Css trio 12 loaded horn - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound XTZ Sound OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Standout Design DSP Axiom Audio

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > Creative Sound Solutions
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 22907 - Replies: 142  
Old 11-15-11, 06:13 PM   #21
Shackster

Mose
Since: Jan 2009
Portland Oregon USA
Re: Css trio 12 loaded horn

OK.

I got some pictures in a separate thread:

Build Thread

...mose

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-11, 10:00 PM   #22
Senior Shackster

Mark
Since: Jul 2009
Perth Ontario Canada

Mose had a ten inch NHT sub before.

I'm guessing that there is just a bit of difference in available output.

I have built speakers professionally since 1989. This is by far the baddest sub I have ever built. It even bests a five fifteen LLT I built in the mid 90's.

One thing that is cool is that the cabinet itself does not really vibrate that much. I'm hoping that you have the same experience Mose. It would certainly be a pain if your ceiling was constantly rattling.

Mark

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Old 11-16-11, 10:23 AM   #23
Shackster

Mose
Since: Jan 2009
Portland Oregon USA

I was initially worried about how to mount it without causing the ceiling to rattle. I considered hanging it from the top chords of the trusses and building a port gasket out of innner-tube. But after I tested it for a while on the wood floor of the living room, I realized that it hardly moved.

In the attic, I just ran a 3/4" wide strip of foam weatherstripping around the mouth I framed in the ceiling as well as along the truss spans that it crosses. I ran it for a few days before I got around to screwing down a few 'L' brackets to keep it in place. It hadn't moved at all.

...mose

Old 11-16-11, 11:51 AM   #24
Senior Shackster

Since: Jan 2011
Lethbridge, Alberta
My System
I started this thread.

That's interesting. Part of my initial idea was to "hide" a sub like this by making it function as a bluray shelf as well. I'm starting to consider that again based on what you've said about the cabinet not vibrating. I would simply attach a shelving unit (self made) to the side and paint it all the same color so it looks like one unit. Maybe small lips on the shelves so nothing falls off in the heat of the battle, so to speak.

Old 11-18-11, 01:42 PM   #25
Senior Shackster

Adam
Since: Nov 2009

If anyone has seen the pictures from the DIY GTG in ottawa last january, then you'd see that i'm the guy who decided that the subwoofer looked like a great place to take a nap. In fact, you can barely feel any vibration when laying on top of it while its in use, A properly braced box shouldnt vibrate heavily. ever.

Old 11-18-11, 01:49 PM   #26
Senior Shackster

Doug
Since: May 2011
Kelowna, BC, Canada

Quote:
Binary wrote: View Post
If anyone has seen the pictures from the DIY GTG in ottawa last january, then you'd see that i'm the guy who decided that the subwoofer looked like a great place to take a nap. In fact, you can barely feel any vibration when laying on top of it while its in use, A properly braced box shouldnt vibrate heavily. ever.
I think this may be the photo to which you are referring:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post451733

Theatre Build: Portland Place

Old 11-18-11, 02:59 PM   #27
Senior Shackster

Adam
Since: Nov 2009

Oh no! You found me! Lol. Yep that's the one.

Old 11-18-11, 09:55 PM   #28
Senior Shackster

Lethbridge, Alberta
My System
I started this thread.

Just having fun with my new found skill: picture insertion and url linking. I have started a build thread now that I'm almost finished ( who's got time while there's work to do?). It is http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...d-journal.html and includes a plan of the room and location of the planned Trio12 horn loaded subwoofer. Mark advised earlier that loaded horns like corners, in fact use corners to their advantage. That's handy since a cabinet like that really only fits in corners in most theaters. I would naturally want to face the horn opening towards the seats as if coming from the front. Does that make sense, or should I think about facing it sideways? Remember that my sealed 10" subs will move to the front eventually and face the seats as well. I want to avoid creating a suck out problem, and I already have some wierd nulls and peaks because of the room dimensions( I think). When I first set up the equipment in the room I had the 2 10" subs on the side wall mid points facing towards each other, and there was basically no bass in the room ( and lots on the other side of the basement 30 feet away!)

Thanks for your interest and comments...

Quick side question...how do I make my url link into a word like " here " or " there"?

Old 11-19-11, 09:45 AM   #29
Senior Shackster

Mark
Since: Jul 2009
Perth Ontario Canada

Before you get all set on where your subs go you are going to have to move them around to find their happy places. The horn will behave a bit better as it tends to load a room in a much different manner. It's hard to explain just that it seems to fill up a room in a way that is really hard to duplicate with little boxes.

As for your needing the ten inch subs and the TRIO12 horn you will find out. I'm thinking that your puny little tens will run for cover when you fire up the big boy!

Loading the room from the location you posted in your other thread can give you a number of possibilities. Mouth close to concrete floor is probably the best. But don't be scared to turn the mouth towards the corner and pull it away from the wall in inch increments and listen like that. You can tailor the sound to a degree by the location of the mouth of the horn to the closest boundaries.

Mark

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Old 11-19-11, 11:11 AM   #30
Senior Shackster

Lethbridge, Alberta
My System
I started this thread.

That's very interesting...I didn't think that one could face the horn into the corner. Tuning and placing this sounds like an excuse to spend time fooling around in my theater. Shucks.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > Creative Sound Solutions »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »