CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Closed Thread

post #21 of 305 Old 11-09-07, 09:26 AM
Shackster
Gil

Re: CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs

Thanks for the input. I will continue to use the "wall wart" it is easier that way too. The TV has been working flawlessly. I'm as happy as a bug in warm poop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 305 Old 11-09-07, 01:40 PM
Trailerboy
Inactive

OK. took the board out and seem to have a blown resistor. can i run the tv for a short and not cook the new ic's till i get a new resistor, or not good idea?
post #23 of 305 Old 11-09-07, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Never run any product with a known bad part, especially a convergence circuit with even one bad resistor. They are there for a reason and it is very possible to cause more problems.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #24 of 305 Old 11-11-07, 05:35 PM
Jetguy
Inactive

Thanks to all the great info I was able to swap out the original convergence chips for aPT53W53G with 2 new -150's and everything works like new. All of your advice and comments were spot on.
post #25 of 305 Old 11-12-07, 08:32 PM
Trailerboy
Inactive

OK folks, here's the scoop. I changed out the convergence chips on my 43UWX10B from STK392-110's to the new Hitachi STK394-160's. I also ended up swapping out the RK50 resistor, a 2.2ohm 1W, metal oxide resistor. The first run was a tough one. The screen was completely FUBAR'd and I thought all hope was lost. The blue was so far out I thought it would never come back. On top of things, my son and I began to smell something burning, and upon inspection behind the TV noticed the RK50 was glowing cherry red. I immediately unplugged the TV and was gonna give up. I had an extinguisher nearby, and said "screw it, i'm going for it". 20 minutes later in the DCAM and it actually looked really good. I was definately impressed with the picture, it seemed to be just fine. I unplugged the TV and metered the resistor, it was now cool and metered to 3ohms, outside the 5% tolerance of the 2.2. I attributed the bad resistor to the new convergence chips and the TV being so far out of whack. Luckily, I bought two, replaced it again, now with no glowing sensation, ran DCAM again, ran magic focus a couple times, and all seems to be extremely well. I am very happy with the picture, and the high-def kicks A@#! I want to thank all of you again for your help, and I hope I don't need it, but if I do, I'll know where to look.
post #26 of 305 Old 11-23-07, 01:17 AM
ainc
Inactive

lcaillo, you rock!
Thanks for your time and sharing your knowledge. As a newbie I learned 2 tings. First, I'm probably going to pay someone with experience to do the repair (don't want to burn down the house). Second, the tech I had originally called for a quote is a bum! He quoted $600 and wasn't a fraction the professional you are. Thanks for your help!
post #27 of 305 Old 11-23-07, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

You are welcome, but please post some details about the repair when you get it done. I would be curious what it ends up costing and where you are located. While $600 for a convergence repair is twice or more what I charge, some parts of NY have a cost of doing business that is proportionally that high. If you do get it done significantly cheaper by a legitimate business, I would be very curious to know the names of the shops so that we can quiz them on how they price repairs. Consumers need to understand how servicers come to charge what they do. Some are a rip-off, but many just are trying to make a living.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #28 of 305 Old 11-24-07, 06:29 AM
j.m.s.
Inactive

Hello, My Pioneer sd-533hd5 broke agin. I had the convergence chips repaired last year for $600. Now when I try to turn on TV it turns right off. I checked all fuses and they are fine. There is a red led light on , on one of the boards. Is there a way I can fix this myself, is it related to convergence repair? To pay another $600 for a 6 yr old tv seems rediculous. At that point I could have bought another brand new one. Any help would be very appreciated,

Thanks, Joe
post #29 of 305 Old 11-24-07, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

I don't do a lot of Pioneer anymore, but over the years I have learned that most pioneer sets need to have hundreds of solder connections re-done, as they never seemed to master the process of getting parts soldered in a manner that would last very many years. There are lots of possibilities and one would need some troubleshooting experience and service literature to do any real evaluation of the set, but I rarely service a Pioneer that does not start with resoldering lots of connections.

post #30 of 305 Old 11-27-07, 09:25 PM
bdrew
Inactive

Hi, great info!! I should be able to put it to good use. But first, I must be sure the problem I see is due to a convergence failure. It seems the only issue is with the blue. There are arcing blue lines through the bottom 1/3 of the picture and the upper corners are blue. I attached a couple pictures to illistrate. Please take a look and advise.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs-img_0352.jpg  

CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs-img_0350.jpg  

Closed Thread