CD Jukeboxes and McCain's Music Library - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 32 Old 10-29-07, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Rex
Rex

Re: CD Jukeboxes and McCain's Music Library

Quote:
Jusbegood wrote: View Post
I'm going to take your suggestion of contacting Mr. McCain. In the meantime, Ive downloaded the User Guide for Music Library 2.5, for a better understanding. It sounds promising, and might solve some of my immediate needs. I'll just put my head into the "Pencil Sharpener" to keep my head in "tip top shape". Thanks for the suggestion!

As far as buying CD's to save yourself the time & effort of ripping your vinyl collection, I would have a problem with that, as a lot of labels don't remaster the albums to CD's.If they do re-master; it's usually a compilation of the artist/s music. Added to that, my vinyl collection goes as far back as the '30's. PRICELESS!

Thanks to all you "music lovers", for the input.
Jusbegood - Please let us know as your project develops. As an aside, which of your huge array of technology (I don't recognize all of the model numbers) is the turntable? I am currently hunting for a Thorens TD124.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 10-30-07, 08:48 AM
Shackster

Jusbe

I have 2 turntables that I like to interchange. I have a Onkyo CP-1044F ca. 1978, and a Pioneer PL-55DX ca. 1975.
The Onkyo TT back then, was built like a tank. It has a straight graphite tonearm with a blue Grado cartridge. Subsequent Onkyo TT's didn't have the quality build like this model.

The Pioneer TT is an even bigger tank. This model was made for the Quad format, that every company was developing at the time. IMHO, this TT has the typical quality build that Pioneer was famous for in the '70's. The quadraphonic format immediately got kicked to the curb; when the audio CD's were introduced in 1982.

You can't go wrong with a Thoren's TT. Just keep manifesting for it, and it'll be in your audio rig in no time. I'll keep you posted as my immediate project develops.

Pioneer|VSX-24TX,CT-F950, SX-V90, PL-55DX
Onkyo CP-1044F TT
JVC: TD-W805
Sony| KF-50WE610, STR-DA3000ES, DVP-CX777ES, CDP-CX450, RCD-W500C
ESS AMT3 Rock Monitors, ESS AMT4's
Signet Center Channel
post #13 of 32 Old 10-30-07, 08:54 AM
Shackster

Jusbe

I have 2 turntables that I like to interchange. I have a Onkyo CP-1044F ca. 1978, and a Pioneer PL-55DX ca. 1975.
The Onkyo TT back then, was built like a tank. It has a straight graphite tonearm with a blue Grado cartridge. Subsequent Onkyo TT's didn't have the quality build like this model.

The Pioneer TT is an even bigger tank. This model was made for the Quad format, that every company was developing at the time. IMHO, this TT has the typical quality build that Pioneer was famous for in the '70's. The quadraphonic format immediately got kicked to the curb; when the audio CD's were introduced in 1982.

You can't go wrong with a Thoren's TT. Just keep manifesting for it, and it'll be in your audio rig in no time. I'll keep you posted as my immediate project develops.[/QUOTE]

Pioneer|VSX-24TX,CT-F950, SX-V90, PL-55DX
Onkyo CP-1044F TT
JVC: TD-W805
Sony| KF-50WE610, STR-DA3000ES, DVP-CX777ES, CDP-CX450, RCD-W500C
ESS AMT3 Rock Monitors, ESS AMT4's
Signet Center Channel
post #14 of 32 Old 12-05-07, 12:07 AM
mcascio
Inactive

Here's my personal top reasons to use hard disk based audio library as opposed to a CD Changer:

Top reasons to use a hard disk based audio library:
1) Instant Music (No waiting for a changer to cue up)
2) Set cross fades between songs (No silence between songs)
3) Hard disk space is continually getting cheaper and cheaper
4) A second drive making regular back ups can provide back up of all your music in case of a hard drive failure
5) Ripping CDs is very fast with a high speed CD Rom drive
6) You can have up to 8 zones of Audio each playing a different song per zone within the software
7) Doesn't take up as much room as multiple CD changers and isn't as noisey
8) EQ builtin for each zone
9) Internet Radio (Free)
10) You can sell off your changers and purchase extra hard drive space and/or other new computer equipment
11) Automatically tags and retrieves cover art
12) There are many programs out there that will support a computer based music system over CD changers

