Black Widow Ultra™ Development - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 235 Old 12-09-13, 05:41 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 17
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

hi guys.
im new in this forum but i have followed BW topics long time ago.

i have a mitsubishi HC3800 (1300 lumens) projecting a 105" image from 3,50m, according to projector calculator this give me a image brightness of 18fl with a screen gain of 1.0, but i use it in low lamp mode.

after doing lot of research i start my plans to do a BW screen with new AA formula and a white mate paint. im from Portugal so i dont have easy acess to those paint you recommend as base and AA i bought from ebay.uk and postage is a bit expensive.

after i sand the wall, prime it and apply 2 coats of 4:1 white mate base/AA i get a beautifull uniform light grey screen, no roller mark, no hotspots, no nothing just a very smooth light grey paint.

after i power on my projector the image was amazing, white was very white and the image just pop up, with beautifull colours. compared with a white wall is a great improvement. my only tiny disappoint was the black color, i was expect have more improvement on black level compared with a white wall , the improvements are very visisble but i was expect a bit more like i see on some topic of BW using old formula.

my question is, if i instead using a white base use a grey base the black levels will be improved? as far i could check,using the new AA formula with a white base we get a much more light grey compared with the old BW formula right? what grey paint should i use to get a screen with about same colour of old BW paint?

i dont know if i can go with a much dark screen. with my projector specs/mount options can i use a grey base paint instead white?

im really very impressed with my BW screen, just try to see if i can get some more improvements

thanks you guys for all that work and research and sorry for my bad english

Last edited by stryker; 12-09-13 at 09:17 AM.
stryker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 235 Old 12-09-13, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
 
mechman's Avatar
Steve Mechelke -mech
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Empire Township, MN
Posts: 14,914
My System
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
stryker wrote: View Post
my question is, if i instead using a white base use a grey base the black levels will be improved? as far i could check,using the new AA formula with a white base we get a much more light grey compared with the old BW formula right? what grey paint should i use to get a screen with about same colour of old BW paint?
Yiannis may be able to help you better than either myself or harpmaker here. What paint brands do you have available? To get a BW Ultra™ similar to the original BW™, you would want the base paint tinted to Glidden Veil.

Quote:
stryker wrote: View Post
i dont know if i can go with a much dark screen. with my projector specs/mount options can i use a grey base paint instead white?
Yes.

Quote:
stryker wrote: View Post
im really very impressed with my BW screen, just try to see if i can get some more improvements

thanks you guys for all that work and research and sorry for my bad english
Your English is fine!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mechman is offline  
post #63 of 235 Old 12-09-13, 10:18 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 17
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Yiannis may be able to help you better than either myself or harpmaker here. What paint brands do you have available? To get a BW Ultra™ similar to the original BW™, you would want the base paint tinted to Glidden Veil.
thanks for the quick reply

i can get any paint brand available from ebay.uk so i think i can get any brand that sell in UK.

in my country i can get paint brands that maybe you never heard, like Procolor, Cin, Robbialac, Marilina, Barbot right?
stryker is offline  
post #64 of 235 Old 12-09-13, 01:55 PM
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 112
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
grinthock wrote: View Post
I apologize in advanced if this has been covered. Here in Canada I have access to AAA-F (new) no problem, but i'm trying to figure out the base paint.

We have Dulux location everywhere as well as some Lowe's and of course Home Depot locations.

The plan is to prime with Kilz 2, and then do a BW made with 00NN 53/000 "Veil" at a 4:1 Ratio

My question is around paint "BASE" is you look on the Dulux web site specifically for Canada, there are various options (again i'm not stuck with Dulux is Lowes if a better option)

http://www.dulux.ca/en/our-products/...terior-paints/ Diamond? LifeMaster? Glidden Ultra? I have read some people had different experience with Diamond specifically because of the way the TiO2 is in that product.

They list various base paints, and they all come in various sheens and types. What i'm looking for is what is the best recommended base and sheen type for a proper BW mix...

I did notice some people still using the "Valspar Ultra White Flat" base, but I noticed Eggshell mentioned? Many discussions of Snow and Veil and various grey versions - but just want to ensure again that the base is right.

