Well, it's been longer than I anticipated since my last update so I thought I'd post up what little progress I've made.
Time to work on this is in short supply all of a sudden but I need to get this and a few other projects done before the summer really starts to kick in. Otherwise, they may not get done until the fall.
The flush trimming of the box required a larger bit than I had on hand so I bought a 1/2" shank, 1 1/2" flute, double bearing flush trim bit. That was just enough to handle the double thick MDF sides and front. I then filled any imperfections with bondo and sanded everything smooth. I installed the hurricane nuts and some 3/4" Sonic Barrier on the top, bottom and the back. Not sure if I'm going to need any stuffing inside there as well. Any thoughts?
As mentioned earlier, I had thought I would try wrapping the veneer around some 3/4" round over’s but the box is simply too big for this to work with the veneer available to me. With the grains direction on the 4x8 sheets the way it is, I can't even go completely around two sides. So, a compromise is bevels. I now have much more freedom for selecting and cutting the pieces of veneer out of the sheet. Should be less waste too.
I used a guide with a circular saw to ensure nice straight bevels. A little sanding to clean up a few swirls from the blade and it was done.
Hopefully I can get going on the veneer this week. I don’t think I’ll predict when the next update will be. I’m not very good at it.