A quick removable screen for movie night - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 03-20-13, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
A quick removable screen for movie night

I am on the 1 year plan to a happy home theater .

The end goal is an acoustically transparent screen using material from Seymour AV. I didn't want to shell out for the nice material before I was sure of some basics: how big should the screen be? what is the right height? etc.

So I decided to put together a temporary screen using these instructions: http://www.seymourav.com/articles/DI...FrameGallo.pdf

I have done a fair amount of woodworking but I always use hardwood. The first issue I hit was framing lumber is anything but straight! After ripping a 2x12 it bowed up and down... crazy!

So I had to face glue the pieces and rip again:

Then I cut the profile. I did it a little differently from the plans because I did not want the screen to be flush with the back of the frame:

I then installed the window screen track and wrapped it in velvet from SY Fabrics. By the way they shipped fast and the material works great!

For a temporary screen material I used blackout cloth from Jo Anns. The cost was ~14$ with a coupon .

105" is the maximum I thought I could do with the height of the material and the amount of boarder my frame needed. And in fact I should have trimmed an extra 1/2" inch off the vertical to give me some more working room when tensioning.

As this is a "temporary" arrangement I needed a way to place the screen in front of my plasma:

The screen is mounted on a pair of simple frames:

It has a small shelf the screen rests on and some rare earth magnets embedded in the frame. I screwed some metal plates to the back of the frame for the magnets to grab onto:

The end product:

I also needed a place to store the screen when not in use. So I made some simple brackets that are very similar to the frame but mounted directly to the wall:

All in all I am pretty happy with the end result. Some random thoughts:
  • The velvet is great because it lets you zoom the image out a hair and the light just disappears leaving a perfect rectangle.
  • 105" feels huge from 9' away.
  • 33" off the ground feels too high and puts a crick in my neck.
  • Minor wrinkles visible in the screen in the day do not seem to affect the performance when in use.
  • I have no complaints about using blackout cloth as a screen material (if you don't need/want AT).
  • The difference between one 60w light on and no lights on is significant for projector performance.
  • Why aren't all remotes back-lit?
  • Netflix streaming looks much better then DVD (a surprise to me!)
  • 1080p blu-ray looks amazing on a 105" screen
  • 720p ATSC TV looks pretty good too.
  • The magnet attachment system works well! It is stable against bumps but still fast/easy to remove/attach.
  • Use the longest metal corner braces you can get when screwing the frame together. Even then a frame this size without bracing is very wobbly.
Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 Old 03-21-13, 08:04 AM
HTS Moderator
My System
Re: A quick removable screen for movie night

Very ingenious mate - nicely done!
post #3 of 7 Old 03-21-13, 08:21 AM
Elite Shackster
My System

Nicely done. You do have some wood working skills. I love wood working.

~There are many roads to nirvana, while the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride~
post #4 of 7 Old 03-21-13, 09:04 AM
Elite Shackster
My System

Agreed! Thats great work. I love the woodworking you did its very clean.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 7 Old 03-21-13, 09:51 AM
Senior Shackster
Muad' Dib
My System

Thanks for taking the time to post your build. I always find other people's
project informative. I've got a couple projects on deck myself that I should
probably take the time to post. (DIY Audio panels, homemade component
cabinet, etc)

What kind of table saw do you have? I always run into issues with lumber not being straight.
Right now I have a Miter saw and a circular saw that I make the best of. But I know
that if I ever want to make more intricate pieces I need to get a good table saw.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-21-13, 10:44 AM
Elite Shackster
Steve Mechelke -mech
My System
post #7 of 7 Old 03-21-13, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

On woodworking forums my "shop" aka garage seems pretty meager. But on ht forums it is a relatively well equipt shop . The saw is a sawstop ICS. I bought it used but in fine condition. It is a wonderful saw, no complaints except for the price.

I have a planer and jointer also and usually don't have any problem straightening out wood. And I am used to hardwood closing in on the cut a tad but I was not prepared for the crazy reaction I got when I ripped the 2x12!!

By the way please do post your acoustic panel build. Hopefully I will get there by the end of the summer.

movie , night , quick , removable , screen

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page