re: Internet speed problems

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Thanks for the response... I am glad I have people that know more than I do to help me.
By virtue of the fact you even know what jumbo frames are means your knowledge of networking exceeds perhaps 99% of non-IT people. Given the circumstances, that may prove very helpful.


Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
This is what I did to test the jacks. I plugged in a known good store bought cat6 cable to the jack, and inserted the remote piece for the Klien tool on it. I then went to the Router room, and removed the wire from the next link in the connection (which was a switch) and put the Klien meter on it. Is this the correct way to test out the inwall connections?
I'm familiar with Klein Tools - and even own one of their crimping tools myself - but I don't have any experience with that particular tester. However, the steps you outlined are the standard method for tone testing so I imagine what you did was correct.


Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
GBICs... Those are the metal addon connectors for fiber aren't they, if so I am not running them.
Not many home-owner class routers come with GBIC's, so when I saw that mentioned I wondered if your cable company might not be FIOS instead. I don't have any direct exposure to their service yet, but from what I understand they're using true fiber optics (the FIO in the FIOS name). If so, a GBIC would be necessary to do the conversion. Since they aren't in use though we can scratch that one off the list.
ellisr63 likes this.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
theJman is offline  
post #9 of 30 Old 10-16-16, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
 
ellisr63's Avatar
Ron
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In the Home Theater
Posts: 5,476
My System
Re: Internet speed problems

I just got off the phone with my Cable Provider, and they will be coming out on Wednesday to figure out what is going on. While i was on the phone with the Tech, my speed varied from less than 1Mbps to 256Mbps for downloading, but maintained a 10Mbps for upload everytime I ran the test. The Tech also had never heard of such a fluctuation is signal. I also decided it was a good time to sign up for the $4 a month wiring coverage. Now it doesn't even matter if my wiring is the problem...they will fix it for free. As long as the Tech doesn't mind going under our house in the crawlspace he would only have 3 runs to replace (if he wanted to replace wires...2 15' runs, and one 20'), and that would cover the switches to the router, and the router to the modem.

I will post up the results after they fix it. Keeping my fingers crossed it is something external to the house.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ellisr63 is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old 10-17-16, 01:26 AM
HTS Senior Moderator
 
robbo266317's Avatar
bigbadbill
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Newcastle Australia
Posts: 5,655
Re: Internet speed problems

I am certainly interested in hearing what the cause is.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
robbo266317 is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
internet , problems , speed

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome