Black Widow Ultra™ Development - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #21 of 239 Old 07-26-13, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

4 panels are done and the fifth will be done shortly. That's all I'll have time for today. I actually have two more to do after this - an original BW™ and a Veil with no AAA.

My BW Ultra™ with Snowfield as a base panel ended up slightly messed up. It's been too long since I've used the Wagner Control Spray and I put too much paint down on the last pass and it ran while I was away doing other things. It'll have to do though as I'm not planning on re-doing it.

I will also mix up a 4:1 mix with a white base to test with the spectro before I pack it in for the day. I won't be spraying a panel of that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 239 Old 07-27-13, 10:21 AM
HTS Moderator

Looking forward for the results!!
post #23 of 239 Old 07-27-13, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Quote:
Yiannis1970 wrote: View Post
Looking forward for the results!!
Don't hold your breath!

I decided today after looking at the Snowfield BW Ultra™ panel, I'll respray that one next week. Whenever you get runs in the paint, the aluminum tends to gather there. So I've got 3 left to spray. I should be able to get to them on either Thursday or Friday.

post #24 of 239 Old 07-30-13, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Some measures:

Sherwin Williams High Reflective White

Sherwin Williams HRW with AAA - 4:1

Valspar Ultra Premium Flat White base

Valspar Ultra Premium Flat White base with AAA 4:1

And my current finished panels:

Veil

Veil with AAA - 4:1

Granite Grey

Granite Grey with AAA - 4:1

post #25 of 239 Old 08-01-13, 04:32 PM

Looking forward to further results
post #26 of 239 Old 08-09-13, 02:32 PM
Shackster

Are you thinking of trying the new AAA with Glidden Diamond 450 with "lumitec"?
post #27 of 239 Old 08-10-13, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

I have no intention of trying it with a bunch of different paints. I've already gotten spectro readings from it mixed with a couple of white paints up a few posts. It's acceptable and I doubt there would be a dramatic change with other brands.

post #28 of 239 Old 08-10-13, 10:00 PM
Shackster

Sorry, not exactly sure how to read the charts, but im seeing an overall .6 gain in all color levels.. is that correct? Im hoping to get a .8 or so with Snowfield or is there another paint recommended to get a brighter equal level as Im going very large with the screen and need all the gain I can get. Do you recommend veil w aaa over snowfield for a brighter screen? Im in a dedicated theatre room /w no windows so ambient light doesnt matter much.

Thanks
post #29 of 239 Old 08-10-13, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

I really hate guessing, but if I did, I would guess the snowfield gain would be around .9-1ish area. The spectrum charts have nothing to do with gain.

post #30 of 239 Old 09-06-13, 02:00 PM
Shackster

I was thinking about one thing, i already try AAA and i saw some shimering because of the aluminium reflective particles of the paint and its very anoying. I read that the lumitec tecnology used in the Dulux paints uses titanium dioxide because its very reflective and thats why its white paint has almoust 1.1/1.2 gain. The titanium dioxide is a white pigment. Do you think its possible of ading the titanium dioxide white pigment to a neutral grey or even Black paint in a quantity that makes a grey mix with a good gain and no shimering? The dulux titanium white is very bright and as no shimering at all