Has anyone tried Full-Spectrum Paints - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 4 Old 05-25-12, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Has anyone tried Full-Spectrum Paints

A TV show was showing the new full spectrum type of paint. This paint does not have any black in it. This is so the paint will not absorb as much light.

The first thing I thought of was testing of the paint for a projector screen.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 05-25-12, 05:11 PM
Elite Shackster
Steve Mechelke -mech
My System
Re: Has anyone tried Full-Spectrum Paints

No. Full spectrum paints have been over-hyped for quite some time. Silver fire being the biggest offender. You can ask any color scientist or any art teacher for that matter, and they will tell you the same as I. It is not how you get to a neutral gray, it's just whether or not the gray is neutral that is important. And I believe it was Harp who told me once that the purest colors are the ones that have the LEAST number of individual pigments in them. I believed he learned that in art class.

I think someone recently told me this has been brought up at avs recently. But I haven't had the time or the inclination to see how they are bungling it over there. There's no doubt in my mind that they are probably saying that this is the next best thing to sliced bread. Well... they are wrong... again.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-25-12, 07:38 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Re: Has anyone tried Full-Spectrum Paints

The so-called "Full Spectrum" paints are primarily marketing hype. For those that don't know about these paints they are paint colors that are made by adding anywhere from 5 to 7 colors of tints to a base paint depending on what brand of FS paint you are using. The theory is that black tint will only absorb light and not reflect color (which is wrong) and will result in a dull or muddy paint color whenever it is used (which is also wrong). By using a tint color from each of the colors of the rainbow (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet) they say that the paint will reflect more light than regular tinted paint (which normally uses 3 or 4 colors of tints) as the room or object painted is illuminated by the different colors of daylight it is exposed to throughout the day (from cool in the morning to warm colors in the afternoon then back to cool in the evening). They are wrong that a FS paint will be brighter than a paint mixed with some black in it (provided they are the same color to the human eye), but they are correct in that the room painted with a FS paint will probably change color more with the differing colors of light that illuminate it. This phenomenon is called Metamerism and most people have seen it when they buy an article of clothing that looks one color (say deep green) in the store under fluorescent lighting, but when they look at it under daylight it looks a deep blue. This apparent change of color caused by changing the color (also know as the Spectral Power Distribution) of the light source is why all things video have been designed for use with a D65 light source (the "color" of the early afternoon sky in Northern Europe). D stands for Daylight and 65 stands for 6,500 Kelvin (the "color temperature" of the light).

All our screen mixes and suggested OTS gray paints are measured using the D65 standard illuminant (one of the CIE Standard Illuminants). For this reason the visible color difference between a FS neutral gray made with 7 color tints and a regular neutral gray made with 3 color tints would be nonexistent since they both would produce the same color and shade of gray at D65. The FS neutral gray could change color more under different illuminants such as fluorescent and incandescent lighting, but that is actually a bad thing for a projection screen.

The reason why artists make their own "black" paints by mixing 2 or 3 colors of paint together (NEVER 7!) is because they don't want a true black, but rather want a darker shade of a brighter color (usually to paint a shadow). The shadow of a red ball will not be black, but rather a darker shade of red. If the ball were setting on a black table then black paint would be mixed with the red to produce the shadow color, but usually the ball is resting on a more interesting colored surface so other paints are used to produce the shadow color. Even beginning students are taught that the more colors you use to produce a final color paint the greater the chance is that you will end up making a dull, muddy brown (which BTW is what the current formula for the Silver Fire Colorant produces ).
post #4 of 4 Old 05-25-12, 08:14 PM
Plain ole user
Tech Guru
Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
That is because all paint colors are pigments which reflect only one color. That means that they absorb everything else.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.

fullspectrum , paints

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page