Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Help with the Black Widow PFG DIY Projection Screen

38K views 121 replies 14 participants last post by  Sebastian Piest 
#1 ·
After the end of this years college football season I made a decison that I needed to change my current DIY projection screen to something that allows more ambient lighting without the lose of color and contrast. I reviewed several builds and decided on the Black Widow PFG route. It didn't turn out any better than what I had before. Please tell me what I did wrong.

My screen is 115", 16:9 ratio. I used 3/4" MDF with 1-1/2" black velvet borders. I installed RGB LED lighting around the perimeter. The lighting works well its the paint that failed me.

First I went to Menards and purchased some high quality primer. I cover the MDF with 3 coats making sure to show no roller marks. Next I took the picture you show on the Black Widow Thread and informed the counter I needed 1 quart of this Pittsburg Paint "Burmuda Beige" (427-2-Grand distinct flat latex as base). The paint number she gave me matched the picture I pulled from the website to the letter except for the Red/Yellow/Brown Oxide numbers (red=3, yellow=6, Brown=10). My numbers read as Red=3, Yellow=1, Brown=1. Do they need to match and what would cause them to be different?

Next I ordered from Amazon, 2-4oz Auto-Aluminum Fine bottles. The paint numbers on the bottle were 4101-4Z. That should be right on with what you recommended.

I mixed 1 quart of Bermuda Beige with the 2 bottles of Auto-Aluminum (8 oz) and mixed it with an electric drill. This is where the problem comes up. The paint is not grey!! It was even said by other people it is still slightly Beige to off-white. What did I do wrong? The ratio should be right to cover a 115", 16:9 screen. 1 quart of Bermuda Beige and 8 oz of Auto-Aluminum.

I am looking for advice because I want to re-paint it soon. Any help would be a help.

Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
First, Welcome to HTS! :wave:

Second, you did nothing wrong!!! Your paint store did!!! The color they gave you was NOT PPG 'Bermuda Beige'! :gulp: :unbelievable:

The image from the main Black Widow™ thread here shows the tint formula for a gallon of paint. The tint formula for a quart of paint divides those tint amounts by 4.

The tint for a gallon is:
Red Oxide - 3/48 oz.
Yellow Oxide - 6/48 oz.
Brown Oxide - 10/48 oz.

The correct tint formula for a quart would be:
Red Oxide - 1/96 oz. + 1/192 oz.
Yellow Oxide - 1/48 oz. + 1/96 oz.
Brown Oxide - 2/48 oz. + 1/96th oz.

I'm sorry your store messed up the color the way they did. They should at least replace the mis-tinted paint for free, but you're still out the cost of the AAA-F and the work and frustration.

A specific color of paint can be made from differing tint formulae, but it requires different tint colors be used to make the final color. They used the same tints as the gallon shown here, but they got the proportion of tint colors totally wrong! Blunders of this magnitude happen, but not often and there is no excuse at all since you used a PPG paint! You would think they would get there own color right. :doh: The paint they sold you would have a sever red push even after the AAA-F was added.

The AAA-F you got was the correct paint.

If I may ask, what was your DIY screen before the mis-tinted BW™ was applied?

#4 ·
Sure no problem. :T On the label on the gallon of paint the tints used are listed with a tint letter first (F = Red Oxide, C = Yellow Oxide and I = Brown Oxide) followed by the tint color name and then how much of that tint is used to make the final color. The lines of info are read from left to right horizontally. The areas to the right of the tint name are designated in volumes that equal a fluid ounce then 48ths of a fl. oz. then 96ths of a fl. oz. then 192ths of a fl. oz. and finally 384ths of a fl. oz.

The gallon tint formula calls for adding 3/48ths of a fluid ounce of Tint F then 6/48ths of a fl. oz. of tint C and finally 10/48ths of a fl. oz. of tint I.

To convert this tint formula to make a quart instead of a gallon we simply divide the tint volumes by 4 since there are 4 quarts per gallon.

