Black Widow Ultra™ Development - Page 11 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #101 of 237 Old 01-08-14, 03:32 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central PA
Posts: 3,772
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
Leo_AV wrote: View Post
Ok, awesome, I'll give it a shot without the AAA-F. FYI, I'm using SmartEco mode (although I don't think that makes a difference to your recommendation).
I'm really not sure how SmartEco works, but here is what the reviewer had to say about it.
SmartEco mode is a bit of a puzzle. The mode claims to reduce brightness based on the content on screen, but it is not a dynamic lamp mode. Lamp power does not cycle up and down once SmartEco has been selected. Instead, the projector decides based on the content being shown how bright the lamp should be, and then locks output at that level.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq...ge=Performance

Quote:
I'm not tied to Benjamin Moore paints—I'm happy to get paint from anywhere in NYC, so long as you guys recommend it! I'm a bit lost as to how to get the exact paint, though. What do I walk into Sherwin-Williams (for example) and ask for exactly?
At a Lowe's store you would ask for a quart or gallon (depending on how much paint you need) of Valspar Signature interior latex in matte finish tinted to match Behr 'Silver Screen'.

At Sherwin-Williams ask for a quart of gallon of Duration interior latex in matte finish tinted to SW 'Unique Gray'.

The SW Duration is considered to be a better paint than the Valspar Signature from Lowe's, but I have not rolled either of them so I can't confirm that. I spray everything. Are you rolling or spraying?

Quote:
Thanks again! Really excited to get this going.

Cheers!
--Leo
No problem! Glad to help.
Harpmaker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #102 of 237 Old 01-08-14, 03:48 PM
Shackster
 
Leo_AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 7
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
I'm really not sure how SmartEco works, but here is what the reviewer had to say about it.
SmartEco mode is a bit of a puzzle. The mode claims to reduce brightness based on the content on screen, but it is not a dynamic lamp mode. Lamp power does not cycle up and down once SmartEco has been selected. Instead, the projector decides based on the content being shown how bright the lamp should be, and then locks output at that level.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq...ge=Performance
Interesting!

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
At a Lowe's store you would ask for a quart or gallon (depending on how much paint you need) of Valspar Signature interior latex in matte finish tinted to match Behr 'Silver Screen'.

At Sherwin-Williams ask for a quart of gallon of Duration interior latex in matte finish tinted to SW 'Unique Gray'.

The SW Duration is considered to be a better paint than the Valspar Signature from Lowe's, but I have not rolled either of them so I can't confirm that. I spray everything. Are you rolling or spraying?
Ah, ok, got it. That sounds easy enough. In terms of the actual painting, I'm not sure! I'll certainly consider either although I'm worried I'd screw it up (I've only painted once or twice before). As I work v. long hours, I may see how much it would cost to have somebody do it for me (although not sure if that would potentially mean a rougher finish that I would give it!)

If SW Duration is considered better (or the best?) option, that's what I'll go for

Cheers!
--Leo
Leo_AV is offline  
post #103 of 237 Old 01-08-14, 04:08 PM
HTS Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Greece
Posts: 515
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
I'm really not sure how SmartEco works, but here is what the reviewer had to say about it.
SmartEco mode is a bit of a puzzle. The mode claims to reduce brightness based on the content on screen, but it is not a dynamic lamp mode. Lamp power does not cycle up and down once SmartEco has been selected. Instead, the projector decides based on the content being shown how bright the lamp should be, and then locks output at that level.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq...ge=Performance
Don, SmartEco is pure marketing. The lamp continues to work as in high mode.

Leo, if you like BM paints, you can go and ask Metro Gray 1459 . In the same can, ask them to add only the colorants of Sidewalk Gray 2133-60. It's a N7.8 mix quite quite neutral.
project1971 likes this.
Yiannis1970 is offline  
 
post #104 of 237 Old 01-08-14, 04:11 PM
Shackster
 
Leo_AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 7
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
Yiannis1970 wrote: View Post
Don, SmartEco is pure marketing. The lamp continues to work as in high mode.

Leo, if you like BM paints, you can go and ask Metro Gray 1459 . In the same can, ask them to add only the colorants of Sidewalk Gray 2133-60. It's a N7.8 mix quite quite neutral.
Thanks Yiannis!

I have no affinity for BM, was just referencing a paint that my better half likes—I'm sure she'll be good with neutral. I think I'll go with the SW as it's coming recommended by you guys.

