Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Wall paint for Viewsonic Pro 8200

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  12loser12 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

I'm looking to temporarily throw my Viewsonic Pro8200 onto a basement wall of drywall. The rest of my basement is painted a dark blue. I will likely build my own screen at some point, make a nice paint mix, and have a good setup. However, for now, I am looking more for a stopgap. (I don't have a paint sprayer, a good way of mixing paints, or really even the time or workspace to build my screen.)

What single paint, that will be rolled onto primed drywall would you recommend for a Viewsonic Pro8200 in a semi light controlled basement with dark blue side walls and a white ceiling? I have done some reading and seen some suggestions about Sherwin-Williams ProClassic Smooth Enamel Satin Extra White, # B20 W 51. Would this be too bright for my projector, especially with the screen going right up next to a white ceiling? Should I try this? get it tinted? or do you recommend something entirely different like silverscreen? or valspar?

Thanks for the suggestions!

#2 ·
Welcome to HTS! :wave:

What size screen do you intend to have? How far is the PJ from the screen?

Generally, a white screen will only work well if there is no other light in the room during viewing and the room surfaces are dark colors. Even the light from a single candle on a white screen will visibly decrease image contrast/black levels.

You are going to have a problem if your screen is extremely close to a white ceiling. Either lower the screen or darken the area of the ceiling above the screen with dark paint or fabric to absorb light.

#3 ·
Thanks for the feedback, the screen will likely be about 97 or so inches and I will be casting from somewhere around 13-14 ish feet. I have yet to mount my projector so that is flexible, although the room is 18 feet long.

I will do my best with the light control, there is one window in the adjacent room and it is semi-open concept but we will likely get some of those light-controlling blinds and have those down when it is time to watch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.