CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Service | Support > DIY Repair and Maintenance
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Closed Thread     Post New Thread
Views: 174879 - Replies: 304  
Old 11-29-07, 04:08 PM   #41
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA
I started this thread.
Re: CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs

Quote:
bdrew wrote: View Post
Icaillo,
Thanks, I'll order individual STKs. Where is a good source to order a schematic? I'd like to know what resistor locations to check and have an idea what resistance to expect. Is it a good idea to relace the caps as well?
Thanks again!

Brad
The resistors that usually get damaged are the ones on the output of the ICs. It is not common to need to replace capacitors in most convergence repairs. The sure way to get a service manual is to go through the manufacturer or its authorized parts distributors. You might also find places to download it online. I will caution you that navigation the electronic versions of the Panasonic manuals is the most astoundingly obtuse of any electronic documents I have ever seen. The paper versions are more easy to figure out for most people. You also may not get everything in versions provided online outside of Panasonic's distribution.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Forum Rules
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-07, 05:00 PM   #42
bdrew
Inactive

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
The resistors that usually get damaged are the ones on the output of the ICs. It is not common to need to replace capacitors in most convergence repairs. The sure way to get a service manual is to go through the manufacturer or its authorized parts distributors. You might also find places to download it online. I will caution you that navigation the electronic versions of the Panasonic manuals is the most astoundingly obtuse of any electronic documents I have ever seen. The paper versions are more easy to figure out for most people. You also may not get everything in versions provided online outside of Panasonic's distribution.
Thanks again sir! I was able to find the STK394-250A (to replace STK392-110) at ACME for $13.49 each!! They are around $25 elsewhere. They claim they are original Sanyo parts...but the price is quite low. I guess I'm the suspicious type I value your opinion
It sounds like I can do without the schematics...maybe just follow the traces from the output pins. But I may need the service manual for alignments??
It appears I nearly have all the info I need....then I can quit bugging you. It's been very enlightening!

Brad

Forum Rules
Old 11-29-07, 07:01 PM   #43
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA
I started this thread.

Acme is one of the few suppliers that goes to great lengths to assure that they provide only first quality original parts. They also have some of the best prices. I would verify with them that the stk394-250 is a good sub for the stk392-110. I think that it may have a different muting circuit and may not work in some sets. I use the STK394-160 to replace the STK392-110 and have never had a problem. I have only used the -250 in sets that were designed around it. Glen at Acme should be able to give you the scoop. Just email him. I don't buy the -160 from him because I get them in the Hitachi kits for the lowest price, and he is not a Hitachi distributor. For products that they do have, you can count on them to be a great supplier.

You definitely need the documentation to align the Panasonic. The service menu and convergence adjustments are as poorly designed as their electronic service manuals.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.

Forum Rules
Old 11-30-07, 08:35 AM   #44
scoodidabop
Inactive

I just replaced my convergence chips in my Hitachi 43fdx01b. Things are looking SOO much better now. I spent a bit of time aligning the convergence last night (and it looked smooth!). I ran the set for about an hour with the fixed convergence and I didn't see any changes occur during that time. I turned it on this morning to find the convergence slightly off (equal to 'post new stk's without adjustment. Didn't get as bad as pre stk replacement).

What would cause the convergence to go out of whack after sitting for 5 hours? I replaced both convergence chips, and tested all the resistors. Everything checks out, and I can achieve a great picture. It just won't hold!! Should I go for the blue button?? Also, anyone have any idea about how to access the controls to dim the grey bars in widescreen mode?

Thanks a ton! This forum is awesome.

Chris

*UPDATE!* It seems the adjustments go away after I turn the TV off!? Wha? How do I get around this? Seems like the settings aren't saving. Hopefully an easy fix (probably and operator error... ha!)

Last edited by scoodidabop; 11-30-07 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: UPDATE!!

Forum Rules
Old 11-30-07, 07:11 PM   #45
jcbada
Inactive

I have a mitsubishi ws65909. I believe I have a convergence problem because when I try to adjust the convergence for the red... it does not converge. any advice?

Forum Rules
Old 11-30-07, 07:16 PM   #46
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA
I started this thread.

Read the posts at the top of this thread.

Forum Rules
Old 11-30-07, 07:30 PM   #47
jcbada
Inactive

I've read the threads and I've googled mitsubish ws-65909 convergence problem and found that it may be STK392-570 IC's. I am electrically inclined and wanted to know if there are diagrams that show where these IC's are located at.

Forum Rules
Old 11-30-07, 09:01 PM   #48
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA
I started this thread.

You could get a service manual but if you just look for the largest heat sink you can't miss the location of the IC. IIRC, your set uses a single STK393-110 rather than two ICs. Be careful to buy only from the recommended distributors.

Forum Rules
Old 12-07-07, 08:36 PM   #49
kaindia_1
Inactive

Hello! My Mitsubishi WS55511 had red shadows on both sides of the screen. The convergence could not be corrected. I followed the directions here and ordered myself a convergence IC from MCM Electronics. An Excellent supplier might I add. My front buttons and remote didn't work either, so I had some other parts I ordered from there. All in all, my set is alive and kicking, in HD! Many thanks lcaillo for your detailed posting. I will be sure to add my problems and solutions to this forum for all.

Forum Rules
Old 12-31-07, 03:44 PM   #50

sasquachh
Since: Dec 2007
Parowan, Utah

Icaillo,
I've got to say "thank you" for taking the time to post all this information. I've been scouring the Net trying to get detailed information and it looks like I found it here. Thank you!!

Regarding Mitsubishi WS-55511
In addition to complimenting your posts I'd like to ask a question (of course) On another site I was told my Convergence IC and possibly a couple resistors next to it are bad. This is because I can no longer adjust the horizontal red convergence, vertical is fine. While I will be removing the board / panel from the TV I'd like to know the details of the resistors that might need to be replaced. Would you know what type of resistors these are (ohms, size, etc.), and the directions in replacing them as well as replacing the IC?
Guess I'm looking to find a (free?) service manual, or just an overview on the procedure which includes the specs on the resistors and such.
Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Larry

Forum Rules
 Closed Thread     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Service | Support > DIY Repair and Maintenance »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »