Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Screen Backlighting - Need HELP

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  clutterclaw004 
#1 ·
Hello all, I am trying to do backlighting for my DIY screen. 161" diagonal I believe. I have a smart outlet that allows to turn on and off power from my phone. I have been looking at LED strips on Amazon but they all have remote with on/off button. I am wanting to setup backlight with turn on and off when power is supplied to lighting. Color hue changing preferred. I would settle for solid color blue though.

#4 ·
Are you planning to have this light on when watching movies? if so you dont want any other color than 6k otherwise your going to cause issues with the image quality and it will be a distraction not a help.

#6 ·
Are you planning to have this light on when watching movies? if so you don't want any other color than 6k otherwise your going to cause issues with the image quality and it will be a distraction not a help.
Can you explain further why I want 6K color(don't know what that is) over what mostly others are using for theirs? And note I;m trying to stay under $80 for backlighting.

#5 ·
You could buy extensions which I believe are about 3' each and about 30.00 each. I believe I have 5 extensions to surround my 92" screen. You would also need a Phillips Hue hub or starter kit with one. So it does get pretty pricey. I currently have about 20 of the lights, strips and bulbs and am very happy with them, but for the price, they had better last.

#8 ·
6K is a white light leaning towards a very slight blue color. If you use red or green or whatever other color and you have that on while watching movies it will cause eye strain and your brain will compensate for the color and then the actual image on the screen wont look as it should (whites will not look white etc)

#12 ·
I install these SUPERNIGHT kits -( identical to the $300 kit Screen Innovations sells with thier screens) - it has solid red blue green and many colors in between... and is dimmable .. I have the solid blue on while Im watching my movies and its really nice... $49.00
Having it triggered by AC seems a bit over the top ... I use my URC remote to control mine on/off and all colors...If you want to have it triggered with 12v you can still get the XANTECH AC1 from Amazon as well...

https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Waterproof-Flexible-600leds-Changing/dp/B00KCHRKD6/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1489270955&sr=8-10&keywords=supernight

This is mine with RED and full on... I just turned it up to show it off...

Attachments

#13 ·
The imaging science principles pertaining to human perceptual factors are seldom explained and frequently misunderstood, in both consumer video and less so in professional video. Surrounding a video display with the wrong viewing environment conditions will induce viewing fatigue for many people and/or distort the viewer's perception of the image. Here is an article that explains many of these principles: http://cinemaquestinc.com/ive.htm .

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
SMPTE, THX, ISF, Lion AV Consultants

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.