Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Customized Low-Noise Processor Cooling

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  AudiocRaver 
#1 ·
Not really a full-blown DIY project, but I will post it anyway.

My media server / speaker EQ machine needs improved processor cooling. The processor type is a Phenom II x4 945. This is a Windows 7 x64 machine with 8 GHz of memory, put together from unused parts. I pulled the existing power supply out of the case and replaced it with the Nexus VALUE 430 430W Active PFC Quiet Power Supply, very quiet and provides plenty of power for this hardware set. Other cooling fans have been replaced with Noctua very-low-noise fans.

The part in question is the processor cooling heat sink and fan assembly. I originally installed a used one I had on hand and it performed quite well with fairly low noise. Recently the fan quit. I temporarily replaced it with a slightly-larger fan pulled from the emergency parts bin and laid it on the heat sink as shown here.

Airflow suffers with this arrangement. Under higher processor load (not very often) I get a CPU temperature warning buzz from the BIOS once in awhile.

Here is what I am ordering, a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes, and two super-quiet fans, the Noctua NF-P12 120mm Two Speed Premium Fan:

Based on the following criteria:
  • Good cooling capability, not the best, but should be enough for this processor with its 4 direct-contact copper heat pipes.
  • No need to pull the motherboard to install. I am lazy enough that it is just not worth the bother, although I would if it was necessary - I did put a nice Noctua cooler in my main PC, which has a Phenom II x6 1055T processor, and had to pull the board to mount it with a support plate on the back side of the board because the higher-capacity coolers require it (weight issues). But this processor should be fine with a medium capacity cooler. The computer lays on its side for instant accessibility, so the weight of the cooler is straight down on the motherboard. I will remove the heat sink anyway if it ever has to be moved/shipped.
  • Dual fans, maximum airflow.
  • Replace the fans with low-noise models by Noctua.

To be continued.....

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.