CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 305 Old 01-29-08, 11:19 AM
Shackster
RichardA

Re: CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs

I was looking at the "multiconvergence" photo on the link above and note that the green grid looks perfect while only the red and blue look wavy. On my set the green is the wavy one. Is this an IC problem with the green or is there a seperate more likely cause? I'd hate to do all the work for nothing. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 305 Old 02-03-08, 02:01 PM
Fast Hound
Inactive

Thanks for this great forum. Yesterday I replaced the two STK392-120 ICs in my Phillips 60PP9202. Green was out of convergence when I would first turn on the TV. After it was allowed to warm up and I turned it off & on a few times, it would clear up. However, I knew one or both of the ICs were going bad. While I was replaceing the ICs, in error, I did not check the resisters. Know when I turn it on, the colors are in convergence, but the entire picture is bowed like an hour-glass layed on its side.

Might this be one or more of the resisters?

I have also read that it may be a "Convergence Amp", is this different that the ICs?

Thanks for any direction you can give me.
post #73 of 305 Old 02-03-08, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
inn8pwr wrote: View Post
I was looking at the "multiconvergence" photo on the link above and note that the green grid looks perfect while only the red and blue look wavy. On my set the green is the wavy one. Is this an IC problem with the green or is there a seperate more likely cause? I'd hate to do all the work for nothing. Thanks.
The green can have the same problems as red and blue. Read the info in the thread about how the circuits work.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #74 of 305 Old 02-03-08, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru

Quote:
Fast Hound wrote: View Post
Thanks for this great forum. Yesterday I replaced the two STK392-120 ICs in my Phillips 60PP9202. Green was out of convergence when I would first turn on the TV. After it was allowed to warm up and I turned it off & on a few times, it would clear up. However, I knew one or both of the ICs were going bad. While I was replaceing the ICs, in error, I did not check the resisters. Know when I turn it on, the colors are in convergence, but the entire picture is bowed like an hour-glass layed on its side.

Might this be one or more of the resisters?

I have also read that it may be a "Convergence Amp", is this different that the ICs?

Thanks for any direction you can give me.

If all of the colors are bowed in you likely have no power to the convergence amps. Check the fuses in the power supply to the chips as well as the resistors. Failure to replace the resistors can damage the new chips, also.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #75 of 305 Old 02-03-08, 10:56 PM
Shackster
RichardA

Reading the last few links it appears clear that one should check and/or replace the fuses, resistors and possibly convergence amp. I need help identifying these components. I assume a 60w iron will work well on the board and while I'm replacing the IC's perhaps it's best to do the others as well. Any info on the the part numbers and location for online ordering are also very helpful. I'm starting to think that my local shop should get involved, but honestly, the guy that showed up seemed to have "no clue" when it came to pioneer models. They just recently became a pioneer shop, but, well,... you know. Thanks for any advise.
post #76 of 305 Old 02-04-08, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru

At the top of this thread are some posts that I made that pretty much cover most of the generic information about convergence repairs that you need to know. If you have specific questions after reading that, regarding your situation and your set, please start a new thread. Include the complete model number and specifics about what you have found, done, and need. I will be glad to try to help if I can.

post #77 of 305 Old 02-04-08, 09:35 AM
Fast Hound
Inactive

Would you be able to give me some idea on where I can locate the fuses in the power supply to the chips? It is a Philips 60PP9202.
post #78 of 305 Old 02-04-08, 08:38 PM
technoguy
Inactive

Hello lcaillo
I had reading this thread for quiet some time, I have a Sony KP 65 WS 510 and have a huge convergence problem with my set, Yesterday I replaced my STKs(392-560)and checked all my resistors and Ic outputs,but still have problems adjusting my Tv, What else I can do? Did I miss something?Thanks
post #79 of 305 Old 02-04-08, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru

Quote:
Fast Hound wrote: View Post
Would you be able to give me some idea on where I can locate the fuses in the power supply to the chips? It is a Philips 60PP9202.
Philips sets usually have pico fuses soldered into the board on the secondary of the main switching transformer in the power supply. They are often labelled on the board.

post #80 of 305 Old 02-04-08, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru

Quote:
technoguy wrote: View Post
Hello lcaillo
I had reading this thread for quiet some time, I have a Sony KP 65 WS 510 and have a huge convergence problem with my set, Yesterday I replaced my STKs(392-560)and checked all my resistors and Ic outputs,but still have problems adjusting my Tv, What else I can do? Did I miss something?Thanks
What kind of problem are you having adjusting the set? Do you have the documentation on the service menu? Do you understand how to align the convergence or are you just using the auto-convergence? The more information you include, the more likely you are to get a meaningful answer.

Please start a new thread with your individual problems.

Closed Thread