Instead of using 3/48ths of an oz. (this always means by volume and not weight) of tint F we divide 3 by 4 which equals 0.75/48ths of an oz. At most stores tints can only be added in integer amounts so to add a fraction we must use in integer of a smaller unit. 1/96th of an oz. is the same a 0.5/48ths of an oz and 1/192th oz. is the same as 0.25/48ths oz. so we can get 0.75/48ths of an oz. by using 1/96th + 1/192th oz. of tint.

The same holds true for the other two tints. 6 divided by 4 = 1.5 and 10 divided by 4 = 2.5.

I know this can be a brain-twister, if you still don't understand it just let me know and I'll try to break it down so it's clearer.

#5 ·
I understand what they are detailing now. Thank you for the information. And thanks again for the correct 1 quart formula for the Bermuda Beige. I have the AAA headed toward the house and plan on repainting the screen this weekend. Hope everything goes right.

#6 ·
Okay, I went to Menards today and tried to get the Bermuda Biege quart paint mix that you recommended. They said they could match the Grand Distinct Flat and match the colorants as you told me. I am attaching a picture of the top of the quart can. They told me that the computer will not display the Bermuda Beige 427-2 number. I do believe the Menards employees are ignorant and dont want to even try to help me. My question is this. Is this going to work?

Thank you for the input

Attachments

#8 ·
I am just going to post my question here in regards to my BW paint mix.
I just mixed and rolled my first coating on my wall, a 92 screen.

However, when I mixed the Valspar paint and AAA-F, I got a beige mixture, not a grey one. Did I not mix the two enough or there was something wrong with he paint I got from Lowes?

Id be glad to send you samples if you guys want.

Mind you, the image on the screen looks awesome.

#9 ·
Could you post a photo of the tint label from your Valspar can? It is certainly possible they messed up getting the color right, but it hasnt happened often. Something that concerns me is that this is the 2nd case of a Valspar mis-tint in a short period of time... Im beginning to wonder if Valspar didnt get a glitch in their tinting code database. Paint store databases are updated regularly so this could happen.

While it is possible that the AAA-F wasnt stirred in well enough, its kind of unlikely since it is a thinner paint that the Valspar base paint. If in doubt always stir it some more. By far the best way to stir paint is with a squirrel cage type stirrer attached to a hand drill, but even a kitchen egg beater mixer will work if used on the slowest setting.

After you are sure the mix has been stirred well, feel free to send Mech or myself a sample of it to measure for color. Just PM either of us for our address.

#10 ·
Hi. Here the pics of the label and the mix that I did. As you can see, there is some splash of AAA-F on the side of the can I used.

I will mix them some before I put on the final coat. I did use a mixer I got from Lowe's. I will pm you later for your addresa to send a sample of my mix.

Label

Arch Architecture Ceiling Stairs Plaster

#13 ·
Hi. Here the pics of the label and the mix that I did. As you can see, there is some splash of AAA-F on the side of the can I used.

I will mix them some before I put on the final coat. I did use a mixer I got from Lowe's. I will pm you later for your addresa to send a sample of my mix.

I added 2 4oz bottles of the AAA. I even added a little bit of water in he bottle to get as much AAA out.

I used a mixer that I attached to a drill. It is like a fan of short and long plastic blades. I stirred the mixture up again for a good 15 mins and still no change in colour.

I might have to re-paint it in a few months. But, the picture I am having still looks good.
It's hard to get reliable color data from a photograph, but it sure seems like the Valspar wasn't tinted correctly even though the lable says it should be PPG 'Bermuda Beige' 427-2. I'll check into this and have a sample tinted to your formula.

Glad you're liking your screen, but it'll be even better when it's a neutral gray. ;)

Awaiting you PM. :T

#11 ·
Could be one of several different things:
  • not mixed properly
  • incorrect tinting
  • not enough AAA

The tint looks correct to me though I don't have the values for a quart handy. Are you using a squirrel cage mixer attached to a drill? How much AAA did you add to the quart of paint?

#12 ·
I added 2 4oz bottles of the AAA. I even added a little bit of water in he bottle to get as much AAA out.

I used a mixer that I attached to a drill. It is like a fan of short and long plastic blades. I stirred the mixture up again for a good 15 mins and still no change in colour.

I might have to re-paint it in a few months. But, the picture I am having still looks good.

#14 ·
I'm quite disappointed too that I didn't get the correct mix but for now, this screen will do. I don't think I will have enough time to get everything for a new mix of BW. I just want to have a big screen when the NHL playoffs start. I'm a big Vancouver Canucks fan. :)

Please check your pm.

#15 ·
Thank you for the reply. I didn't get my AAA in the mail yet but plan on getting it today. Seeing the post from "olwe" the other day has be wondering if I should even repaint my screen. It sounds as though he was getting basically the same color after mixing as me. I saw the reply from "mechman" informing me that my new paint mix appears to be correct and thank you for that. The only Black Widow reference I can look at is on the computer and that really doesn't help because I have no idea if my monitor is calibrated correctly.

My question is:

Taking my new quart of paint shown in my previous post and mixing it with 8 oz Auto Air Aluminum 4101 (two 4 oz bottles), will this work? With the paint turn grey? Is there anyway to print something out for a reference comparison? I am having my doubts now and don't want to waste anymore money on paint. I really need a DIY screen that will work well in ambient light.

I appreciate the help.

Thank you

#17 ·
My question is:

Taking my new quart of paint shown in my previous post and mixing it with 8 oz Auto Air Aluminum 4101 (two 4 oz bottles), will this work? With the paint turn grey? Is there anyway to print something out for a reference comparison? I am having my doubts now and don't want to waste anymore money on paint. I really need a DIY screen that will work well in ambient light.

I appreciate the help.

Thank you
Yes. It should work and the paint should result in a neutral gray.

#20 ·
Just a thought. Could it be the base paint itself is the culprit in my screwed up BW mix? I used the primer + primer from Valspar.
While it may be remotely possible I doubt that is the case.

I had an 8 oz. sample of Valspar made to your tint formula, will be testing that out and have the results in a day or two.

And Don, I will be sending you samples soon.
:T

#25 ·
Here is my new quart of Behr paint. Hopefully the tint is perfect for BW.

Don, I will also send you a copy of this as well before I mix in the AAA that I have to order again.

Thanks.

Edit: Sigh.. Looks like the wrong formula again after reading previous threads. Another $12 wasted.
Let's not give up hope just yet. ;)

We haven't used Behr paints in some time and it seems they have changed the tint codes used in their paints so I really can't tell from that formula if the color is right or not. The next time I get to my "local" Home Depot (it's 35 miles away) I'll check into this.

In the mean time, I just measured the test chits of the 8 oz. Valspar sample I got made to your tint formula below and for a BW™ test made with it. While the BW™ sample didn't appear as pink as yours it was still way off color. I'm looking forward to getting your samples for comparison.

Could you post a photo of the bar code panel of your AAA-F? Just want to make sure everything is copacetic there.

#26 ·
Alright guys.....Today was the first time in weeks I had time to work on my screen. I used the quart of paint I posted earlier the same paint I was told would be correct, mixed with two 4-oz AAA-F. Well its still beige!!! Its not grey not even a little. I am getting frustrated and really just thinking of quitng the whole project. Help please. What must I do. Can I purchase another AAA-F and throw it in there? I need answers.

Thanks

#27 ·
OK, this is the second time (third time really since this is your second attempt) in the last few weeks that folks have had this problem. Something is wrong and we're going to find out what it is! The last base paint you got SHOULD have worked just fine, it was the correct paint number and the correct tint formula. I'm now beginning to wonder if the AAA-F is at fault. I will call Createx tomorrow to see if they have changed this paint in any way recently. Until then please compare your bottles of AAA-F to the photos below and let us know if there are any differences. If there are please post some photos of your bottle.

I don't blame you for being frustrated at this point... maybe even a bit tiffed... maybe even a bit angry.
Adding more AAA-F might get the color right (but it's a gamble), but the mix reflectance would be too high.

Front label of Auto Air Aluminum (fine). Note the "Series 4100" that is underlined in red.

UPC area of the bottle. Note the "4101" inside the red rectangle and the "ALUMINUM BASE (FINE)" on the label.

