TRIO12 HORN Attic Sub Build - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 20 Old 11-15-11, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Mose

Re: TRIO12 HORN Attic Sub Build

I really like not having anything in the living room. I mounted the O-audio Bash 300W plate amp in the wall behind the TV stand. Easy hook up and tweaking.

I don't know much about placement and room nodes. All I can say is that I think I got lucky as the lows seem to HEAVILY reinforce around the perimeter where the seating is, then there is a dead spot in the middle of the room.

I had to cut squares out of 1" thick foam to place under the CD player feet as it was BADLY losing it's tracking and would cut out for about 5 seconds when the bass would hit. The most fun thing to play is Dubstep sort of 'music' like Skrillex. So far we've lost a candle and some small photo albums won't stay on the shelf. From outside the house, anything hanging on the exterior walls rattle as the walls vibrate. It's nuts.

...mose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 11-15-11, 07:21 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Mose, really nice job! I've never worked with a biscuit joiner(being a framer there's not much need for one of those) so I wouldn't have thought to use them in a osb application. But they sure make for a strong box! And hiding in the atic is a beast that growls...no large cabinet to deal with. I have a dedicated theater so mine will sit unobtrusively in the corner, waiting to attack. I'm so impressed with Marks design and the efficiency of the system. The only word that comes to mind is awesome.
You say it's great with music...how about movies? (Mark reassures me it will be incredible).

Kadijk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-15-11, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Mose

I haven't watched many movies yet. But the first movie I watched, I had to crank the LFE level WAY down from where I had it for my existing 10" sub. Otherwise it was overwhelming. Yes, it really shakes for movies.

As Mark mentioned, you can turn this thing way down to a level that you don't immediately notice. Then it doesn't sound like a traditional sub, where you clearly hear/feel the boom that it adds. Instead, it just reveals added content to nearly everything. Rap, synthetic, and pop music sound ok with really enhanced bass since it's not 'real' anyway. But accoustic music, movie dialog, etc. don't sound good with grossly overboosted bass. Thus there's WAY more than enough output for movies and such. Although it's also impressive when you boost the hell out of the lows and turn your house into a dance club.

The only problem I've found is that some sources seem to have unwanted content. For example if you have it on when watching 5.1 cable broadcasts, some have undesireable LF noise content. It's almost as if the person who mixes/levels the source doesn't have anything to reveal this content (headphones?), so it goes unfiltered. I really doubt that Brian Williams or Diane Sawyer produce content around 20Hz, but I can hear something going on!

...mose
post #14 of 20 Old 11-15-11, 09:53 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark

Mose you are one crazy guy!

I like the ladder pic. Up, up and away.

Here is my method:

TRIO12 HORN Attic Sub Build-tractor-sub.jpg

For one and all. OSB 7/16" is more than enough to build this box. Mose must have worked like a dog to get that box into his attic. But what a thing to scare the pants off of unsuspecting listeners. Where's the bass coming from? Stealth subwoofer I like it!

Mark

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
post #15 of 20 Old 11-16-11, 04:36 PM
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Quote:
mose wrote: View Post
The only problem I've found is that some sources seem to have unwanted content. For example if you have it on when watching 5.1 cable broadcasts, some have undesireable LF noise content. It's almost as if the person who mixes/levels the source doesn't have anything to reveal this content (headphones?), so it goes unfiltered.
Yup - you get used to it. I find many HGTV Canada shows are like that, especially Holmes Inspection. Mike's trying to explain something, and yet the LFE is going nuts. It's kind of fun, actually.

That ladder picture... glad it wasn't me on there. I weigh 260lbs - it wouldn't have held me like that.

Nice work on the build.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-10-11, 01:43 PM
Shackster

Question about the attic mounting and ceiling penetration. It looks like you were able to sit down flush against the ceiling joists so you've got a manifold about 3.5" to the surface of the ceiling below. In my case I've got some pipes and cables up there that I'll have to mount the enclosure about 2" above my 2x6 ceiling joists. That would mean a manifold of about 8" down to the surface of the ceiling. Any problems with that? Can it just be straight or does it need to flare out? What did you use for a grille?

Great build, thanks for posting!
post #17 of 20 Old 12-10-11, 10:34 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark

You can add a ducted flange out of the exit of the horn without really changing the response. It is already 23 feet long. A few more inches makes little to no difference.

Mark

___________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-12-11, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Mose

The grille cover is a frame made from some 3/4" stock with a 45 degree bevel ripped on it. I biscuited the corners just to make assemble easy. Then I stretched white grille cloth over it and attached it with hot glue. Screwed it to the truss chords and popped screw covers over the heads.

...mose
post #19 of 20 Old 03-10-12, 03:57 AM
Senior Shackster
favelle

That. Is. Amazing. Nice work man....that is LFE dedication.
post #20 of 20 Old 10-27-12, 01:54 PM
Shackster

Nice installation!