Newbie to DIY Screens. Please help! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 2 Old 07-12-13, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Newbie to DIY Screens. Please help!

Okay guys, Log time audiophile/videophile, first time screen DIY'er.

First off, thanks for the mass of knowledge brought to the public via this forum and for sharing a free guide for the DIY'er! The Stickies/DIY mechman & others have posted are very impressive/informational and much better than some other sites I've found. I just stumbled upon this site today, and thus have been reading ever sense discovering it.

With our new house (first time home-owner as of 12 days ago, woot woot!) we have decided to do a movie room out of one of the bedrooms. So anyhow, I had a couple of questions to get started, so here we go.

Room:
~16x22 (doorway on short wall to the side, projector will be on remaining space of wall)
Beige/Light Yellow walls (don't want to repaint as of now, but know it would be best to)
2 sliding door windows, with decent curtain coverage over them (not full blackout)
Bedroom faces east, so afternoon sun isn't terrible, but light can still come in through the 1 sliding glass door
2 couches (probably do stadium risers for rear couch, and may reorganized based on sporting events)

Drawing below for reference, not to exact scale, but good example of the room.

Projector:
BenQ 1070 (would like to keep on eco-mode as much as possible, if reasonable)
I saw this post relating to lumen brightness of the 1070: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post599557
but wasn't quite sure how to correlate it to my application entirely.

Screen Size:
110" diagonal (due to wall space and front floor standing speaker placement)
Main couch probably 13-14' from screen

Throw Distance: around 11-12', still to be determined. There is a horizontal roof support in the room which prevents the projector being at the ideal 9-10ft distance.

Screen Material
Sintra board with a 3" black felt border (going to have a 5'x10' cut down to my specification & probably do the rope lighting trick on the back recessed for a screen presence)

Paint Application: I was planning on using a wagner control sprayer to paint the board myself. From what I've read, although possibly only marginally better, the spray technique results in the best finished product.

Questions:
A) I am looking at 1/8" untreated white sintra board, but am curious what paint or paint mixture would be recommended given my room and a mixed used projector (mostly movies, TV, & sports, possibly some 3D video as well). Very little ambient light during movies, moderate to fair during sports for football with friends & entertaining etc.

B) Any major changes or recommendations you could make based on the equipment/placement/material or other factors I should consider before going forward?

Thanks so much for your help & assistance. I've read through a lot of the forum posting, but there is A LOT of content on here and it's hard to absorb it all at once. Also pretty surprising the stark difference in recommendation and information from varying sources. I'm just trying to be come better educated about the information and make the most logical step forward to the best end result. [/quote]

Last edited by mbgt72; 07-12-13 at 02:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-13-13, 05:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System
Re: Newbie to DIY Screens. Please help!

Quote:
mbgt72 wrote: View Post

Questions:
A) I am looking at 1/8" untreated white sintra board, but am curious what paint or paint mixture would be recommended given my room and a mixed used projector (mostly movies, TV, & sports, possibly some 3D video as well). Very little ambient light during movies, moderate to fair during sports for football with friends & entertaining etc.

B) Any major changes or recommendations you could make based on the equipment/placement/material or other factors I should consider before going forward?

Thanks so much for your help & assistance. I've read through a lot of the forum posting, but there is A LOT of content on here and it's hard to absorb it all at once. Also pretty surprising the stark difference in recommendation and information from varying sources. I'm just trying to be come better educated about the information and make the most logical step forward to the best end result.
A. Go with an OTS neutral gray. I'd recommend Glidden Veil in a flat (for Glidden paint) or matte (for Valspar and most other paint brands) finish. You could go with Black Widow Ultra™ too if you really wanted to.

B Honestly? Nope. Looks like you've done the homework!

Welcome to HTS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.