I just saw a 250 GB IDE drive at PacificGeek.com for $59.99. I think TigerDirect recently had a 1 Terrabyte USB 2.0 hard drive for under $200. Now that's a ton of storage.
post #15 of 32 Old 12-05-07, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Rex
Rex

Exclamation Re: CD Jukeboxes and McCain's Music Library

Quote:
mcascio wrote: View Post
5) Ripping CDs is very fast with a high speed CD Rom drive
I have almost 1,200 CDs. How long would it take to rip them?
post #16 of 32 Old 12-05-07, 10:48 AM
mcascio
Inactive

Rex,
It depends. Final format you rip to and the speed of your CD Writer play a big role in the time it will take. Get the fastest CD Rom drive you can or test with an existing one on your system. Then just do the math. You can even rip from multiple PC's simultaneously.

I know we have in development an auto ripping solution for the Sony Vaio 200 Disc Changer. I'll have to check with my dev team to see where that's at. Imagine putting 200 discs in the changer and then walking away and having them all ripped for ya.

I personally buy most of my music from iTunes. It allows me to get only the songs I truly would want to listen to.
post #17 of 32 Old 12-05-07, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Rex
Rex

Quote:
Rex,
It depends. Final format you rip to and the speed of your CD Writer play a big role in the time it will take. Get the fastest CD Rom drive you can or test with an existing one on your system. Then just do the math. You can even rip from multiple PC's simultaneously.

I know we have in development an auto ripping solution for the Sony Vaio 200 Disc Changer. I'll have to check with my dev team to see where that's at. Imagine putting 200 discs in the changer and then walking away and having them all ripped for ya.

I personally buy most of my music from iTunes. It allows me to get only the songs I truly would want to listen to.
It seems buying the fastest cd writer and/or multiple pcs negates any economic advantage. However, the itune appears to use some proprietary (apple) compressed file format. Is that correct?
post #18 of 32 Old 12-05-07, 05:42 PM
mcascio
Inactive

Hi Rex,
Multiple PC's is not a requirement...just one way to speed things up. I probably have 10 pcs laying around the house. The cost of cdrw drives are insanely cheap these days...depending upon how old your PC is, you may be fine with the one you have. They do have a protection scheme; however, they have started to offer some music without it. For me personally, not a major issue. You can always burn them to CD and they are now unprotected.

When you're an impulse buyer like myself, itunes can get real expensive because it's so convenient. If I hear a song I like on XM Satellite, it's downloaded and in my music library before the songs even finished playing on XM. Gotta love the way technology moves and improves.

To be honest, I don't even remember the last CD I bought. Probably been well over 3-4 years.
post #19 of 32 Old 12-05-07, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Rex
Rex

Quote:
Hi Rex,
Multiple PC's is not a requirement...just one way to speed things up. I probably have 10 pcs laying around the house. The cost of cdrw drives are insanely cheap these days...depending upon how old your PC is, you may be fine with the one you have. They do have a protection scheme; however, they have started to offer some music without it. For me personally, not a major issue. You can always burn them to CD and they are now unprotected.

When you're an impulse buyer like myself, itunes can get real expensive because it's so convenient. If I hear a song I like on XM Satellite, it's downloaded and in my music library before the songs even finished playing on XM. Gotta love the way technology moves and improves.

To be honest, I don't even remember the last CD I bought. Probably been well over 3-4 years.
Good luck. I was an Officer - got my taste of being on the point.
post #20 of 32 Old 04-24-11, 05:15 PM

As some may know, William Mc Cain passed away suddenly on January 11, 2011. He took with him his "secrets" of Music Library---at least so far. I have not been able to speak to his wife or anyone else associated with Bill. His web site is still up, but surely it will come down at some point. In the meantime, no one is apparently running his business. I am looking for a copy of his Music Library for Mac. If anyone is using that software and has the capability of burning a CDR of the application, please contact me to arrange for a small "donation" for your trouble. Again, his software is currently NOT being sold, so I am not requesting that anyone do anything illegal.