external hard drive for movies - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Computers | HTPC | Media Servers
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 48143 - Replies: 20  
Old 01-04-07, 05:30 PM   #1
Senior Shackster

ratchet
Since: Dec 2006
southern indiana
I started this thread.
external hard drive for movies

just wondering how practical it is to have a dedicated hard drive to store/play movies direct from. is hooking up to a projector fairly simple and can the rest of the components be run through the PC as well? or does the receiver take care of the rest of the components and the PC hook into the receiver?

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-07, 03:26 AM   #2
aeon
Inactive

Re: external hard drive for movies

Quote:
scott wrote: View Post
just wondering how practical it is to have a dedicated hard drive to store/play movies direct from. is hooking up to a projector fairly simple and can the rest of the components be run through the PC as well? or does the receiver take care of the rest of the components and the PC hook into the receiver?
So are you wanting to hook up the external HDD to an existing computer? or have I missed something?

If that's the case then it's not a problem, it's not a problem as it will just appear as another HDD on the computer and you put whatever you like on it.

As for hooking other things up to the computer it depends on what they are. I use mine for everything (TV, DVD, Music) so I don't have anything else to hook up. However generally it's easier to just continue to run them through the receiver as it saves you having to turn on the computer when you want to use them.

I'd hook the computer up directly to the projector as receivers can often mess with the video signal. The audio can just be run to the receiver.

Old 01-08-07, 06:01 AM   #3
Senior Shackster

ratchet
southern indiana
I started this thread.

thanks aeon

i have been checking other sites as well. do i also need to get a virtual dvd playerto play the downloaded 'rips'? i have about five movies on my current hard drive, but i can't get them to play or is there a certain format or file i need to put them in? when i try to access them they just want to burn.

i'm still in the research stage of my dedicated home theater,but i hope to get some of my info and pics posted shortly.

thanks for all the help so far.

Old 01-08-07, 07:09 AM   #4
Friend of the Shack
Platinum Supporter

Otto
Since: May 2006
Beautiful Colorado

Quote:
thanks aeon

i have been checking other sites as well. do i also need to get a virtual dvd player
Yep, check out PowerDVD, TheaterTek and WinDVD. There may be others, but I know you can use those to play DVDs from a hard drive. I use PowerDVD after auditioning the three, but it's just a matter of your preference.

-- Otto

Old 01-08-07, 11:01 AM   #5
aeon
Inactive

Quote:
do i also need to get a virtual dvd playerto play the downloaded 'rips'? i have about five movies on my current hard drive, but i can't get them to play or is there a certain format or file i need to put them in? when i try to access them they just want to burn.
Most likely if they want to burn they are done as an image, which is basically just a copy of the dvd in a file.

To play them back you will need to mount the file as a virtual drive. To do this get a copy of Daemon Tools. It's free just don't install the 'search bar' bit as its adware, but as long as you just deselect it during install there's no problem.

You can then mount the DVD image and it will appear to windows as it would if you had put a physical DVD in and can be played with the DVD software of your choice.

You can also rip DVDs to the HDD as the folders and files that are on the DVD and then play them directly without having a virtual drive. However I find using disc images and a virtual drive easier as it means you only end up with a single file for each movie and you can use it like its a physical DVD.

I use DVD Decrypter to backup the DVD as an iso, Daemon Tools to mount it and then Zoom Player to play it back. But there are many alternatives that will do the same job.

Old 01-09-07, 05:27 AM   #6
Senior Shackster

Steve
Gold Coast Australia

Quote:
i have about five movies on my current hard drive, but i can't get them to play or is there a certain format or file i need to put them in? when i try to access them they just want to burn.
What format do you have the 5 movies in?

Old 01-09-07, 05:57 AM   #7
Senior Shackster

ratchet
southern indiana
I started this thread.

thanks for the help. i got the virtual drive set up and everything is working great.

the file are ISO.

Old 01-09-07, 06:25 AM   #8
Friend of the Shack
Platinum Supporter

Otto
Beautiful Colorado

what'd you end up using for actual playback?

-- Otto

Old 01-09-07, 10:24 AM   #9
Senior Shackster

ratchet
southern indiana
I started this thread.

playback in powerdvd, is there a way to keep a list of movies for play back, or do you always have to find and load each time?

Old 01-10-07, 06:55 AM   #10
Friend of the Shack
Platinum Supporter

Otto
Beautiful Colorado

Hi scott,

I'm not sure about that.

-- Otto

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Computers | HTPC | Media Servers »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »