Black Widow Ultra™ Development - Page 16 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #151 of 239 Old 03-12-14, 11:07 AM
Shackster
David

Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
AdrianW84 wrote: View Post
As base paint i've took "achate grey" and mixed it up with the new AAA at 4:1
You did not say where you are but as you call it "achate grey" it sounds like you are in Europe maybe even Germany.

If this is the case you might like to read this thread http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...beginners.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 239 Old 03-12-14, 12:26 PM
Shackster

yea - i've seen this
I'm from Germany/Europe... so i cant use the original colors from US.

Currently trying RAL 7038 (Achate Grey), but as said : it doesnt matter if i mix AAA into it or not.
At least not for my eyes if i compare both colors at a white paper sheet.

I've got 2 different base paints here (both RAL 7038), one from a professional color dealer and one from a DIY market. But they differ only a really little bit - so i dont know what to take.

But the bigger problem is as i said, i dont see a difference between color and color + aaa, thats weird to me ?!
post #153 of 239 Old 03-12-14, 01:03 PM
Shackster
David

So in my thread you will see that when I ordered RAL7038 I did not get it and to make things worse it was so bad that I really could have taken it back.

But the real problem with my RAL7038 and could be with yours too is not how dark it is, but that it is not neutral and in fact so bad that you might not be able to correct it with your projector.

What is your brand of base paint and where did you get the "DIY" paint mixed. From my experience using NCS color codes in Germany are more reliable - but that has not been tested many times.

post #154 of 239 Old 03-12-14, 01:24 PM
Shackster

hey

well... got 2 types of color

1.)
mixed at Prosol GmbH Germany
RAL 7038HR Achatgrau Latex Optimatt (Achate Grey Latex Matt)

2.)
mixed at DIY market OBI
RAL 7038 ACHATGRAU 6 RAL OBI DesignColor Matt Basis (Basic) M1

that picture shows an ANSI testimage, background is BW, that small sample is a Gain 1.0 screen
dont know if this result is okay or not

thank you for your help

Last edited by Harpmaker; 03-13-14 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Made image visible.
post #155 of 239 Old 03-12-14, 02:50 PM
Shackster
David

Quote:
1.)
mixed at Prosol GmbH Germany
RAL 7038HR Achatgrau Latex Optimatt (Achate Grey Latex Matt)

2.)
mixed at DIY market OBI
RAL 7038 ACHATGRAU 6 RAL OBI DesignColor Matt Basis (Basic) M1
Ok they are of course new to me. As far as I know your would now need to test a sample to work out its neutrality and also possibly to check if it is in fact the guessed RAL7038.

Quote:
that picture shows an ANSI testimage, background is BW, that small sample is a Gain 1.0 screen
dont know if this result is okay or not
thank you for your help
I am not an expert but I don't think that looks right. But wait for the experts to chime in.
post #156 of 239 Old 03-12-14, 03:29 PM
Shackster

yea, any expert opinions would be great...
waiting to do a new and final painting tomorrow i think
post #157 of 239 Old 03-13-14, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. The background is BW Ultra™? And the base is RAL 7038HR Achatgrau? Is that correct? Why did you decide upon RAL 7038HR Achatgrau? It doesn't appear to be a neutral base.

The CIELab numbers for RAL 7038, Agate gray are 72.97 -1.50 2.97. You want those second two numbers to be as close to 0 as you can get them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #158 of 239 Old 03-13-14, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
The CIELab numbers for RAL 7038, Agate gray are 72.97 -1.50 2.97. You want those second two numbers to be as close to 0 as you can get them.
I got these values from here. I see Don has it listed in the OTS neutral gray sticky though. And it's shown as a RAL Classic neutral. I'd wait for Don to chime in as he tracks these sorts of things closer than I do.

The numbers do not seem to jive. I'd stick with a RAL 90XX until Don chimes in.

post #159 of 239 Old 03-13-14, 03:42 PM
Shackster

Hi

well... the usage of RAL7038 Achategrey was recommended in some german boards....
post #160 of 239 Old 03-13-14, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Did anyone measure it over there? If it was recommended, then the numbers I found on that wiki page are probably from some other color space or just plain wrong. If it is neutral, then there is nothing wrong with it. It should be in the N7.5ish range and that's what it looks like from your image.