Black Widow Ultra™ Development - Page 19 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #181 of 239 Old 01-29-15, 02:19 AM
HTS Moderator

Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
errivera wrote: View Post
I recently purchased a gallon of Image Quality Labs ~18% Neutral Gray (N5) Interior Wall Paint. I'd like to share a sample of this paint with the forum for reference purposes.

A quick 3 measurements with my Colormunki Photo yielded the following readings:

L*a*b* 47.8, -0.4, 0.4
L*a*b* 48.2, -0.3, 0.4
L*a*b* 48.0, -0.3, 0.4

which to my understanding is pretty good for out-of-the-can performance.

The paint is pretty dark (approximately Munsell N5) and would make an excellent candidate for someone attempting a dark screen to enhance perceived black levels and also have a bright projector.

I've added AAA (the new mix) to half of the paint and will begin painting soon. I will gladly submit a sample of the paint with the AAA additive too.

Mechman, please send me information regarding where I should send the sample.
Hello!

That's a pretty dark mix. The projector in use and dimension of your screen are?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 239 Old 01-29-15, 08:12 AM
Shackster
errivera

Yes, it's quite dark.

I'm using a Optoma HD26 on a 120" 'screen.' The image look great when the lights are out (or dim) and still maintains a great look when the lights are on. The room is not overly bright at all. the front wall is a very dark, deep red and the walls are a dark gray, so even with a light on it's still pretty dim.
post #183 of 239 Old 02-01-15, 02:20 PM
mark stinchcombe

Wow.
What an amazing amount of work you have all put in!
I am keen to try out some of your suggestions and have been looking into the BW ultra mixes you have suggested.

Our projector is a Benq W1200- it's in a converted loft space and it is only 2.6 metres to the screen.
We have black out blinds so the room does get very dark but the ceiling and walls are white so reflected light is going to be a problem. We did have it in a bigger room but have since moved house and can't afford to replace it!

Looking at an image of 200cm diagonal, we have a brightness of 45fl which is bright I know.

What paint would work best for this screen? Would I need the AAA to mix in to make the BW ultra? Or would just a plain grey neutral paint be ok.

I am a bit unsure about the N number for the screens- could anyone explain this?

Am based in the UK so have seen some of the Dulux paints mentioned earlier in this thread.

Hope that someone may be able to help!

post #184 of 239 Old 02-03-15, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Quote:
mstinchcombe wrote: View Post
Wow.
What an amazing amount of work you have all put in!
I am keen to try out some of your suggestions and have been looking into the BW ultra mixes you have suggested.

Our projector is a Benq W1200- it's in a converted loft space and it is only 2.6 metres to the screen.
We have black out blinds so the room does get very dark but the ceiling and walls are white so reflected light is going to be a problem. We did have it in a bigger room but have since moved house and can't afford to replace it!

Looking at an image of 200cm diagonal, we have a brightness of 45fl which is bright I know.

What paint would work best for this screen? Would I need the AAA to mix in to make the BW ultra? Or would just a plain grey neutral paint be ok.

I am a bit unsure about the N number for the screens- could anyone explain this?

Am based in the UK so have seen some of the Dulux paints mentioned earlier in this thread.

Hope that someone may be able to help!
Your projector is incredibly bright for your screen size - roughly 46fL. You could go fairly dark and still get a decent image. And you would not need any AAA.

The N numbers refer to the Munsell neutral gray values. You can check those out here.

I would go and get samples of N7 and N6 and see how they perform for you. I'd think one of them would be fine for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #185 of 239 Old 02-03-15, 06:59 AM
HTS Moderator

Just a reminder...

For those who are willing to calibrate the projector, know that calibration proccess usually cuts off a significant amount of light (depends on how far off is the unit). Plus, the distance from the screen using the zoom option plays its part as well on how much light is hitting our screens. Therefore, the best advice for anyone is to get a lightmeter which is very very useful to determine what shade of gray would be our screen according to standards.
post #186 of 239 Old 02-20-15, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Image Qualities Neutral Gray N5 measures

RGB 114 115 114
L*a*b 48.3 -0.27 0.37
xyY 0.313 0.331 17.0

That's very dark and very neutral! I'm checking to see if this had the AAA added to it. It appears under the microscope that it does.

post #187 of 239 Old 02-22-15, 09:06 AM
Shackster
errivera

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Image Qualities Neutral Gray N5 measures

RGB 114 115 114
L*a*b 48.3 -0.27 0.37
xyY 0.313 0.331 17.0

That's very dark and very neutral! I'm checking to see if this had the AAA added to it. It appears under the microscope that it does.

No AAA added, just the paint straight out of the can.

I must say that projected images look fabulous and blacks appear as they should be. I'm really lovin' this paint.
post #188 of 239 Old 02-22-15, 11:47 AM

Quote:
errivera wrote: View Post
No AAA added, just the paint straight out of the can.

I must say that projected images look fabulous and blacks appear as they should be. I'm really lovin' this paint.

Very interesting. Just wish it was available in the UK to give it a try.

Also,
Does 18% refer to how much light is reflected back towards the viewer ?
post #189 of 239 Old 02-22-15, 05:19 PM
Shackster
errivera

Quote:
MONKEYBOYSREVENGE wrote: View Post
Very interesting. Just wish it was available in the UK to give it a try.

Also,
Does 18% refer to how much light is reflected back towards the viewer ?

I strongly urge you to give them a call or shoot them an email. Support is excellent; the individual I spoke with was very knowledgeable and spent a bit of time with me. They might ship to the UK but shipping charges might be a little discouraging.

To my understanding, the 18% reflects the N5 (Munsell N5) designation. I believe it would be 18% gray on the Munsell scale. Hopefully, someone will chime in with additional information.

STRONGLY recommend giving this paint a try. The results are incredible.
post #190 of 239 Old 02-23-15, 12:40 PM

According to another thread,
N5 gives you just 0.20% of your original lumens, so if you getting say, 1000 lumen then you can expect just 200 lumens on screen/reflected back??