After looking into all this (but i'm still looking for clarification only because others may also) I was able to pick up 2 x 16oz containers of AAA-F LOT 69 at my local Currys Art Supply here in Canada -- which means VUPE in 427-2 Bermuda Beige is what I need! --- that I know I can get.
grinthock is offline  
post #65 of 235 Old 12-09-13, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
 
mechman's Avatar
Steve Mechelke -mech
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Empire Township, MN
Posts: 14,914
My System
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
grinthock wrote: View Post
I apologize in advanced if this has been covered. Here in Canada I have access to AAA-F (new) no problem, but i'm trying to figure out the base paint.

We have Dulux location everywhere as well as some Lowe's and of course Home Depot locations.

The plan is to prime with Kilz 2, and then do a BW made with 00NN 53/000 "Veil" at a 4:1 Ratio

My question is around paint "BASE" is you look on the Dulux web site specifically for Canada, there are various options (again i'm not stuck with Dulux is Lowes if a better option)

http://www.dulux.ca/en/our-products/...terior-paints/ Diamond? LifeMaster? Glidden Ultra? I have read some people had different experience with Diamond specifically because of the way the TiO2 is in that product.

They list various base paints, and they all come in various sheens and types. What i'm looking for is what is the best recommended base and sheen type for a proper BW mix...

I did notice some people still using the "Valspar Ultra White Flat" base, but I noticed Eggshell mentioned? Many discussions of Snow and Veil and various grey versions - but just want to ensure again that the base is right.
I have very little experience with Dulux. I would stick to sheens that are less than Eggshell. Flat, Matte or Flat Enamels should work fine.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mechman is offline  
post #66 of 235 Old 12-10-13, 05:24 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 17
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Yiannis may be able to help you better than either myself or harpmaker here. What paint brands do you have available? To get a BW Ultra™ similar to the original BW™, you would want the base paint tinted to Glidden Veil.
after you recommend glidden vail colour i did a quick search on this forum about it and exist lot and lot of people very very pleased with screens painted with that colour.

hope Yiannis pass here soon and recommend a place in UK that ship glidden veil to Portugal ( i hope such place exist) where i can buy it
stryker is offline  
post #67 of 235 Old 12-10-13, 08:56 AM
HTS Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Greece
Posts: 515
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
stryker wrote: View Post
thanks for the quick reply

i can get any paint brand available from ebay.uk so i think i can get any brand that sell in UK.

in my country i can get paint brands that maybe you never heard, like Procolor, Cin, Robbialac, Marilina, Barbot right?
Hi stryker!!

Is Benjamin Moore or Caparol being imported in Portugal? I 've never heard of these paints you mentioned but i 'll try to see if by any chance are connected to Vitex or Vivechrom (Greece's local paint brands). Usually local paints use franchising but the formula of the paint remains the same of some well known brand.
Yiannis1970 is offline  
post #68 of 235 Old 12-10-13, 10:42 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 17
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
Yiannis1970 wrote: View Post
Hi stryker!!

Is Benjamin Moore or Caparol being imported in Portugal? I 've never heard of these paints you mentioned but i 'll try to see if by any chance are connected to Vitex or Vivechrom (Greece's local paint brands). Usually local paints use franchising but the formula of the paint remains the same of some well known brand.

never saw those brands selling in Portugal , we dont have many brands here

i think i only need 1L of paint, so i dont mind pay some few extra € and buy from ebay.uk or any place that ship to Portugal.

unfortunately i search those brands on ebay.uk but didnt get much luck. get auto air fine-aluminium was already hard, only found one shop on ebay.uk that sell to here.


thanks

edit: i forget to say that Procolor brand have a machine that can mix colours and make specific code colours but i suppose the result vary from each machine

Last edited by stryker; 12-10-13 at 11:10 AM.
stryker is offline  
post #69 of 235 Old 12-10-13, 03:10 PM
HTS Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Greece
Posts: 515
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
stryker wrote: View Post

edit: i forget to say that Procolor brand have a machine that can mix colours and make specific code colours but i suppose the result vary from each machine
Can you ask them if they use NCS or RAL system?
Yiannis1970 is offline  
post #70 of 235 Old 12-10-13, 03:38 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 17
Re: Black Widow Ultra™ Development

Quote:
Yiannis1970 wrote: View Post
Can you ask them if they use NCS or RAL system?
on Procolor page say this translated to english : "It is one of the innovative tools developed by procolor allowing the professional painter locate in seconds deseadolas color charts color 55/05, Renova, ACC Color Map, Ral and NCS II."
stryker is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
black , development , ultra™ , widow

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome