Loudspeaker Design Cookbook on sale - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 19 Old 08-09-06, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Loudspeaker Design Cookbook on sale

The bible for DIY is on sale at Madisound for $11.. well, the just outdated version is at least.

But still, a great price on a great book.

Cookbook Link

JCD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-09-06, 12:43 PM
Senior Shackster

MrPorterhouse

Re: Loudspeaker Design Cookbook on sale

Oh, thanks for the link. That is an excellent resource and a great supplement to the forums, especially for newbies to get started and veterans to sharpen their craft.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-17-06, 10:44 AM
plincoln
Inactive

nice tip...can't beat that price
post #4 of 19 Old 08-17-06, 02:23 PM
mmoeller
Inactive

You know what is new in the 7th edition??
post #5 of 19 Old 08-17-06, 03:36 PM
Shackster

Jim

Thanks JCD,
I'm looking at doing some DIY in the near future, so this will come in handy...

Jim

"Relax. Don't worry. Have a Homebrew."
Charlie Papazian
post #6 of 19 Old 08-17-06, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Quote:
mmoeller wrote: View Post
You know what is new in the 7th edition??
Someone told me that the The 7th edition is 42 pages longer. Its got a new chapter 6; a study of loudspeaker baffles, driver locations and seperation. There's also a CD that you can send for (its free with the purchase of the book) that has something like 100 more graphs and a bunch of stuff that completes some of the sections in the book, and some pretty neat design software, nothing high tech and worth thousands, but its something to play with. Theres a box design, crossover network, SPL calculator, a conversion table.

JCD
post #7 of 19 Old 09-06-06, 10:35 AM

Aaron

Quote:
JCD wrote: View Post
There's also a CD that you can send for (its free with the purchase of the book) that has something like 100 more graphs and a bunch of stuff that completes some of the sections in the book, and some pretty neat design software, nothing high tech and worth thousands, but its something to play with. Theres a box design, crossover network, SPL calculator, a conversion table.[/I]
JCD
I just got my CD in the mail yesterday; I'm looking forward to checking it out tonight. I'll try to post my impressions when I have had a chance to use the tools.
post #8 of 19 Old 09-07-06, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Well, I'm curious as to how it works out.. and what tools it actually gives you.

JCD
post #9 of 19 Old 09-09-06, 12:34 AM

Aaron

Well, I haven't really spent much time using the tools in the LDC 7 companion CD, but I'll give what info I can. The tools are just different worksheets in the same Excel spreadsheet, so I'll give a quick explanation of each one. Each worksheet is similar - you put data in the "input parameters" section, and you get out some other data.

Driver Performance: Compare the performance of 5 drivers
Inputs: Speaker parameters (Sd, Re, Fs, Qts, RMS Power, etc.), Box information (Sealed box size, fill %, vented box size, vent diameter).
Outputs: Calculated speaker parameters (Qes, Cms, Mms, SPL, etc.), Sealed Box Performance (Vb, Fc, F3, SPL), Vented Box Performance (Vb, F3, Fb, vent length, etc.)

Sd & Disp Vol: Compare displacement of different sized drivers
Inputs: Outer diameter of driver (outside roll), roll size, Sd.
Outputs: Basket dimensions, displacement of speaker (volume of the speaker, not swept volume).

Measurement Tools: Calculations for measuring driver parameters
Inputs: Measured values (Re, Sd, Fs, Fs in box, etc)
Outputs: Q values, Mms, Cms, BL, etc.

Enclosure Tools: Calculate enclosure size, etc.
Inputs: Final volume, driver displacement volume, material thickness, baffle size, vent dimensions, etc.
Outputs: Size of other boards (other than baffle) for rectangular and trapezoidal enclosures, vent displacement volume and vent tuning frequency.

2 way Crossover Tools: Calculate component values for 2-way crossovers
Inputs: Crossover frequency, high/low resistance, zeta for first order series.
Outputs: L/C values for First Order Butterworth, Second Order Linkwitz Riley, Second Order Butterworth, First Order Butterworth - Series, Second Order Bessel, Third Order Butterworth, Third Order Butterworth - Series, Fourth Order Butterworth, Fourth Order Linkwitz -Riley, Fourth Order Bessel, Fourth Order Gaussian, Fourth Order Linear Phase, plus dB at crossover frequency and polarity for each filter.

3 way Crossover Tools: Calculate component values for 3-way crossovers
Inputs (1st/2nd order xovers): Crossover Frequency Low, Crossover Frequency High, High Resistance, Mid Resistance, Low Resistance.
Outputs (1st/2nd order xovers): Midpoint frequency, spread, polarity and L/C values for First Order Butterworth and Second Order Linkwitz-Riley filters.
Inputs (3rd/4th order xovers): Crossover Frequency Low, High Resistance, Mid Resistance, Low Resistance
Outputs (3rd/4th order xovers): Bandpass Gain, High Frequency, Midpoint Frequency, Polarity, and L/C values for the following filter types: Third Order APC (Spread = 8), Third Order APC (Spread =10), Third Order Butterworth (Spread = 8), Third Order Butterworth (Spread =10), Fourth Order Linkwitz-Riley (Spread = 8), Fourth Order Linkwitz-Riley (Spread = 10).

Other Crossover Tools: Calculators for other crossover types
Inputs: Different for each crossover type: frequency information, resistance, etc.
Outputs: Component values / behavior for crossovers: Zobel, R-L Contour, RLC Notch, Lpad, R-C Contour, Series Notch. Also includes an inductor designer (input DCR/inductance, get # turns, height, wire gauge, etc.)

Acoustic Tools:
Calculate room modes from room dimensions, voltage -> dB converter, xmax -> SPL converter, multiple driver Re/sensitivity calculator.

Conversions:
A gazillion unit conversions.

The CD also has a ton of additional figures for both LDC6 (the diffraction study) and LDC7.

In my quickly formed opinion, these seem to be more handy calculators than a "design suite," as it is named. Nonetheless, it's nice to have all these calculators together; I especially liked the crossover calculators, they're easy to use and give a lot of info.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-11-06, 10:09 AM

Aaron

You can get the design software from the LDC7 CD for free, even if you didn't buy the book. Details at http://ldcdiy.com/software.html.