Black Widow Ultra™ Development - Page 17 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #161 of 237 Old 03-13-14, 04:22 PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 237 Old 03-13-14, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
AdrianW84 wrote: View Post
I think i'm kinda happy with it
That, my friend, is all that is important!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #163 of 237 Old 03-13-14, 09:06 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Sorry for being away from the forum the last several days guys, sometimes life gets in the way of our hobbies.

I made the mistake of not giving the URL I got the RAL colors from in the Neutral Sticky. They came from http://ralcolor.com/ which I assumed was an authoritative source for RAL Classic colors and after further research that appears NOT to be the case!

For RAL Classic 7038 the colors given on 4 different sites are:
http://ralcolor.com/ color = RGB 195-195-195 which converted to CIELAB = 78.794, 0.004, -0.009
http://ralcolors.net/ral-7038-agate-grey.php = RGB 179-179-173 and CIELAB = 72.787, -1.101, 3.050
http://ralcolor.net/ral-7038-agate-grey.php = the same RGB 179-179-173
http://allral.com/view.php?id=7038 = RGB 178-181-174 and CIELAB = 73.265, -2.347, 3.186

The sample of a paint the RAL Classic color 7038 I got from darbid for testing measured
RGB 173.5-173.3-163.6 and CIELAB = 70.62, -1.68, 4.97.

The RAL Classic color specs seem to be rather loose.

post #164 of 237 Old 03-18-14, 01:04 PM

Hello guys,

I'm Paul from Germany and about a month ago I got myself my first own projector, a Benq W1070. When I found out about the Black Widow project I immediately knew, that I wanna try it as well.

I was about to buy some RAL 7038 next week and start mixing it, but after reading this thread it seems like this color might not be the best choice after all. It seems like it's still not that easy to get a neutral grey here in Germany... Has anyone made some experiences with different colors which I might have overseen? I'm anxious to get going so I might even try RAL 7038 if there's currently no better choice available.

Best,

Paul
post #165 of 237 Old 03-18-14, 01:23 PM
Shackster
David

Here you go.

Scroll down and there is a recommendation from Yiannis1970 as well.
post #166 of 237 Old 09-19-14, 07:02 AM
MHI
Shackster

Hi guys im new to the forum and been searching for a spray on paint to use for projector screens, i've done lots of research myself (not paint systems) on fixed frame silver metallic vinyl screens and multi layer black screens but you know us Custom Home Cinema Installers always feel it can get better.

I've spent some time over on avsforums talking to mississippiman about different systems like silverfire, etc but its difficult to source the materials in Ireland (where im based).

So whats the best paint at the moment that's easy source materials, etc.

I'm looking for a paint that will improve and give deep blacks while also maintaining good whites in day time enivroments, no sparkles or hotspots than can be applied to walls, pvc sheets, dibond panels, etc

I've seen some use dulux steel grey paint mixed with other components, can someone confirm the exact ingredients and ratio, priming, if water needed etc.

I don't want to start a debate about which one is better over the other silverfire, Black Widow Ultra or digital1crystal as one forum could be more sided to one product than another.

btw great forum going here don't know how i never came across it before, looking like im here long term
post #167 of 237 Old 11-05-14, 04:00 AM

Hi Guys, i'm in the UK

Looking to make a 120" screen, I can source a 10x5 sheet of ACU with a white matt side that I will spray at work.

I want to have a 2 inch black border that i'll be using deepblack border tape for so am I right in thinking just add 2" to the height and width when I get it cut to 16:9 ratio?

For the BWU do I buy 240ml AAA Aluminum Base Fine & then a shade of Dulux Steel Grey (1L Can). I currently own a BenQ W1070.
post #168 of 237 Old 11-05-14, 04:16 AM
MHI
Shackster

Quote:
Benji315 wrote: View Post
Hi Guys, i'm in the UK

Looking to make a 120" screen, I can source a 10x5 sheet of ACU with a white matt side that I will spray at work.

I want to have a 2 inch black border that i'll be using deepblack border tape for so am I right in thinking just add 2" to the height and width when I get it cut to 16:9 ratio?

For the BWU do I buy 240ml AAA Aluminum Base Fine & then a shade of Dulux Steel Grey (1L Can). I currently own a BenQ W1070.
Hi Benji

Carlowboy avfourms here, i told you all the info you need on avforums
post #169 of 237 Old 11-05-14, 04:25 AM

Quote:
MHI wrote: View Post
Hi Benji

Carlowboy avfourms here, i told you all the info you need on avforums
Just making sure I get the right paint now Wanted to see if any other Benq W1070 users had gone for shade 2 of steel grey, or a different type.
post #170 of 237 Old 12-02-14, 08:52 AM
Shackster
Phelo

Hi I mixed 960ml of Dulux Steel Grey 2 with 240ml of AAA - F and used a roller. It worked perfect and I'm very happy with the results. I currently have a Benq W1070 and with some adjustments prior to painting I achieved a good quality picture at around 140".