LG PT-53A82 Red Power Light then doesn't Power Up - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Service | Support > DIY Repair and Maintenance
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 2416 - Replies: 10  
Old 01-08-12, 06:34 AM   #1
Shackster

Since: Jan 2012
I started this thread.
Unhappy LG PT-53A82 Red Power Light then doesn't Power Up

Hi all
This is my very first Thread
First of all i wish all the best for all the guys who are experienced and take their time to help peoples like me with a great Hope of repair and make dead electronics alive...Thank You so so much

I came here with a great Hopes after searching tremendous hours for the solution i wish i find here

I got LG rear projection TV model :- PT-53A82
My TV when i plug into the socket it just gives Red Power Light and when i press TV button to "On" the TV that red Power Light Just Dims a bit for few seconds (As if it wanted to take some load to start) then comes again to Normal red light But there is no picture no sound nothing just red power light..
I can also hear some sound like "Sizzzz" something like that ...

Please help me out on this ....

Thank You
Aveni

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-12, 08:24 AM   #2
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA
Re: LG PT-53A82 Red Power Light then doesn't Power Up

I do not recognize this model number. Where are you located?

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Old 01-08-12, 10:03 AM   #3
Shackster

I started this thread.

Thank You for your replay..
I suspect the smps i attached the service manual and i willl attach the real pics after a while .. But now i attached the SMPS picture ...
Please can you tell me where can be the problem...

http://i40.tinypic.com/mbsjuq.jpg

Its similar models to : LG pl-43a82t+48a82t+PT53a82t=chassis mp-015a Just the difference is the sizes

I attached the pic of tv when it was working ..

Attachments

Last edited by masterprince; 01-08-12 at 10:22 AM..

Old 01-08-12, 10:32 AM   #4
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

Check your power on line from syscon to the power supply and monitor the various voltages when you try to turn it on. Look for shorts that may be loading it down and see if the power on circuit is functioning.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.

Old 01-08-12, 10:53 AM   #5
Shackster

I started this thread.

Sorry but please is it possible to explain a bit more hope u dont mind...

I attached smps Picture

Attachments

Last edited by masterprince; 01-08-12 at 11:37 AM..

Old 01-08-12, 07:39 PM   #6
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

You will need at least a multimeter and will need to test the voltages as well as the likely components. You will need a schematic and some knowledge of electronic troubleshooting. The first step will be to identify the power on line to see if the power supply is getting the command to turn on. If it is and there is no power up, you need to determine if the power supply is starting up or not and whether there is a load keeping it from running.

Old 01-09-12, 02:08 AM   #7
Shackster

I started this thread.

Hi again and thank you so much for your instant replay
I am from India and the TV is made in India itself
I checked the voltage and its 220v and then there is one connector which when i "ON" the tv it gives me Voltage of 217v as weel but when the TV is "OFF" it doesn't give me any reading ....
Yes i am using multimeter .
I attached the Picture Please now guide me for the next step
I verified the current is flowing good and i am getting 220v and there are no signs of Bubble top on the capacitors . I wish if i had online capasitense Multimeter tester or ESR but anyway as far as i know visual indications will also work for the capacitors ....

Attachments

Old 01-25-12, 06:09 AM   #8
Ile
Shackster

Since: Nov 2010
Finland

Quote:
masterprince wrote: View Post
I wish if i had online capasitense Multimeter tester or ESR but anyway as far as i know visual indications will also work for the capacitors ....
Just fixed one LG smps and secondary filter caps looked ok and capasitances measured ok, but still smps output voltage lines was below nominal. Don't have ESR meter so I had to swap all secondary filter caps, now it's working fine.

I guess problem is that they used caps meant for general use, not low ESR long life caps meant for smps.

Old 02-19-12, 06:37 AM   #9
Shackster

I started this thread.

Thanks Ile for your replay
So is it wise to replace all secondary cap?
The Problem i had is that i can feel the power is not produced enough to start the tv and 99% problem seems from cap as u said but which one is the key?

Old 02-19-12, 07:40 AM   #10
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

I highly recommend getting a service manual and being very careful before proceding. While power supplies that don't run are often due to bad capacitors, there are many other potential problems. The first setp is to determine which of the secondary voltages are coming up, if any.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Service | Support > DIY Repair and Maintenance »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »