Black Widow Ultra™ Development - Page 14 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #131 of 235 Old 01-19-14, 08:35 PM
Shackster

Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
Yiannis1970 wrote: View Post
For starters, you can use eco mode on the lamp and put Brilliant Color to 1. You can then click down (2-3) the contrast control.
Yes I find the cinema mode the best setting. I always use eco mode. Dynamic black off. Contrast +2 clicks and brightness +2 clicks. But Brillant color is on 5. If I put it on 1 the image looks yellowish. Must give it another try. Any reason why not to use Brillant color?

Cinema Mode with these settings looks pretty great and impressive. Especially "the Hobbit" blows me always away. I like the colors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 235 Old 01-19-14, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Harp is dead on regarding aluminum. You can't just go out and buy some and mix it up. It is very dangerous stuff when it is in it's raw state. Thus why the link several posts back was from a fireworks site. That is the site where I acquired my aluminum from and tested it. It was a failure as it added nothing to the performance whatsoever.

If you dig around here some, you can find the old threads with those experiments in them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #133 of 235 Old 01-19-14, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
If you dig around here some, you can find the old threads with those experiments in them.
Start reading here.

post #134 of 235 Old 01-21-14, 07:49 AM
Shackster

My System

Hi,

One question just to clarify... what "(Gain) on Axis" means? Right in line with projector (light reflected back to projector)? Or light refleted by screen at in the same angle light hits it? (sorry but my english knowledge doesn't include correct terms for this angles/light reflections).
post #135 of 235 Old 01-21-14, 06:22 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
jopereira wrote: View Post
Hi,

One question just to clarify... what "(Gain) on Axis" means? Right in line with projector (light reflected back to projector)? Or light refleted by screen at in the same angle light hits it? (sorry but my english knowledge doesn't include correct terms for this angles/light reflections).
When used to describe the gain of a screen ON AXIS properly means that the light striking the screen is pointing straight at the screen with no angle up, down, right or left. This will produce the brightest possible image on the screen. When the term ON AXIS is used talking about a home theater it means that the projector and the viewer are in line horizontally, but the projector is usually mounted close to the ceiling and the viewer is seated so there is some vertical space between them. We need to get some good pictures showing this.
post #136 of 235 Old 01-21-14, 10:51 PM
HTS Moderator

Quote:
UnDerDoG81 wrote: View Post
Yes I find the cinema mode the best setting. I always use eco mode. Dynamic black off. Contrast +2 clicks and brightness +2 clicks. But Brillant color is on 5. If I put it on 1 the image looks yellowish. Must give it another try. Any reason why not to use Brillant color?
No reason at all. Brilliant Color offers more luminosity on the image without any collateral effects in terms of cromacity or uniformity. I just thought that you were trying to cut off light from your screen, therefore i suggested to put B.C. at minimum levels.
post #137 of 235 Old 01-22-14, 04:21 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
When the term ON AXIS is used talking about a home theater it means that the projector and the viewer are in line horizontally, but the projector is usually mounted close to the ceiling and the viewer is seated so there is some vertical space between them. We need to get some good pictures showing this.
Understood. On home theather enviroment, on axis means on same vertical plane.

Talking about Black Widow Ultra™, one should get brighter image standing up (closer to projector) than sitting down watching a movie, or about the same brightness since Black Widow Ultra™ has a large viewing cone?

And just to make sure what base paint I should be looking for... is just plain matt (as matt as I can get) or should I target a more satin like paint (more overall gain to get the most in ambient light)?

Grumbling... Can't get Graphicair to confirm if the AAA they have is a recent batch... they are stocking it now but that doesn't mean is a new batch... I think! (probably is, but want to know for sure).
post #138 of 235 Old 01-22-14, 04:04 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Understood. On home theather enviroment, on axis means on same vertical plane.

Talking about Black Widow Ultra™, one should get brighter image standing up (closer to projector) than sitting down watching a movie, or about the same brightness since Black Widow Ultra™ has a large viewing cone?
While having the viewer more on-axis with the projector as it's image hits the screen will provide the brightest image, we have designed BW™ and BW Ultra™ (actually all of our existing screen mixes) to have as wide a viewing cone as possible while still providing a good amount of gain, so you shouldn't see much of a difference.

Quote:
And just to make sure what base paint I should be looking for... is just plain matt (as matt as I can get) or should I target a more satin like paint (more overall gain to get the most in ambient light)?
Here in the States we recommend using Valspar Signature matte finish or Sherwin-Williams Duration in matte finish because both of these paints have just a bit more gloss than most paints in flat finish have. Since I don't know what base paints you will be using, the thing to look for in the paints TDS (technical data sheet) is the Gloss Level or Sheen Rating which should be close to 0-7 Units @ 85° angle. If this value is in doubt use a flat finish; the gain might be slightly less for the mix, but more importantly it WON'T hot spot.

Quote:
Grumbling... Can't get Graphicair to confirm if the AAA they have is a recent batch... they are stocking it now but that doesn't mean is a new batch... I think! (probably is, but want to know for sure).
The main difference between Black Widow™ and Black Widow Ultra™ is the color of the base paint. If your AAA-F turns out to having been made before the change then simply use a base paint tinted to match PPG 'Bermuda Beige' (we also have RAL and NCS formulae for that color). If the AAA-F is the new version then use a neutral gray paint. This assumes you want to make a N7.5 mix since the older original BW™ can't be made much lighter while the new BW Ultra™ can.
post #139 of 235 Old 01-23-14, 06:29 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Here in the States we recommend using Valspar Signature matte finish or Sherwin-Williams Duration in matte finish because both of these paints have just a bit more gloss than most paints in flat finish have. Since I don't know what base paints you will be using, the thing to look for in the paints TDS (technical data sheet) is the Gloss Level or Sheen Rating which should be close to 0-7 Units @ 85° angle. If this value is in doubt use a flat finish; the gain might be slightly less for the mix, but more importantly it WON'T hot spot.

The main difference between Black Widow™ and Black Widow Ultra™ is the color of the base paint. If your AAA-F turns out to having been made before the change then simply use a base paint tinted to match PPG 'Bermuda Beige' (we also have RAL and NCS formulae for that color). If the AAA-F is the new version then use a neutral gray paint. This assumes you want to make a N7.5 mix since the older original BW™ can't be made much lighter while the new BW Ultra™ can.
I've passed this info to a well known portuguese paint manufacture (Robbialac) so them can give me their advise. I think after that, and if every thing goes the right way, we can have a portuguese Black Widow Ultra™!! .

To get the most in ambient light, a N7.5 mix is desirable, right?
If I buy a N7.5 paint, will new AAA-F get lighter or darker (or more or less the same)?

ps - Robbialac has a "Super Colorizer" system that complies to international standards like NCS to produce any color we like ('Bermuda Beige' cames to mind )
post #140 of 235 Old 01-23-14, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Quote:
To get the most in ambient light, a N7.5 mix is desirable, right?
It's mainly a personal preference thing. If you want darker blacks, go darker. If you want whiter whites, go lighter.

Quote:
If I buy a N7.5 paint, will new AAA-F get lighter or darker (or more or less the same)?
AAA darkens the mix depending upon the base. Darker bases don't change too much while lighter bases darken a bit more.