Best paint mix for on-wall projection with Epson PowerLite 8350? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound XTZ Sound OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Standout Design DSP Axiom Audio

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Projection Screens > DIY Screens
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 24065 - Replies: 37  
Old 06-30-11, 07:46 PM   #1
Shackster

Since: Jun 2011
I started this thread.
Best paint mix for on-wall projection with Epson PowerLite 8350?

I'd like to get some advice from the DIY screen folks here. I'm building a home theatre. I've got the audio handled (the acoustics worked out, panels and speakers all set, etc.) No problems there. But now it's time to work on the video side of things, and I've got a few questions.

My projector is a Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350. It will be positioned 10.5 ft from the wall onto which it will project.

The maximum viewable portion of the wall is 85" x 145" (obviously I will probably not project onto that entire area.)

The room can be in total darkness as required, so ambient light will never be an issue.

Prior to painting, some drywall repair will be done (to remove two sockets and one patch of previous damage), so if needs be I can get any other defects mended.

Given all of the above, what paint would you recommend for said wall? I will be hiring a contractor for this (have used him before and can trust him to follow exact directions), so I'm hoping that the mixing/application process can be boiled down to clear instructions (I'm afraid I can't just point him at the forums and say "go read that for a few days." )

Mixes, ready-made solutions, what would you'd recommend?

Thanks!
-Rob

P.S. Please let me know if I forgot any important details!

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-11, 11:30 PM   #2
HTS Senior Moderator

Don
Since: Oct 2007
Central PA
Re: Best paint mix for on-wall projection with Epson PowerLite 8350?

Hey Rob, welcome to the forum!

You forgot to tell us one of the most important aspects of your home theater and that is the color and lightness of the walls, ceiling and floor. If the walls and ceiling (and to a more limited extent the floor) are white or a light color (any color) you can have ambient light problems even with no other lights on in the room when viewing except the PJ since the light from the screen will reflect off those surfaces and back onto the screen causing a loss of image contrast and color depth. The closer the walls and ceiling are to the edges of your screen area the more bounce-back you will have.

From a quick look at the projection calculator at projector central it seems that the largest image size you can have with the 8350 mounted 10 1/2 feet from the wall is 108" (53" x 94") diagonal assuming a 16:9 aspect ratio. This is well within your stipulated 85" x 145" wall area.

The good news is that you have a bright PJ which will be producing an image brightness of at least 29 fL (normal recommended image brightness is 16 fL). This allows you some room to potentially compensate for lighter color room surfaces by using a gray screen. More good news is that at these fL levels you don't have to use a reflectively enhanced screen mix and can use a regular OTS (off-the-shelf) paint in either a white or a gray. We can make more detailed paint choices after we know the approximate lightness of your HT room surfaces.

Old 07-01-11, 12:03 AM   #3
Shackster

I started this thread.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Right, so colors. The walls are a medium gray (probably around #BBBBBB so). The ceiling is off-white on the side of gray (#EFEFEF-ish). Carpet is roughly (*very* roughly) #996600.

Now depending on how the acoustics work out I might end up covering the side walls in acoustic tiling. If that's the case, then expect dark grey/black for all the walls. I wish I could say for certain whether or not I'll be putting them up, but I haven't had enough free time in the evenings to finish figuring that stuff out. (I've been spending all my evenings with CARA, a tape measure, and mics...)

Old 07-01-11, 12:19 AM   #4
Shackster

I started this thread.

I'm a little confused about the projection size figures you posted. While I was able to reproduce the figures via the tool you linked to, the spec. sheet for the 8350 seems to indicate that I can do a lot bigger even at 10.5'. Am I missing something?

Edit: Ok, after playing with the calculator a bit more, and after re-doing some measurements, it looks like with the maximum throw distance the room will allow me (a hair under 11.5') the absolute biggest the calculator says I can do is 117" diagonal (57 x 102"). That still gives me 25 fL. Dunno if that changes anything...

Last edited by ThinkRob; 07-01-11 at 12:37 AM..

Old 07-01-11, 01:26 AM   #5
HTS Senior Moderator

Don
Central PA

Quote:
ThinkRob wrote: View Post
Thanks for the prompt response.

Right, so colors. The walls are a medium gray (probably around #BBBBBB so). The ceiling is off-white on the side of gray (#EFEFEF-ish). Carpet is roughly (*very* roughly) #996600.

Now depending on how the acoustics work out I might end up covering the side walls in acoustic tiling. If that's the case, then expect dark grey/black for all the walls. I wish I could say for certain whether or not I'll be putting them up, but I haven't had enough free time in the evenings to finish figuring that stuff out. (I've been spending all my evenings with CARA, a tape measure, and mics...)
#BBBBBB is N7.5 on the Munsell Gray Scale. You could paint your screen area with Valspar Ultra Premium interior latex in eggshell finish that has been tinted to match Glidden Master Palette 'Veil' and get a nice screen extremely close to this same color. You probably don't need to go this dark if you aren't going to have any lights on during viewing so a lighter gray would be the same paint tinted to match Behr 'Silver Screen' which is #CFCFCF (N8.3).

Quote:
I'm a little confused about the projection size figures you posted. While I was able to reproduce the figures via the tool you linked to, the spec. sheet for the 8350 seems to indicate that I can do a lot bigger even at 10.5'. Am I missing something?
Here is what I am getting (except the size is now 107" diag., must be round-off error ):

Quote:
Edit: Ok, after playing with the calculator a bit more, and after re-doing some measurements, it looks like with the maximum throw distance the room will allow me (a hair under 11.5') the absolute biggest the calculator says I can do is 117" diagonal (57 x 102"). That still gives me 25 fL. Dunno if that changes anything...
With the larger screen and dimmer image I would now recommend the Valspar Ultra Premium interior latex in eggshell finish tinted to match Behr 'Silver Screen' as the darkest gray to use to get the most image contrast and color depth and for a lighter gray use the same paint tinted to match Glidden Master Palette 'Snowfield' (#DDDDDD / N8.8) if you prefer image brightness instead of image contrast and color depth.

In either case which paint to use comes down to user preference. The darker gray screen will have richer, deeper colors and more image contrast at the cost of overall image brightness. The Lighter gray screen will be the inverse having a overall brighter image at the cost of lower image contrast and more faded colors. There will not be a day-and-night difference between them though.

Old 07-12-11, 03:03 PM   #6
Shackster

I started this thread.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I did a bit of review-reading, and I'm a little concerned by a number of negative reviews about the Valsper paint that you mentioned. It seems that some folks have trouble with the paint peeling when it's been applied on top of existing paint!

Do you have any other recommendations? I'm more a fan of the "higher contrast, deeper blacks" approach, since the room will be completely blacked out during viewing and I don't think I'll need maximum brightness.

Thanks!

Old 07-12-11, 03:31 PM   #7
HTS Senior Moderator

Don
Central PA

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations.

I did a bit of review-reading, and I'm a little concerned by a number of negative reviews about the Valsper paint that you mentioned. It seems that some folks have trouble with the paint peeling when it's been applied on top of existing paint!
I believe I saw those negative reviews and while I won't say it could never happen, I have never, first-hand, heard of a case where Valspar Ultra Premium has peeled. My guess would be that those that had that problem painted directly over a glossy or semi-gloss paint, or perhaps even over a plastic laminate of some kind, without priming first. Primer isn't paint even though it looks like it; the primary purpose of a primer is to seal whatever is being primed and to provide a "grippy" surface for regular paint to stick to.

You should be able to use the colors I recommended to you in other brands of paint as well, just choose one you like. If using other brands of paint I would stick with a flat or matte finish paint. I would not recommend using the Behr ULTRA paint (a friend of mine DID have a peeling problem with it) unless that is all that is available to you.

Quote:
Do you have any other recommendations? I'm more a fan of the "higher contrast, deeper blacks" approach, since the room will be completely blacked out during viewing and I don't think I'll need maximum brightness.

Thanks!
I think the Behr 'Silver Screen' is a good color choice for you (Glidden 'Universal Gray' would also work, it's about the same shade). The darkest I would go is the N7.5 Glidden 'Veil', but you really shouldn't need that unless you have ambient light.

Old 07-17-11, 11:17 PM   #8
Shackster

I started this thread.

Right, so Behr Silver Screen. Should I mix it with anything (and if so, in what proportions?) or just use it as is?

Also, what about Black Widow? Is it suitable for covering a whole wall? The comparison pictures made it look quite nice indeed!

I figured on having the painter use a sprayer to get the smoothest finish possible -- does that change anything?

Thanks!

Last edited by ThinkRob; 07-17-11 at 11:24 PM..

Old 07-18-11, 09:07 AM   #9
HTS Senior Moderator

Don
Central PA

Quote:
Right, so Behr Silver Screen. Should I mix it with anything (and if so, in what proportions?) or just use it as is?
Just use it as-is. The only reason to add anything to a neutral gray paint is to increase the gain of the mix to make up for either an under-powered PJ or a screen size that is really too big for the PJ being used. You're HT doesn't fit in either of those categories.

Quote:
Also, what about Black Widow? Is it suitable for covering a whole wall? The comparison pictures made it look quite nice indeed!
Black Widow™ is a great screen mix, but it was designed back when many PJ's had considerably less lumens than they do today. You could use it rather than a simple neutral gray paint, but you don't need to since you have plenty of image brightness.

The thing about reflectively enhanced screens, DIY or commercial, is that the same ingredients that boost screen gain also have some negative effects as well. Whenever you put what are in essence little tiny mirrors into a paint it is possible that if the projected image is too bright the image can appear to be grainy. We have only had a few (2 or 3) people complain of that when using BW™ and I believe we traced the problem down to excessive image brightness.

Quote:
I figured on having the painter use a sprayer to get the smoothest finish possible -- does that change anything?

Thanks!
Not that I can think of.

Old 07-18-11, 01:14 PM   #10
Shackster

I started this thread.

The only reason I asked about Black Widow was since the projector will be at the upper end of its zoom range (so as to get the maximum screen size that I can for the throw that I've got), and I figured that might help make up for it.

I think it came out to 23 fL in the worst case -- but that's assuming that I run the projector at its full brightness. I figure that with Eco Mode (or whatever it's called) I might end up lower than that, hence the need for an enhanced paint like Black Widow.

But hey, if you say Silver Screen is good that's good enough for me. You guys know way more about this than I will ever likely know! (Plus, I'm not averse to getting the wall re-painted if it turns out not to be satisfactory...)

Thanks again!

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Projection Screens > DIY Screens »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »