AZ Black pearl projection paint - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 17 Old 07-26-15, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Is there a specific amount or ratio? Do members have to pm you for it? Or are we just 'winging it'? Is the grey the same formula as the black? Any pictures of how it performs compared to the same shade of neutral gray? I'm sure I could think of some more questions given some more time.

The 'ridiculous' comes from you posting this over a month ago with very little information. Members want information and there hasn't been much as of yet.
There is very little traffic on this forum
As is why I never put it up.
Most are lurkers I would guess. Also why I never put up the mix no one showed interest.
Till now

Valspar pearl
Also - valspar flat black in a quart

Behr silver screen
1quart

AZ Balck Pearl Mix
Paint I made

I mixed 1 gallon pearl1 quart Valspar Flat black

1 quart of that mix and added
8 oz of Behr silver screen

1/4 inch nap roller
1st coat was behr silver alone
2nd 3rd and 4th coat was the mix

Do 1 coat of the mix let dry calibrate to the black screen as you will lose whites !!!!

Thank you.
Hopes this helps your situation.

Last edited by JamesGalindo; 07-28-15 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 07-31-15, 11:10 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: AZ Black pearl projection paint

thanks, I think im gonna try this, really like the videos , thank you for sharing the paint info too!
post #13 of 17 Old 10-04-15, 11:07 AM

Hi James

thanks for sharing how your mix formula. I am a complete newbie to the HT world and was trying to paint my screen. I wanted to get some feedback and input to make the final choice.

My setup is using a benq ht 1075, i am aiming at a 115-120" screen. My HT room is open to the larger living area so there is going to be ambient light. The projector is around 10' from the wall. Also the ceiling is white and the side walls are not that dark.

I was leaning towards the Black widow ultra and saw your post. It seem that you have experimented a bit and wanted to see if you would recommend the BW Ultra or the one that you made from an overall performance basis. I don't think we will be watching too many things in day light but mostly in evenings where we can control the overall ambient light. Nevertheless there will be some due to the fact that its not a dedicated room

Also, wanted to confirm your mix and few other things

Valspar pearl - 1 gallon
Valspar flat black - 1 Quart
mix the above two and take 1 Quart of the mix
add this to the 8oz of behr silver screen

use 1/4 inch nap roller
1st coat use behr silver alone
2nd coat is the mix of behr silver + mix (VS pearl + VS flat black)
calibrate to the screen after this. (I understand what you are saying that i will lose the whites but since my electrical connections are not turned on, i am not sure if i can do this, is this a very critical step?)
3rd and 4th coat with the mix

thanks
post #14 of 17 Old 03-21-16, 09:38 PM

what do you mean by this and whats the steps on how to do this? I might be just confused haha. Thanks "Do 1 coat of the mix let dry calibrate to the black screen as you will lose whites"
post #15 of 17 Old 03-21-16, 09:50 PM

what do you mean by this and whats the steps on how to do this? I might be just confused haha. Thanks "Do 1 coat of the mix let dry calibrate to the black screen as you will lose whites"
post #16 of 17 Old 03-21-16, 09:54 PM

sorry it posted twice
post #17 of 17 Old 10-18-16, 10:47 AM
Pending

Quick question. Have you experimented with adding less of the Black to the mix to try and get a higher gain? I am planning to paint a wall for projector use (about 160" when it's done), but we do enjoy 3D films from time to time. You mentioned your mix is a little dark for 3D. Just wondering. We have the Epson 3500.
Thanks,
Chris