Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

SATA cables - angled dual connection

4K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  mechman 
#1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has ever run across a dual angled SATA cable. The SATA connectors on my motherboard are stacked in pairs and are really close to the wall of my case. One of the SATA connectors will be blocked if I use a typical angled SATA connector. Has anyone seen SATA cables that will be able to connect to these stacked connectors?

#4 ·
Mike,

I've never seen a 'dual' SATA cable. They are always single. If you want to utilize both SATA ports on your motherboard, buy two cables. They're cheap!

As for the 90 degrees, they're pretty common now.

mech

#5 ·
Mike,

I just went and looked at that motherboard. I see how the SATA ports are situated now. Are you saying that you have no room to plug in a straight SATA cable on the bottom and a 90 on top? No room for that in the case? I'm going to be near Micro Center today. I'll stop in there and see if they have something for this.

Normally though, I'd put a straight connector on the bottom and a 90 on top.

mech

#7 ·
hi mech,

Yes, exactly! I have everything for my HTPC build now except for the CPU. After attaching the straight SATA connectors to the motherboard, I could not get the motherboard to go in without using a lot of force. It could be that the connectors on the stock SATA cable that came with the MB are just a smidgen too large. They are about an inch long.

Please let me know if you find something at Micro today, either the "dual" connector or a SATA cable with a shorter connector (3/4 inch or less).

#11 ·
Problem Solved!

Hi guys,

I received new left angled non-locking SATA cables today. One end of the cable has an angled connector and the other end is straight. The connector on the straight end is shorter than the locking SATA connector on my existing cable. With minimal work I can wiggle the new straight connector into place on the motherboard. Hooray! So it looks like I'll have no problems using all four SATA connections on my motherboard. Thank you to everyone who replied.

-Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.