external hard drive for movies - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 21 Old 01-04-07, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

ratchet

external hard drive for movies

just wondering how practical it is to have a dedicated hard drive to store/play movies direct from. is hooking up to a projector fairly simple and can the rest of the components be run through the PC as well? or does the receiver take care of the rest of the components and the PC hook into the receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-08-07, 03:26 AM
aeon
Inactive

Re: external hard drive for movies

Quote:
scott wrote: View Post
just wondering how practical it is to have a dedicated hard drive to store/play movies direct from. is hooking up to a projector fairly simple and can the rest of the components be run through the PC as well? or does the receiver take care of the rest of the components and the PC hook into the receiver?
So are you wanting to hook up the external HDD to an existing computer? or have I missed something?

If that's the case then it's not a problem, it's not a problem as it will just appear as another HDD on the computer and you put whatever you like on it.

As for hooking other things up to the computer it depends on what they are. I use mine for everything (TV, DVD, Music) so I don't have anything else to hook up. However generally it's easier to just continue to run them through the receiver as it saves you having to turn on the computer when you want to use them.

I'd hook the computer up directly to the projector as receivers can often mess with the video signal. The audio can just be run to the receiver.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-08-07, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

ratchet

thanks aeon

i have been checking other sites as well. do i also need to get a virtual dvd playerto play the downloaded 'rips'? i have about five movies on my current hard drive, but i can't get them to play or is there a certain format or file i need to put them in? when i try to access them they just want to burn.

i'm still in the research stage of my dedicated home theater,but i hope to get some of my info and pics posted shortly.

thanks for all the help so far.
post #4 of 21 Old 01-08-07, 07:09 AM
Friend of the Shack

Otto

Quote:
thanks aeon

i have been checking other sites as well. do i also need to get a virtual dvd player
Yep, check out PowerDVD, TheaterTek and WinDVD. There may be others, but I know you can use those to play DVDs from a hard drive. I use PowerDVD after auditioning the three, but it's just a matter of your preference.

-- Otto
post #5 of 21 Old 01-08-07, 11:01 AM
aeon
Inactive

Quote:
do i also need to get a virtual dvd playerto play the downloaded 'rips'? i have about five movies on my current hard drive, but i can't get them to play or is there a certain format or file i need to put them in? when i try to access them they just want to burn.
Most likely if they want to burn they are done as an image, which is basically just a copy of the dvd in a file.

To play them back you will need to mount the file as a virtual drive. To do this get a copy of Daemon Tools. It's free just don't install the 'search bar' bit as its adware, but as long as you just deselect it during install there's no problem.

You can then mount the DVD image and it will appear to windows as it would if you had put a physical DVD in and can be played with the DVD software of your choice.

You can also rip DVDs to the HDD as the folders and files that are on the DVD and then play them directly without having a virtual drive. However I find using disc images and a virtual drive easier as it means you only end up with a single file for each movie and you can use it like its a physical DVD.

I use DVD Decrypter to backup the DVD as an iso, Daemon Tools to mount it and then Zoom Player to play it back. But there are many alternatives that will do the same job.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-09-07, 05:27 AM
Senior Shackster

Steve

Send a message via Skype™ to Steve Williamson

Quote:
i have about five movies on my current hard drive, but i can't get them to play or is there a certain format or file i need to put them in? when i try to access them they just want to burn.
What format do you have the 5 movies in?
post #7 of 21 Old 01-09-07, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

ratchet

thanks for the help. i got the virtual drive set up and everything is working great.

the file are ISO.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-09-07, 06:25 AM
Friend of the Shack

Otto

what'd you end up using for actual playback?

-- Otto
post #9 of 21 Old 01-09-07, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

ratchet

playback in powerdvd, is there a way to keep a list of movies for play back, or do you always have to find and load each time?
post #10 of 21 Old 01-10-07, 06:55 AM
Friend of the Shack

Otto

Hi scott,

I'm not sure about that.

-- Otto