Thanks for the heads up on SmartEco, I think I'll flip it over to Eco tonight.

Cheers!
--Leo
Leo_AV is offline  
post #105 of 237 Old 01-08-14, 05:09 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 68
My System
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
The original Auto Air Aluminum-fine paint DID darken the paint it was added to along with producing a blue color that needed to be corrected to get a neutral mix. This was because the aluminum flakes were not coated to prevent them interacting chemically with the paint. The new AAA-F uses coated flakes that still provide the reflective attributes of the paint, but pretty much do away with it darkening or significantly changing the color of the base paint.

As for adding the new AAA-F to white paints, Mech tried this and produced a N8.5 mix while another member here (sorry, I forget their name right now) did the same thing with a different brand of paint and got a N9.5 or something like that. We will be looking into that, but we don't do this stuff for a living and what with the things life throws our way we probably won't do much testing until this Spring or early Summer.
Thank you so much for your response, I would have been pretty ticked off when I threw the aluminum into white paint and it didn't darken. I don't have to go gray by much, but I definitely need a little gray on the wall.
rdcollns is offline  
post #106 of 237 Old 01-08-14, 07:32 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central PA
Posts: 3,772
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
rdcollns wrote: View Post
Thank you so much for your response, I would have been pretty ticked off when I threw the aluminum into white paint and it didn't darken. I don't have to go gray by much, but I definitely need a little gray on the wall.
I just did my own test by adding the new AAA-F to Valspar Signature in white in the standard 4:1 ratio (base:AAA-F). I'll let you know the results tomorrow evening.
Harpmaker is offline  
post #107 of 237 Old 01-09-14, 05:09 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 6
My System
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Hi,

What a great thread. I haven't read it all but already absorbed lots of VERY useful information.

I would like to make a generic question related with the amount of AAA one can put to a matt white paint.
As far as I understand, with the new formula, AAA will not darken significantly the mix.
So we can start with a grey near our needs.

My question #1: how much AAA can I mix until I start to have strong adverse effects (shimmering, hot spotting, etc.)

My question #2 (less than generic): Portugal, facing south, all glass "wall" - is there anything worst for a projector?
Ok, that's not my question... here it is: will I get blind watching a movie at night if I make a bright enough screen that can get away with lots of ambient light during daytime?

I'm willing to accept a compromise making some ambient light at night (perhaps a bias/fill light like I use in my plasma) and make the room darker during daytime with some curtains.
jopereira is offline  
post #108 of 237 Old 01-10-14, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
 
mechman's Avatar
Steve Mechelke -mech
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Empire Township, MN
Posts: 14,914
My System
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Question 1 - we have yet to test this with the new AAA.

Question 2 - projectors usually allow you to save settings for different situations. You should be able to save a day and night set of settings.

Welcome to HTS!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mechman is offline  
post #109 of 237 Old 01-11-14, 05:20 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 6
My System
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Welcome to HTS!
Thanks.

Yes, my projector is an EPSON TW5200 with lots of memory slots (more than the 6 I though it had as each video mode seems to keep it's own settings).

It would be nice to know what 100% AAA could do... . I like to touch the limits and only then the achieve a compromise. I don't have easy access to AAA and I'm trying to know if GraphicAir online has the old or the formula to buy some.

I'm out to buy a base white/grey paint...

Last edited by jopereira; 01-20-14 at 06:49 AM.
jopereira is offline  
post #110 of 237 Old 01-11-14, 07:09 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Hi,

great thread! I´m new here and am very happy that I found this thread. Thanks for everybody here.

I have some questions about the Black Widow.

I´m from germany (so, sorry for my english) and want to make an DIY Black Widow. I ordered the AAA paint and think I will get the new formula. I only ordered one bottle with 120ml and hope this will be enough for an 120 inch screen?!

So I have the Optoma hd131xe beamer. It says it has 2500 ansi lumen (not sure if this is true). I want to use the beamer ~80% for gaming and watching movies. But also for 20% I want to use it for 3D. Will there be any problems with the 3D when painting it with an neutral grey and the AAA?

And also I´m not sure wich neutral grey I should take if I get the new AAA formula? Has anyone any color code for germany? Must it be matt? Acryl? Or whatever options there are?
UnDerDoG81 is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
black , development , ultra™ , widow

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome