Black Widow Ultra™ Development - Page 21 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #201 of 235 Old 05-06-15, 08:58 AM
A J
Shackster

Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
The AAA will make it slightly darker. I'd go with a lighter base.
At what point would a lighter screen be more sensitive to wash out in a bright room? N8, N8.5?

Dover Grey is suppose to be N7.3. Would Veil be light enough as a base (N7.8) ?

We can easily watch daytime TV on the existing Dover Grey screen (in Econ / Living Room mode).

By turning on the 'Normal' mode (louder fan), we can even watch many movies with a couple of the curtains open.

If I could use the 'Eco' mode (low fan noise) and have a couple of the curtains open when we watch movies, I'd be really happy.

Is there a rule of thumb regarding the perceived gain improvement that a 4:1 ratio of AAA-F will make?

Thanks again for the help,
AJ

Epson 5030UBe (118" DIY screen)
Marantz sr6010 amp
Theil CS .5 front speakers
REL Storm SubWoofer
Polk Audio Center Channel Speaker (CS 350)
Definitive rear channels

Last edited by A J; 05-06-15 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Added Mechman quote to aid in clarity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 235 Old 06-25-15, 09:26 AM
Shackster

Hello Hometheatershack...
Another guy from Germany that is impressed of the American DIY League

In Germany we don't have that much people painting or spraying their own screen.

I registered myself at AVS one week ago and stumbled over their paint solutions (from MM & Pb) and was kind of impressed. I never made my own screen... even worse, I never had a projector. So I believed everything and seen it with the shining eyes of a young child that discovers something really exciting.

One thing about myself... my name is Alexander and when I'm going to spend a lot of money for my hobby (car, hifi system, camera, ...) I also spend a lot of time to get the best solution for the best possible price. So I bought a pre-owned white BMW Z4 with red seats , some Wilson Benesch Arc Loudspeakers, an Olympus M1 and so on... I have never regretted one of those purchases.

Now On-Topic again... I searched the web for different opinions about the "AVS mixture" and most time I found a lot of lucky guys in that forum but at "Hometheatershack" everything seems to be contrary. No I'm completly confused like you can imagine

First time I heard about a screen paint was in a small thread in one of our german forums and it was about "Black Widow" So here I am ... sneaking into this forum and trying to get absolutely happy

My preferred projector is the JVC X500. I've seen it at a local home cinema store and I was impressed. Unfortunately it's only usable in "ECO-Mode" in my opinion. Everything else would produce to much noise. So there will be around 500-800 Lumen left to produce a great image to my desired 100-110" DIY screen.

Here can you see my room dimensions and where the screen should hang. On the left side there are floor-to-ceiling windows.

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4...vfgfhx_jpg.htm

My furniture will be bright. The wall behind and the small part beside the screen will be painted in a light gray... MAYBE

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4...okh7ms_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4...axgnky_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4...6xehpz_jpg.htm

- So what are you opinions, suggestions, etc. What would you do?
- Which grayscale you'd choose?
- Which material is the best to paint on? I'm thinking of an ambient light screen that looks like the new SI Black Diamond Zero Edge screen. What a beauty in my opinion

I think I'm going to have much more questions later

Thank you in advance... This whole DIY thing starts to fill me with enthusiasm

Greetings from Germay
Alex

P.S.: Sorry for my englisch
post #203 of 235 Old 06-26-15, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Hi Alex! If you are able, I'd make a couple of different panels of different grays and test them out. At 500 lumens and a 110" screen, you'll have just under 14fL. In that situation I would try a N8.5. But at 800 lumens you'll have 22fL. If that were the case, you could go darker.

The best and easiest way to check which gray would suit you though, would be to make some panels and test them out in your viewing conditions. Then you can see which one suits you.

I am not a fan of SI. The samples that I got from them had an awful purple/blue push. They also seemed to me like they would hot spot. But that's tough to tell from a small sample. The best route for a commercial screen is the dnp Supernova.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #204 of 235 Old 06-27-15, 08:03 AM
Shackster

Hello Mechman. Thank you for your answer. How can I make those different color panels? Do I have to buy several greys or can I get e.g. an N8.5 by mixing more AAA to the "Achatgrau" - color I can get in Germany or do you know another "better" grey?

What kind of surface can I take? A MDF plate or kind of Sintra PVC?
post #205 of 235 Old 06-27-15, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

I'd try and make the samples on something like poster board. See if you can get sample cans at your local paint store. They're usually pretty cheap.

post #206 of 235 Old 07-02-15, 07:36 AM
Steve

My System

Hi all,

I'm looking for any advice on what is currently a recommended mix for BW-U. Lowes no longer has the Ultra Premium FW enamel(or any enamels for that matter). On a whim, I bought Valspar Reserve in flat white (their associate suggested it had the durability of an enamel) tinted 'Veil', however I'm not sure if that's good to mix with the newer AAA-F. I have access to a Sherwin Williams and know they carry a variety of Latex "enamels".

Setup: Projector is a Panasonic AE8000u, ceiling mounted, about 130" diag 16:9, 17' throw, I have a fairly light controlled basement with occasional ambient light situations. Dark walls and white acoustic ceiling (soon to be painted flat black). I do like to watch some 3D.

My previous screen, I tried painting with Sherwin Williams ProClassic satin enamel. It seemed to hot spot really bad and i got a huge glare from the projector, and it orange peeled like CRAZY. I sanded and re-primered with Kilz2. TBH, the image isn't terrible, however the flat makes it look dull compared to the SW-satin. My blacks are dark grey and my whites look a little dull. I do have a defective projector that's getting swapped out(a whole other story -blooming/light bleeding issue ).

I'm wondering if BW-U gives the same "dull" appearance, or is there a bit of sheen to it from the AAA-F? If so is there any mix to add just a tiny bit of sheen? Or possibly a better base?

I'm LOST!
Thanks in advance for any input!
post #207 of 235 Old 07-02-15, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

To figure out which gray suits your needs, buy sample cans (they're cheap) and make panels up using poster board or some other durable material. Then hold these up and see which shade suits you. At 130" you pretty limited - PJCentral guesstimates your projected lumens at 13fL. If it were me, I'd stick to white or a N9 at the lowest. Get it in a matte finish if the don't have eggshell. I thought they still sold the Signature line in an eggshell finish...

Don't ever use a satin finish paint for a screen. Contrary to what you may hear elsewhere, it will most certainly hot spot.

post #208 of 235 Old 07-02-15, 10:37 AM
Steve

My System
Thanks for the info Mechman!

And sorry, I originally gave the incorrect throw distance. It's actually just under 13ft, not 17'. My morning coffee hadn't kicked in yet!

Yes, they still have the Signature line of paint there. Does that mix well with AAA-F? I was looking into some of the magnification images of various paints and how the old Valspar Enamel had the most flakes out at the surface out of the lot.

I'll follow your suggestion and make up some test panels(my wife is gonna LOVE me painting more, lol!). Do you think I should even bother looking into a mix (would I see any benefits?), or just stick with OTS/neutrals?

And yes, I've seen a lot of "snake oil" in the DIY Screen scene. I love/joined HTS because people here actually back up what they claim by numbers and images, not just by "testimonials".
post #209 of 235 Old 07-04-15, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Quote:
The3DLink wrote: View Post
Yes, they still have the Signature line of paint there. Does that mix well with AAA-F? I was looking into some of the magnification images of various paints and how the old Valspar Enamel had the most flakes out at the surface out of the lot.
I never did test out the new AAA fully but my thoughts were that it was not as effective as the original AAA. It doesn't seem to boost the whites as much as the old stuff did. I just have no time lately.

Quote:
The3DLink wrote: View Post
I'll follow your suggestion and make up some test panels(my wife is gonna LOVE me painting more, lol!). Do you think I should even bother looking into a mix (would I see any benefits?), or just stick with OTS/neutrals?
To be honest, 90+% of the people painting screens should stick with OTS neutrals. They're dead on accurate for color and projectors have gotten bright enough that specialty mixes are a thing of the past.

post #210 of 235 Old 07-14-15, 10:39 PM
Max

Hi all,

I've decided I would like to take a crack at a Black Widow Ultra Screen of my own. There is a whole bunch of good information on this form but there is also an OVERWHELMING amount of information.

So far I've figured out that I need some Auto Air 4101 aluminum paint and a base color to mix it with. The trouble is there seam to be a huge amount of options for base color and I have no idea where to start. If the base color should be selected to best suit my particular setup then I really have no idea how to go about it.

If someone would be willing to help me out I can tell you that I'm using an Optoma HD25e and planning to project a 98" screen at 16:9 aspect ratio. I'm building a standoff from the wall I want to project on (which is basically a second wall because there is a dumb window in the way) so since this means i'll have fresh drywall to project onto. Is there a recommendation for primer, or does it really matter?

Any guidance for a base paint to mix with the Auto Air 4101 will be much appreciated, thank you!

-Max