Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

SDX 15 with Passive Radiators

4K views 23 replies 4 participants last post by  Machahee 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new to this forum but I have been a lurker for a while now. I've been doing a lot of research on a sub build I would like to try and would like to get some info from people much more knowledgeable in the subject than myself heh.

I'm looking at 1 SDX15 with 2 APR 15 Radiators being powered off an ED LT 1300. I've seen the plans of others where the box is roughly 6 cu ft in volume or slightly larger. I would like to try to get the box to roughly 5 cu ft or so if I can. I have modeled a 5 cu ft setup in winisd with 900grams on the passives which shows a tune of 19 hz. From what I can interpret the plot looks very smooth.

I would like something really impressive for theater use but still be able to have a nice chest slam for music...so maybe around a 22hz tune? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#3 ·
I would like something really impressive for theater use but still be able to have a nice chest slam for music...so maybe around a 22hz tune? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Chest slam is also called body cavity resonance. It ranges from 150 to 170 hz. For comparison Kick drum is at or around 100 to 120 hz. The lowest string B flat on a six string bass is around 32 hz. SO chest slam is a function of how loud you are pushing upper bass lower midrange. Your sub is usually out of the picture up that high in frequency. The chest slam comes from the main speakers. If they do not have the cone area to get loud enough they are the culprits not the sub.

Mark

#4 ·
Thanks for the replys. Thanks for the defintion of "chest slam" I wasnt aware it was higher in the frequency band so I guess Im not too concerned about having that in the sub hehe. Yes I noticed that the amp has two generations, I would definitely be getting the one with the hpf built in with this type of arrangement.

#6 ·
Right, it's one of the reasons I want to go with pr's for the tweakability. My main question I have I guess is will dropping roughly a cubic foot off the ideal cubic foot winisd recommends hurt much. From what I can gather is there will be a steeper roll off below 30hz but cone excursion seems to be ok still. Sorry for the simplistic questions I'm more accustomed to sealed boxes and playin with the size affects the q which effects the sound of the sub. Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
A smaller cabinet will require more weight on th PR's. It will lower sensitivity and also create a bump in the midbass response. But the bump won't be that large of a peak.

The grestest loss will be a db or two on ouput.

Mark

#9 ·
Thanks guys that's what I was looking for. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't forgetting something. I was looking at the kit CSS has for the 15 and it has the Dayton amp bundled with it. Does that amp have a built in hpf? The savings with the bundle is nice even though it was out of stock as of yesterday.

#12 ·
Thanks again for the info guys you have been most helpful. Hi, Bob thanks for letting me know that, was going to send you an email hehe. I'm not in a big rush really. I understand if you can't say but is there an ETA on when we might see the MkII Kit for sale? I would imagine it will be worth the wait! :D

#18 ·
Well I'm sure you guys won't let anyone down with it regardless hehe. I just put in an order for the quartet kit, was gonna do 2 of these but just gonna build one for now and upgrade my main room to the new drivers when they come available. I'll probably move this sub to a secondary room where only one sub will be necessary. You can never have too many subs hehe :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.