CSS SDX10 Ported Build Thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > Creative Sound Solutions
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 61226 - Replies: 98  
Old 02-01-09, 09:32 PM   #1
Elite Shackster

OJ
Since: Oct 2006
Toronto, Ontario
My System
I started this thread.
CSS SDX10 Ported Build Thread

I have finally been able to start my second sub build, and it is long overdue. First of all, I have to thank Sonny and the Shack, and Bob and Creative Sound Solutions for the driver, via this past summer's contest thread. I had some early plans, which I mostly stuck to, and the enclosure is a pretty standard ported 1.56 cubic ft., tuned to 24.5 Hz. It ends up with a 3" port, 17" long with a roundover at one end.

The amp I chose was the BASH 300, also from CSS, which I ordered when I won the SDX. I'll have some bracing built in when I see how the internals look, and it does use a double thick front baffle. It looks like this will share LFE duties with my old faithful Tempest, depending how they play together. Enough talk, here are some pics, and I'll keep updating as I go.

This is a very nicely built driver, with some good looking binding posts.

I almost missed the smell of MDF dust!

This is a pretty small sub, almost like a slightly larger, fatter tower PC case.

It's also packaged pretty tightly, but everything should fit well.

Front firing, and I'll have to do a decent job finishing it since I want it up front in the room.

I got as far as cutting out the amp mounting hole, and rounding over the inside edge.

I know it won't really do anything, but I want to round over all inside edges anyway. Makes me feel better.

More to come soon...

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-09, 09:32 PM   #2
Elite Shackster

OJ
Toronto, Ontario
My System
I started this thread.
Re: CSS SDX10 Ported Build Thread

*** SPECIAL SIDE PROJECT ACTION ***

Since I wanted to do everything a little nicer, a little cleaner, and a little better this time around, I decided to do the driver cutouts with a router, using a jig, instead of hand cutting with a jigsaw and having ugly wavy lines. This necessitated the construction of the jig. thanks to some very informative posts here at the Shack, I think we were able to get off to a good start.

The jig is made from 1/4" plexiglass. Here it is taped to the original router piece for sizing.

Drilling the holes...

...and countersinking.

Test fit went well.

Out comes the centre hole...

And we taped a line...

...and marked out the measured locations where the pivot holes would be for standard 8" to 15" drivers (for mounting and flush mounting.

UPDATE: Here it is just about finished and ready to try some test cutouts

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and it worked quite well in the end.

- OJ -
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter

Last edited by Owen Bartley; 02-06-09 at 10:27 PM..

Old 02-01-09, 09:57 PM   #3
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Mike
Since: Apr 2007
Chitek Lake, Sask.

Nice cabinet work. What will you be setting the high pass filter to?

Old 02-01-09, 10:25 PM   #4
HTS Hillbilly

I'm a redneck!
Since: Apr 2006
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
My System

I have one of these that I may use in the great room after I move the Pulse out to the HT room. This will give me a good idea of something I can follow. I look forward to seeing the finished project and the results.

Sonnie Parker
Customer Service Associate
SVSound
www.svsound.com
custservice@svsound.com

Old 02-02-09, 05:45 AM   #5
Elite Shackster

OJ
Toronto, Ontario
My System
I started this thread.

Thanks Mike. I actually somehow managed to mess up the length on the sides, which is why there's a 3/4" overlap in the pic with the amp. Then when I saw it, I contemplated leaving it as a "design feature" to help protect the connections at the back.

Based on this spec sheet, it seems to have 1db of boost from 25-30Hz, but I haven't been able to determine if there is a rumble filter or not. If that's true, I'll just leave it alone, but I'd rather not have it cutting any of the signal above tuning.

Sonnie, I'll keep you updated. It seems like you have your hands full with your next big project, which I'll be following too! This little guy's not quite in that league, but so far it seems like it will be a great small sub.

- OJ -
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter

Old 02-02-09, 07:31 AM   #6
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Mike
Chitek Lake, Sask.

The Filter Fc is the frequency of the rumble filter. The default value is 17.7 hz.

Name:  filter.JPG
Views: 9606
Size:  9.0 KB

Old 02-02-09, 10:19 AM   #7
Elite Shackster

OJ
Toronto, Ontario
My System
I started this thread.

Either I was really sleepy when I was looking that up last night, or incredibly lazy. I'll probably just leave it at the default value, but now that I'm looking over it with fresh eyes, and comparing to the Win ISD model you made in my old thread, it might be pretty nice to have the 3 or 4db boost around 25Hz (green). Would that just wreak havoc on the excursion do you think, or would I be safe at reasonable listening levels with 300w? It's still technically above the designed tuning frequency.

- OJ -
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter

Old 02-02-09, 01:19 PM   #8
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Mike
Chitek Lake, Sask.

With a 22.8 high pass filter and 3 db of boost you'll reach Xmax at 33 hz with 110 watts and have a large hump in the response. With a 20.4 HPF and 1 db of boost Xmax is reached at 33 hz with 300 watts, a much better choice.

Old 02-02-09, 02:02 PM   #9
Elite Shackster

OJ
Toronto, Ontario
My System
I started this thread.

Thanks Mike, I guess that makes my choice easy. It's amazing how thoroughly I've forgotten how to model a speaker and check parameters like that after a few months away from it. And I can always tweak the response with the BFD if I want to add a little more low end boost and tame earlier humps.

- OJ -
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter

Old 02-03-09, 06:06 AM   #10
Elite Shackster

OJ
Toronto, Ontario
My System
I started this thread.

Small update today. I decided to order one of the flared port kits from CSS to compliment the CSS amp and driver, so I should have a 3FP kit coming soon.

Now I have to adjust the length for the flares on each end to keep my tune, but is there a formula for that, or a general rule of thumb? I was set on a 17" port without the flare.

- OJ -
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > Creative Sound Solutions »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »