Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Screen for Mitsubishi 6800

3K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  mechman 
#1 ·
My picture on the new 6800 looks fine, hoever I want to know if I could do better. I have a DIY screen made from Da-Lite material. It is a high comtrast cinema screen with a 1.1 gain.
matted white, definitly not a bright white.
The 6800 lamp is set to ECO.

Any thoughts on improvements on leave well enough alone?

Thanks

#3 ·
My picture on the new 6800 looks fine, hoever I want to know if I could do better. I have a DIY screen made from Da-Lite material. It is a high comtrast cinema screen with a 1.1 gain.
matted white, definitly not a bright white.
The 6800 lamp is set to ECO.

Any thoughts on improvements on leave well enough alone?

Thanks
I think you answered your question. ;)

#4 ·
I would say contrast
I hbe no ambient light since I have a dedicated room.

#5 ·
Do you mean having the bulb set to ECO?

#7 · (Edited)
Out of the box.
I do have the Spears & Munsil calibration DVD however I was told by Oppo who had sent me this calibration video that it was not for the novice.
Why send it?
How about something more for the novice.

Do you know anything about this calibration DVD?
How difficult is it?
I would not want to make something that is satisfactory into a nightmare especially on the eve of the Super Bowl.

#8 ·
Spears & Munsil can be used to set your white and black levels. I use the disk every time I start a calibration. Just use it for contrast and brightness. If you want you can adjust color and tint using the blue filter as well. Outside of that, the only other pattern I would look at is the Clipping pattern.

When you are viewing a pattern and you don't know what to do, hit the up arrow on your remote. This will bring up the help screen for that pattern. The down arrow removes the help screen.

#9 ·
Thanks Mechman,:bigsmile:
I will try the Spears & Munsil DVD out for the contrast and brightness as you suggest. I am assuming that section to operate is for someone like myself....a novice in calibrating and pretty intuitive.:innocent:
My only concern is that I do not what to turn something good into something ugly and that I have to call a professional in to undo my mistakes.:paddle:
I have my heart set on a couple of new devices come the spring and I do not want to spend THAT money on something that I should have as the adage goes "If it's not broke don't fix it".:sad:
However, the 6800 could use a litte tweeking, but I must say I am blow away with how clear, crisp and smooth the picture looks on my screen. On top of that the 6800 is very quiet.:T

I really appreciate all of your input and suggestions.:clap:
I intend to leave it alone for now because of the Super Bowl but will jump into it between Monday and Tuesday.
Anything that would help guide me in setting up for the calibration wold help also. I do not mean to be a pain in the A_ _ I am just nervous about doing this but I know it should be done.:flex:

Thank you,
Frank

#11 ·
I will try the Spears & Munsil DVD out for the contrast and brightness as you suggest. I am assuming that section to operate is for someone like myself....a novice in calibrating and pretty intuitive.:innocent:
My only concern is that I do not what to turn something good into something ugly and that I have to call a professional in to undo my mistakes.:paddle:
It's not as bloated as Disney's World of Wonder or the DVE Blu-Ray - meaning there are just the patterns and some demo material. There's no person on the screen explaining every minute detail of the disk. But if you just hit the up arrow you have all the information you need for the current pattern on your screen. :T

One of the things that I hate about the old DVE disk is that the menu system was awful, to say the least. Spears & Munsil is simple and very straight forward. I have yet to delve very deeply in the World of Wonder Blu-Ray. One thing that I saw that I thought was rather stupid was that some of the demo material was animated scenes. You can draw no conclusion whatsoever from an animated sequence. :nono:

#12 ·
I will give it a go.
So according to your post I male all the adjustments on the Oppo remote and not the projetor?
That dies nt sound right
But forgiveme I have neve done this before.
I put the disc in the Oppo and went right to contrast
I saw three bars and the instructions were talking about numbers on the bars which I could hardly see.
I thought that I would be making adjustments on the 6800

#14 ·
Thanks will e you know ow it goes
Thais for your patience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.