Css trio 12 loaded horn - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 143 Old 11-15-11, 06:13 PM
Shackster
Mose

Re: Css trio 12 loaded horn

OK.

I got some pictures in a separate thread:

Build Thread

...mose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 143 Old 11-15-11, 10:00 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark

Mose had a ten inch NHT sub before.

I'm guessing that there is just a bit of difference in available output.

I have built speakers professionally since 1989. This is by far the baddest sub I have ever built. It even bests a five fifteen LLT I built in the mid 90's.

One thing that is cool is that the cabinet itself does not really vibrate that much. I'm hoping that you have the same experience Mose. It would certainly be a pain if your ceiling was constantly rattling.

Mark

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
post #23 of 143 Old 11-16-11, 10:23 AM
Shackster
Mose

I was initially worried about how to mount it without causing the ceiling to rattle. I considered hanging it from the top chords of the trusses and building a port gasket out of innner-tube. But after I tested it for a while on the wood floor of the living room, I realized that it hardly moved.

In the attic, I just ran a 3/4" wide strip of foam weatherstripping around the mouth I framed in the ceiling as well as along the truss spans that it crosses. I ran it for a few days before I got around to screwing down a few 'L' brackets to keep it in place. It hadn't moved at all.

...mose
post #24 of 143 Old 11-16-11, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
That's interesting. Part of my initial idea was to "hide" a sub like this by making it function as a bluray shelf as well. I'm starting to consider that again based on what you've said about the cabinet not vibrating. I would simply attach a shelving unit (self made) to the side and paint it all the same color so it looks like one unit. Maybe small lips on the shelves so nothing falls off in the heat of the battle, so to speak.

Kadijk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #25 of 143 Old 11-18-11, 01:42 PM
Senior Shackster
Adam

If anyone has seen the pictures from the DIY GTG in ottawa last january, then you'd see that i'm the guy who decided that the subwoofer looked like a great place to take a nap. In fact, you can barely feel any vibration when laying on top of it while its in use, A properly braced box shouldnt vibrate heavily. ever.
post #26 of 143 Old 11-18-11, 01:49 PM
Senior Shackster

Doug

Quote:
Binary wrote: View Post
If anyone has seen the pictures from the DIY GTG in ottawa last january, then you'd see that i'm the guy who decided that the subwoofer looked like a great place to take a nap. In fact, you can barely feel any vibration when laying on top of it while its in use, A properly braced box shouldnt vibrate heavily. ever.
I think this may be the photo to which you are referring:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post451733

Theatre Build:
post #27 of 143 Old 11-18-11, 02:59 PM
Senior Shackster
Adam

Oh no! You found me! Lol. Yep that's the one.
post #28 of 143 Old 11-18-11, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Just having fun with my new found skill: picture insertion and url linking. I have started a build thread now that I'm almost finished ( who's got time while there's work to do?). It is http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...d-journal.html and includes a plan of the room and location of the planned Trio12 horn loaded subwoofer. Mark advised earlier that loaded horns like corners, in fact use corners to their advantage. That's handy since a cabinet like that really only fits in corners in most theaters. I would naturally want to face the horn opening towards the seats as if coming from the front. Does that make sense, or should I think about facing it sideways? Remember that my sealed 10" subs will move to the front eventually and face the seats as well. I want to avoid creating a suck out problem, and I already have some wierd nulls and peaks because of the room dimensions( I think). When I first set up the equipment in the room I had the 2 10" subs on the side wall mid points facing towards each other, and there was basically no bass in the room ( and lots on the other side of the basement 30 feet away!)

Thanks for your interest and comments...

Quick side question...how do I make my url link into a word like " here " or " there"?

Kadijk

post #29 of 143 Old 11-19-11, 09:45 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark

Before you get all set on where your subs go you are going to have to move them around to find their happy places. The horn will behave a bit better as it tends to load a room in a much different manner. It's hard to explain just that it seems to fill up a room in a way that is really hard to duplicate with little boxes.

As for your needing the ten inch subs and the TRIO12 horn you will find out. I'm thinking that your puny little tens will run for cover when you fire up the big boy!

Loading the room from the location you posted in your other thread can give you a number of possibilities. Mouth close to concrete floor is probably the best. But don't be scared to turn the mouth towards the corner and pull it away from the wall in inch increments and listen like that. You can tailor the sound to a degree by the location of the mouth of the horn to the closest boundaries.

Mark

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
post #30 of 143 Old 11-19-11, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
That's very interesting...I didn't think that one could face the horn into the corner. Tuning and placing this sounds like an excuse to spend time fooling around in my theater. Shucks.

Kadijk