replace projector lamp with led lamp how to DIY - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers!

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Service | Support > DIY Repair and Maintenance
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 25450 - Replies: 9  
Old 11-06-09, 01:35 PM   #1

esoterikest
Since: Nov 2009
Queens, NY
I started this thread.
replace projector lamp with led lamp how to DIY

Has anyone ever tried to or heard of a how to replace a projector lamp with a led lamp?

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-09, 02:10 PM   #2
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA
Re: replace projector lamp with led lamp how to DIY

There are lots of potential issues with this, not the least of which is the difference in color spectrum between the two types of light sources.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Old 11-07-09, 03:11 AM   #3
Shackster

Krankshaft
Since: Apr 2008

Issue 1: Bypassing the ballast UHP lamp power supply for the projector since the mainboard on most projectors won't even power up if the microcontroller doesn't detect a sustained arc (and light) from the UHP lamp.

Issue 2: Schematics aren't provided for most (computer projectors which I guess is what you're talking about) which would require some reverse engineering to achieve Issue 1 (time consuming).

Issue 3: High lumen output LEDs would be extremely expensive. Also high output LEDs need cooling for the dies just like UHPs do. If you've ever owned a high powered LED flashlight you'd see the heat the dies generate at only a few watts.

Issue 4: Hotspots you would probably have to use an array of LEDs to achieve enough light and without a proper reflector and lenses to bring the separate light sources into convergence with each other you would have sunspots all over the projected image brighter at the center and dimmer on the outside edges of the individual LEDs.

Issue 5: Light output temperature the projectors DLP color wheel or the diachronic color filters in an LCD projector are designed for the color temperature of a UHP lamp. A different temperature from the LEDs would cause colors to be off not to mention the temperature discrepancy of the separate LEDs in the array.

There are many other issues but these are the main hurdles I can think of off the top of my head. Suffice it to say this isn't a weekend project.

Optical trains are designed around the characteristics of the light source which is what makes this such a challenge.

I know UHP lamps are expensive but they are difficult to manufacture and most of them are still handmade by glass blowers and skilled craftsman so that adds into the cost. Not to mention the precision alignment equipment needed to position the arc tubes in the reflector properly.

Last edited by Krankshaft; 11-07-09 at 06:03 AM..

Old 11-10-09, 03:44 PM   #4
Shackster

Mike
Since: May 2008
Portland, OR

I wish it were true. But I think LED's, as nice as they are, are still far away from being economical options for home theaters for the masses.

Old 11-13-09, 06:19 AM   #5
Banned!

andy summers
Since: May 2008
United Kingdom

It would be nice for it to work and cut/reduce wattage and extended life of the light/bulb as replacing a bulb for most video projectors isn’t cheap. That’s why I use my widescreen Panasonic CRT mostly for regular viewing and the LCD video projector for new film DVD/Bluray usage.

So I shouldn’t be replacing my bulb till around late 2010 since I only brought early this year second-hand with new bulb that the owner installed before selling it.

I have seen an LED video projector at Maplin Electronics for 120.00 pounds not sure if the specification is high enough for average fair robust quality?

Old 03-06-11, 05:47 AM   #6

MasterCATZ
Since: Mar 2011

what about using HID ?

they use less power and 6000k bulbs should be a nice white

would a HID survive an UHP's startup or would I have to bypass

yet to look into the voltages ect

my idea is drill into the old reflector housing and just sit the HID in that .. any other electronics needed could fit inside the PJ's casing still ( well in my case any how )

its only for my 3m x 3m bed room

its a old 720p PJ TX100 and do not plan on replacing its LAMP another time
( internal fans driving me crazy its not the LAMP fan it seems to be something else more internal so trying to cut back on the heat the PJ creates )

Old 04-26-11, 07:36 PM   #7
Shackster

Since: Apr 2011

MasterCATZ - did you ever try to put an HID into your PJ housing? sounds like an interesting project...

Old 04-27-11, 08:36 AM   #8
Senior Shackster

JasonPCtech
Since: Apr 2010
Southern Maine
My System

It is doable but as said color temp (how white the light is) and lumens are still just a little short from optimum just yet.
Here are 2 examples:
http://dcroy.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html
and a super ghetto version:
http://www.instructables.com/id/home...cornflake-box/
Enjoy!

Also Google LUMENLAB they used to sell projector kits for DIY they mostly do DIY CNC machines now but there is loads of info in their archives.

Old 04-28-11, 12:10 AM   #9
Shackster

Since: Apr 2011

I remember LUMENLAB, I was going to build a projector based on their design, but decided to buy a real one.

A mini CNC would be handy as well

Old 09-13-12, 02:13 AM   #10

MasterCATZ
Since: Mar 2011

Quote:
GeerGuy wrote: View Post
MasterCATZ - did you ever try to put an HID into your PJ housing? sounds like an interesting project...
sorry for not replying

bypass is this

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4561/yee5iy1tr6.jpg
PSU is this

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-5271075..._2218_33387469
Guide is this

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diy-p...-guide.html
The ballast was pretty easy to bypass after some poking around with a multimeter.

***For those of you that are having trouble bypassing the ballast on any projector***

1 - Find the group of wires that come from the ballast to the main board.
2 - Power the projector on with NO lamp.
3 - Measure the voltages on all the wires connecting to the main board.
4 - Find the wire that is close to +3V
5 - Insert lamp (If you have one) and power on. Measure the voltage of this wire again. The voltage should be around 0V
6 - Connect the spot on the board where that wire connected to a ground on the main board.

This will bypass the lamps for 90% of projectors. It has worked for me on about 8 different models. All else fails just ground each wire and power on and see if the projector stays on. Remember that the wires coming from the board need to be grounded NOT the wires coming from the ballast.

This seems to be a frequent question/problem. Maybe this can be made into a sticky since commercial modding is getting popular.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Service | Support > DIY Repair and Maintenance »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »