Question about my walls - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 15 Old 10-14-11, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Question about my walls

So I have a newly finished basement. When it was painted it seems that some of the drywall dust was still on the wall. When that was painted over it created a little bit of a texture. The overall surface is flat but there is some texture because of this. Will this cause a problem with a painted screen?

Optoma HD20
120" EliteScreens R120H1 - Cinegrey

Pioneer Elite VSX32
Polk Monitor70 Series II - Main
Polk CS1 Series II - Center
Polk RCi60 - Surround
Polk PSW505 - Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-14-11, 01:35 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Question about my walls

Quote:
ja3hawk wrote: View Post
So I have a newly finished basement. When it was painted it seems that some of the drywall dust was still on the wall. When that was painted over it created a little bit of a texture. The overall surface is flat but there is some texture because of this. Will this cause a problem with a painted screen?
Welcome to our corner of the forum!

The answer to your question depends on what mix you use to paint your screen and how much texture difference there really is on the wall. Reflectively enhanced mixes like Black Widow™ and C&S™ Ultra tend to show texture differences more than regular latex paint because they have higher peak gain.

Could you post a photo of the texture you are talking about? Please include an object in the shot (a coin or pen/pencil) to give a sense of scale to it.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-14-11, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Yep. As soon as I get a chance I'll post a pic. My plan was to keep it fairly simple with the paint by using an off the shelf: SW7071

Poly Topcoat: Behr #780

I have total ambient light control so I didn't think I would need to mess with any complex mixes. I currently have a white screen but I'm unhappy with the HD20 contrast on the white screen and I want to squeeze an extra 10" out of my setup....

Optoma HD20

Pioneer Elite VSX32
Polk RCi60 - Surround
Polk PSW505 - Sub
post #4 of 15 Old 10-14-11, 05:39 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
ja3hawk wrote: View Post
Yep. As soon as I get a chance I'll post a pic. My plan was to keep it fairly simple with the paint by using an off the shelf: SW7071

Poly Topcoat: Behr #780

I have total ambient light control so I didn't think I would need to mess with any complex mixes. I currently have a white screen but I'm unhappy with the HD20 contrast on the white screen and I want to squeeze an extra 10" out of my setup....
The Sherwin-Williams 'Gray Screen' SW7071 is a good N8 neutral gray OTS paint and will help get deeper blacks out of the HD20. If you are using SW paint then I would get that in a satin finish; if getting that color paint in Valspar or Behr I would get either the interior enamel or eggshell finish (the eggshell has a bit more gloss than the enamel, but not enough to hot spot). If you need the widest viewing cone you can get then use a flat or matte finish paint.

If you want a neutral gray screen then DO NOT use the Behr #780 water-based polyurethane top-coat. The poly will do nothing but throw the color of the screen off and blur the projected image.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-14-11, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
The Sherwin-Williams 'Gray Screen' SW7071 is a good N8 neutral gray OTS paint and will help get deeper blacks out of the HD20. If you are using SW paint then I would get that in a satin finish; if getting that color paint in Valspar or Behr I would get either the interior enamel or eggshell finish (the eggshell has a bit more gloss than the enamel, but not enough to hot spot). If you need the widest viewing cone you can get then use a flat or matte finish paint.

If you want a neutral gray screen then DO NOT use the Behr #780 water-based polyurethane top-coat. The poly will do nothing but throw the color of the screen off and blur the projected image.
Okay Thanks for the info on the poly top coat. When I got home, I took my current screen off the and inspected the wall itself. Let's say I'm a little worried. I turned the projector on and took a look at some images with the painted orange walls. I've got a nice little drywall crease... pics of the texture I was talking about (with my pinky) in the pic is below. This is the worst spot and I really couldn't see it at all. Yep my walls are orange at this point... I'm thinking I will do the matte based paint from SW to try to hide the flaws. This would be between flat and eggshell based on what I'm reading.

In the second pic, see if you can pick out the drywall crease. Ugh... (photos taken with iphone - sorry bout that)

What should I do!!?!

Optoma HD20

Pioneer Elite VSX32
Polk RCi60 - Surround
Polk PSW505 - Sub
post #6 of 15 Old 10-14-11, 08:05 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

If you use a flat or matte paint you probably won't be bothered by the texture, but the drywall crease is another matter. I'm not familiar with that movie, and the iphone photo leaves a bit to be desired in sharpness, but I think I see a horizontal line running close to the top of the image, is this the crease?

I've never worked with drywall (my family always used wallpaper or paneling), but from what I have read about such matters to fix it you would have to sand and mud the wall.

About paint finishes; Sherwin-Williams seem to have two different gloss systems for their paints and which one applies depends on the paint used. Most of the interior paints are available in flat finish, but the 'Duration' paint is only available in matte finish. In most paints I am familiar with, and have seen gloss and sheen data for, flat and matte are essentially the same. I could find no specific gloss data on the SW paints. And you are correct, the flatter a paints finish the more texture and surface problems it hides.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-14-11, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
If you use a flat or matte paint you probably won't be bothered by the texture, but the drywall crease is another matter. I'm not familiar with that movie, and the iphone photo leaves a bit to be desired in sharpness, but I think I see a horizontal line running close to the top of the image, is this the crease?

I've never worked with drywall (my family always used wallpaper or paneling), but from what I have read about such matters to fix it you would have to sand and mud the wall.

About paint finishes; Sherwin-Williams seem to have two different gloss systems for their paints and which one applies depends on the paint used. Most of the interior paints are available in flat finish, but the 'Duration' paint is only available in matte finish. In most paints I am familiar with, and have seen gloss and sheen data for, flat and matte are essentially the same. I could find no specific gloss data on the SW paints. And you are correct, the flatter a paints finish the more texture and surface problems it hides.
Thank you so much. You've proven to be very knowledgable. Yes that is the crease. You can't see it with darker images but when you get lighter images on the screen, you can easily see it. I think what it's coming down to for me is that I'll either need to do a substrate or just buy a manufactured screen. Thanks again!

EDIT: Actually I misspoke. The crease is running vertically (up and down) near the right side, above the farmost right characters head. Its in the white crown molding of this movie (Monsters vs Aliens).

Optoma HD20

Pioneer Elite VSX32
Polk RCi60 - Surround
Polk PSW505 - Sub

Last edited by ja3hawk; 10-14-11 at 08:49 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-14-11, 08:59 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

bigbadbill

I have done a lot of work with drywall (Gyprock here in Australia) and it is very easy to fix blemishes.
A light sanding and a wipe with some finishing plaster, using the widest blade you can get. When its dry another light sand and you are done.
Or get a pro in to do it.

Cheers,
Bill.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-14-11, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
robbo266317 wrote: View Post
I have done a lot of work with drywall (Gyprock here in Australia) and it is very easy to fix blemishes.
A light sanding and a wipe with some finishing plaster, using the widest blade you can get. When its dry another light sand and you are done.
Or get a pro in to do it.

Cheers,
Bill.
Thanks Bill. I might give this a shot. I'll be weighing my options over the next couple of days... And I thought I would have this done over the weekend!

Optoma HD20

Pioneer Elite VSX32
Polk RCi60 - Surround
Polk PSW505 - Sub
post #10 of 15 Old 10-25-11, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi Guys - Just to update. I broke down and ordered the screen in my sig. I realize it is the most entry level grey screen you can get but I think it looks solid. I notice a little bit of hot spotting though. Or at least what I perceive as hot spotting. I never saw it with my white screen. It basically looks like you can almost see the sheen of the screen on bright scenes in moving (almost shiny). Is this a fair description and most importantly is there anything I can do to alleviate it. My wife never said anything and usually she notices these things. Thanks in advance. I realize this isn't about my original post anymore, so if you feel I will get better responses reposting, I will. Thanks again.

Optoma HD20

Pioneer Elite VSX32
Polk RCi60 - Surround
Polk PSW505 - Sub