AZ Black pearl projection paint - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 06-04-15, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

AZ Black pearl projection paint

I have been trying to get a black paint to use with my epson 3600e for better blacks and watch during the day as well. Previously made a Silver Grey Paint and it turned out great.
Using the same paint made this AZ Black Pearl paint. Turned out nice did one coat for testing and it brought me good results.
Here is a 2 videos I made
https://youtu.be/S9BZEKPQ4V0

https://youtu.be/A5HtIU2qWl8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-10-15, 08:57 AM
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System
Re: AZ Black pearl projection paint

What paints are in this James?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 17 Old 06-10-15, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Used Valspar Brushed Pearl tinted to winter fox blue and flat black
Also Behr Silver Screen as a diffuser.

https://youtu.be/lh_dFwHYcjE
post #4 of 17 Old 06-10-15, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Comparison to a flat white

https://youtu.be/EWP_opErVUo
post #5 of 17 Old 06-17-15, 07:52 PM
Shackster
carlton

Good afternoon James, your screen looks amazing. Ive build a few screens in the past but with fabric and am looking to make a new screen going the paint route. The noob question I have for you is what do you mean you used silver screen as a diffuser. You'll you mind giving me a quick run down of the paint process you used. Thank you so much for your help.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-10-15, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

post #7 of 17 Old 07-25-15, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

1. Rolled out Carl's ProWhite screen
Light sprayed 3m spray glue except around edges. Let dry over night. 12hrs. Still will be a little sticky. But won't glue permanent to anything.
Rolled it back on the tube.

2. Turned on pj's color pattern
Aligned the screen unrolled it at the same time using the tube adding pressure to stick on wall stapled edge sides and top/ bottom middle.

3. Painted the screen with 1/4 inch nap roller with AZ Silver Grey 4 coats

4. Painted wood strips on floor with AZ Black Pearl

5. Turned on pj's color Pattern aligned the boards and nailed them in
Cut left over screen material from side of boards

6. Painted rest of wall same color as boards AZ Black Pearl.

7. Threw in Disney WoW Blu-ray Disc
Calibrated to my likes.
1. For cartoons
2. For movies
3. For sports
4. For TV
5. For dark movies

https://youtu.be/jM4jn6PwEDY
post #8 of 17 Old 07-25-15, 10:57 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

I have to admit that this is getting to be a bit ridiculous. Are you planning on sharing your formula or not?

post #9 of 17 Old 07-25-15, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
What paints are in this James?
Quote:
JamesGalindo wrote: View Post
Used Valspar Brushed Pearl tinted to winter fox blue and flat black
Also Behr Silver Screen as a diffuser.

https://youtu.be/lh_dFwHYcjE
Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
I have to admit that this is getting to be a bit ridiculous. Are you planning on sharing your formula or not?
I answered you last time.
How is it ridiculous?
Carl asked about it here.
but emailed me instead about it.
As others have too.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-25-15, 11:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Is there a specific amount or ratio? Do members have to pm you for it? Or are we just 'winging it'? Is the grey the same formula as the black? Any pictures of how it performs compared to the same shade of neutral gray? I'm sure I could think of some more questions given some more time.

The 'ridiculous' comes from you posting this over a month ago with very little information. Members want information and there hasn't been much as of yet.