#28 ·
My bottle is a little different in terms of the label but I believe the numbers are correct. Here are my two photos.

Product Spray Material property Tire Room

Product Material property Technology Magenta Label

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks for the help. I have a birthday party for my son here in two weeks and really wanted to get the theater done for him and his friends.:hissyfit:

#30 ·
Thanks for the photos of your AAA-F bottles guys! :T They do have the right numbers so everything should be working. :scratch:

I'm not concerned about the slight labeling differences since the UPC info matches. I also now have the lot numbers to give to Createx to find out what's going on.

I'll also do more testing on several other paints I had made to match PPG 'Bermuda Beige' and also against a knows BB paint that worked well to make BW™.

I'm truly sorry about this guys. As soon as I know anything more I'll post it in this thread.

#31 ·
This is probably a stupid question but the paint people at Menards gave me a wierd look when I asked them for "PPG Bermuda Beige". They asked me what the PPG stands for and I couldn't tell them either. I thought it was Pittsburgh Paint something. What does it mean? And could that be the problem? I doubt it since you guys seen my paint numbers and said they would work. I guess my question is, what does PPG stand for?

Thank you and looking forward in hearing back from you. I plan on attempting this one more time as soon as I hear back.:dontknow:

#32 ·
This is probably a stupid question but the paint people at Menards gave me a wierd look when I asked them for "PPG Bermuda Beige". They asked me what the PPG stands for and I couldn't tell them either. I thought it was Pittsburgh Paint something. What does it mean? And could that be the problem? I doubt it since you guys seen my paint numbers and said they would work. I guess my question is, what does PPG stand for?
That's not a stupid question at all! Menards sells PPG paint and the employees in the paint department don't know what PPG stands for? :unbelievable: :doh: While it doesn't say what PPG stands for, the name PPG is on Menards Grand Distinction webpage!!! http://menards.pittsburghpaints.com/color-collections/colornow.aspx

PPG means Pittsburgh Paint & Glass although they go more by simply PPG Industries nowadays.

Thank you and looking forward in hearing back from you. I plan on attempting this one more time as soon as I hear back.:dontknow:
I don't have a Menards anywhere near me so I've asked Mech to get a quart of paint matching your last one from Menards for testing. Don't know if he will have time to do it, he's one of the busiest people I know. I'll be testing with numerous Valspar paints and an older Behr paint all tinted to BB.

FYI, Sherwin-Williams 'Modestly Peach' is another color that will work to make BW™ with since it is practically identical to PPG 'Bermuda Beige'. That still leaves us with the question whether or not the AAA-F is at fault or not.

#34 ·
I can confirm the Menards tint as being correct. I did notice that it says pastel though on the picture above. Did you get the Pastel base? I got the flat enamel base. In the BW™ thread, the picture of the gallon of Grand Distinction states Flat. But I checked and it is actually Flat Enamel base. No time to check the color today. I will mix it up and check tomorrow. :T

#35 ·
mechman:

First thank you for looking into this and you guys not leaving me out to dry, I appreciate all the information you guys give me. You confirmed that my Menards paint I posted earlier was correct, okay that's good. My quart did have pastel on the label but so did the gallon of Bermuda beige I pulled off one of the other Black Widow threads. The picture below is the gallon of Bermuda Beige I pulled from another Home Theater Shack Thread. It says its from Apple Valley Menards, Pittsburg Paint, Grand Distinct Flat and then further down it says Pastel right above Bermuda Beige 427-2.

Label Rim Metal

Is this really going to make a difference in how the color turns out?

Below is my quart of Bermuda Beige Mix:

Product Technology Washing machine Major appliance Rim

Getting a little more confused but I hope you guys can set me straight and I can get this screen up for the birthday party. I am thinking of purchasing more AAA-F and putting it in the mix I made yesterday to grey it up, but every time I think about doing that I ask my self how do I now when its grey enough. I am a Mechanical Engineer and I like to follow formulas and equations to the tee, so I will just wait for the experienced paint mixing professionals to help me out.

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.