Black Widow Ultra™ Development - Page 13 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #121 of 235 Old 01-13-14, 08:44 PM
Shackster

Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Great, thank you very much for all the work, information and effort. Now I have my shopping list finished. tomorrow I will start and will report back later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 235 Old 01-15-14, 03:40 PM
Shackster

I started yesterday but it went worse

I sanded the MDF with 240 paper, cleaned it and put the primer on one side only. And today, the MDF looks like an S. Waves all over the MDF. It is 10mm thick. I never thought it will become waves. All planes are ruined for now. Lets see how I will go further.
post #123 of 235 Old 01-15-14, 08:29 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
UnDerDoG81 wrote: View Post
I started yesterday but it went worse

I sanded the MDF with 240 paper, cleaned it and put the primer on one side only. And today, the MDF looks like an S. Waves all over the MDF. It is 10mm thick. I never thought it will become waves. All planes are ruined for now. Lets see how I will go further.
Wow... that is strange. At most you should have possibly seen a slight curvature over the whole sheet from one side to the other (like a slight bow), but nothing like you are describing. I have no idea what happened. I wouldn't expect a 10 mm thick piece to even do that.
post #124 of 235 Old 01-17-14, 02:52 PM
Ron

Smile Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Hi Folks,

I just went and registered so I could say 'thanks' - I only got an (old, obsolete) projector for Christmas 'cause I play lots of FSX (used to be a Private Pilot) and now use the projector for working from home (I'm an SQL DBA and SQL/C# developer and a big screen HELPS!). So, I'm no AV expert, but I'm currently projecting on to a flat white wall and started thinking about a screen, then mounting it made me think about the same wall, which made me think about 'projector screen paint' the price of which sent me to Google - and here.

I'm going to get some grey Dulux this weekend (I'm in the UK) and see how it goes. If I don't like it and feel adventurous, I'll get some AAA.

One question I've got to ask - why not just use Aluminium flakes? (The USAF made me a painter back in '70 and we used to mix all our own stuff - including metallic).

Anyway, thanks again for all the knowledge you've shared!

Kindest Regards,

Ron
post #125 of 235 Old 01-17-14, 09:10 PM
Shackster

Soooo, after a lot of work and then a lot of more work, the Black Widow is done that was a lot of work. I was able to "remove" the waves by making a construction around the MDF and the screen is perfect.

1 layer primer, sanding and then 2 layers of BW and the screen looks super! No need for another BW layer and no need to sand the BW. I have no stripes or "islands" from the AAA color.

I used the RAL 7038 'Agate grey' as color and mixed it with the AAA (new formula). For my surprise, I have a bit less then the half of the BW color over. I only mixed 500ml Agate grey and 120ml AAA and about 30-50ml water.

My room is still a building lot (translator says building lot ) and I have no sound. Only picture. And I connected my Blu-Ray Player and put in the Hobbit. I was blown away from the picture I watched the Hobbit for half an hour without sound. I was only amazed! Looks really close to an OLED display.

Thank you Harpmaker, Mechman and everybody else for this great thread, help and support!

When things are done, I can make pictures if anybody wants.

EDIT: What I´ve found interesting, I do not have this aluminium glitter effects in the color, even though I used the correct AAA fine. Only when the color was wet and fresh painted, there was these aluminium glitter effect but now after it dried, I can´t see those glitter effect. Is this normal? Maye I´ll take another closer look tomorrow at daylight.
post #126 of 235 Old 01-18-14, 01:10 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
What I´ve found interesting, I do not have this aluminium glitter effects in the color, even though I used the correct AAA fine. Only when the color was wet and fresh painted, there was these aluminium glitter effect but now after it dried, I can´t see those glitter effect. Is this normal? Maye I´ll take another closer look tomorrow at daylight.
Yes, it is normal for the aluminum flakes to become less visible (almost invisible) when the paint is dry. They are still working though!

Glad your screen is working for you now!
post #127 of 235 Old 01-18-14, 01:23 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
RonTheAirman wrote: View Post

One question I've got to ask - why not just use Aluminium flakes? (The USAF made me a painter back in '70 and we used to mix all our own stuff - including metallic).
I've been wondering the same for quite some time.

When I first heard of Black Widow, I thought you could just buy aluminum hardware store paint, but then realized that isn't even aluminum. I'm guessing the prevalence of AAA is that it is the only reliable material that everyone can get there hands on with no deviation, but you can buy a pound of aluminum for the same price as one little bottle of AAA (http://www.skylighter.com/)
post #128 of 235 Old 01-18-14, 07:32 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
RonTheAirman wrote: View Post

Anyway, thanks again for all the knowledge you've shared!

Kindest Regards,

Ron
Welcome the HTS Ron!

Quote:
rdcollns wrote: View Post
I've been wondering the same for quite some time.

When I first heard of Black Widow, I thought you could just buy aluminum hardware store paint, but then realized that isn't even aluminum. I'm guessing the prevalence of AAA is that it is the only reliable material that everyone can get there hands on with no deviation, but you can buy a pound of aluminum for the same price as one little bottle of AAA (http://www.skylighter.com/)
Well guys, we thought about trying to do it that way (just add aluminum powder to paint), but there are a number of problems with that. The first is that unpassivated aluminum powder or flakes will create a VERY dangerous mix in that they will cause an exothermic reaction (create LOTS of heat) when mixed with water-based paint! The danger comes from the reaction being so delayed that you initially think the mix is fine and stable. If you ever noticed, most paint stores have a sign on or near their paint-shaking machines to NEVER SHAKE PAINT CONTAINING ALUMINUM. This is the reason why. Shaking the paint does two things, it mixes air into the paint (oxygen) plus it can actually remove some types of passivation. We also found out that even large paint companies don't mix powdered aluminum to make real aluminum paint, but rather use a type of aluminum paste. Before we learned this Mech bought some aluminum flakes and tried mixing them with paint, but if I remember right they didn't add any reflectance at all. And then there is flake size; we had problems finding flakes that were small enough. Most aluminum flakes designed to add to paint are for creating a glitter effect, something you don't want for a screen.
post #129 of 235 Old 01-19-14, 02:06 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Yes, it is normal for the aluminum flakes to become less visible (almost invisible) when the paint is dry. They are still working though!

Glad your screen is working for you now!
Puh ok thats good news, I thought I did something wrong. Maybe too much grey (~500-550ml) and 20-40ml water on 120ml AAA.

I´m not sure about my Optoma HD131XE settings. I´m a total noob and dont know how to adjust the beamer. Maybe someone here has the HD131XE or HD25 and a BW screen and some good settings?

Here is how it looks. The light in the center is from the mirror on the left, after using the flash on the cam.

Last edited by Harpmaker; 01-19-14 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Made image visible in post.
post #130 of 235 Old 01-19-14, 07:13 PM
HTS Moderator

Quote:
Puh ok thats good news, I thought I did something wrong. Maybe too much grey (~500-550ml) and 20-40ml water on 120ml AAA.

I´m not sure about my Optoma HD131XE settings. I´m a total noob and dont know how to adjust the beamer. Maybe someone here has the HD131XE or HD25 and a BW screen and some good settings?

Here is how it looks. The light in the center is from the mirror on the left, after using the flash on the cam.

http://666kb.com/i/cl42j6ssv2qttiv08.jpg
For starters, you can use eco mode on the lamp and put Brilliant Color to 1. You can then click down (2-3) the contrast control.