Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

New Build - The Mini J Two-way Bookshelf Speakers (and they're purple)

24K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Owen Bartley 
#1 ·
Hey everybody, it's been a while since I've posted anything on the forum so I decided to share my most recent speaker project. This was a really quick project, from concept to design to final build was less than two weeks so I didn't have a lot of time to bounce ideas off of my fellow speaker builders. Forgive me for not allowing everyone to share in the creative process of DIY. I know that's half the fun! Nonetheless, I also know everyone loves build pics and I took a whole bunch. In summary this is basically an inexpensive 2-way bookshelf speaker made with a Dayton Audio Designer Series 5" woofer and Vifa DX25TG59 1" dome tweeter. Cabinet is about 5L tuned to 51 Hz. They were a birthday present for my daughter so without telling her what I was making her I had her pick out a color she liked for "something" I was making her and they ended up dark purple! Needless to say, my first purple speaker. Anyway, they turned out great and sound fantastic, to me. I used a lot of the typical free modeling tools out there for box volume calculation (Unibox), crossover design (PCD7) and of course REW for measurement! What ever would I do without all these great speaker building tools?

And with that, I'll let the pics do the talking. Enjoy!

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks super :) Well done!

I wonder if you could fix some of the raggedness and peaking in the midrange response by countersinking the woofer as well, along with a rear chamfer for better airflow. Doesn't look like the poor guy has any room to breathe back there.

You would lose the overlap, but with such a high crossover point I'm guessing you will still get accurate summing.

However, it would mean a rework and that is probably not a good thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.