I.S.C.T - Rather calling it a Speaker Display Platform then just a .... - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #1 of 13 Old 06-10-16, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
UpperCut

I.S.C.T - Rather calling it a Speaker Display Platform then just a ....

In a previous thread http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...x-project.html I was mentioning that I was building a speaker stand for that particular project and I had shown some Images as well. Since I have changed my mind addressing the DIY Multi Purpose Heavy Duty Speaker Stands, but after seen a few very-very nice creative sets on here and other forums I think my description to my own idea was wrong in that thread as these which I saw were all really Speaker Stands yet to my own thinking, and what I was really looking for should have been in its description called - DIY Multi Purpose Heavy Duty Speaker Display Platform - so not so much Speaker Stands simple because my own idea was pointing more towards a Multi Purpose & Heavy Duty set up allowing me to, and as said in that thread as well for the use within different applications.

Anyway, I think the attached Images will start to clarify that point quiet well.

So for me personally it will be from now on that I address these as Speaker Display Platforms rather then Speaker Stands as truly I think that would be a so much better & by far more precise & detailed description once you can see the completed project and its uses.

rgs UpperCut
Attached Thumbnails
I.S.C.T - Rather calling it a Speaker Display Platform then just a ....-picture-329a.jpg  

I.S.C.T - Rather calling it a Speaker Display Platform then just a ....-picture-331a.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-13-16, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
UpperCut

Re: I.S.C.T - Rather calling it a Speaker Display Platform then just a ....

A few new Images of items in this project! (Locking 0 & 15 degree - R/H side Foot Section).

rgs UpperCut
Attached Thumbnails
I.S.C.T - Rather calling it a Speaker Display Platform then just a ....-picture-335a.jpg  

I.S.C.T - Rather calling it a Speaker Display Platform then just a ....-picture-342a.jpg  

I.S.C.T - Rather calling it a Speaker Display Platform then just a ....-picture-341a.jpg  

I.S.C.T - Rather calling it a Speaker Display Platform then just a ....-picture-343a.jpg  

I.S.C.T - Rather calling it a Speaker Display Platform then just a ....-picture-344a.jpg  

post #3 of 13 Old 06-22-16, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
UpperCut

Hi there,

Getting there bit by bit! A lot of work in this project to get it squared up and pefectly right.

rgs UpperCut
Attached Thumbnails
I.S.C.T - Rather calling it a Speaker Display Platform then just a ....-picture-360a.jpg  

I.S.C.T - Rather calling it a Speaker Display Platform then just a ....-picture-367a.jpg  

I.S.C.T - Rather calling it a Speaker Display Platform then just a ....-picture-369a.jpg  

post #4 of 13 Old 07-29-16, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
UpperCut

Hi there again,

First fitting today and final measuring up to cover the main mild steel guide tube with charcoal Vinyl covering just like the distance pieces between the main inner supports!

rgs UpperCut
Attached Thumbnails
I.S.C.T - Rather calling it a Speaker Display Platform then just a ....-picture-442a.jpg  

post #5 of 13 Old 07-31-16, 12:57 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Very nice, I can't wait to see the finished product with the speaker on it!
post #6 of 13 Old 07-31-16, 08:02 PM
Shackster

UreiCollector

Very nice looking work! Are you doing anything special on the "end grain" to help the finish look even? I've heard of people using sheetrock joint compound, but i didn't have good success with it myself. I notice a bit of density increase on the faces of the MDF, and slightly less dense near the middle...it tends to show through a bit. Any advice?

Frederick
post #7 of 13 Old 07-31-16, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
UpperCut

Quote:
UreiCollector wrote: View Post
Very nice looking work! Are you doing anything special on the "end grain" to help the finish look even? I've heard of people using sheetrock joint compound, but i didn't have good success with it myself. I notice a bit of density increase on the faces of the MDF, and slightly less dense near the middle...it tends to show through a bit. Any advice?

Hi there,

Sorry do not know 'sheetrock' down here in NZ. I myself router cut the MDF pieces then sand them (never use any other then 80 grid on my machines or by hand as I found that this grid is the best for the primer coats to absorb (I use a lot of coversheets MDF as well as 1st grade MDF and what they call it off grade which is more reasonable) again I found the differences in density helpful to brake up enclosure resonance.

Now I use a normal anti bacterial inside & outside primer and let that sock in well! after one or two coats I fill and attend to areas which needed attention (Sanding, Filling, Sanding .......many times over), and after that I use about 4 to 5 coats of primer (I use a spray gun set up) once I can't see any bad areas any longer I give it a light coat of my colour and see if I can find more bad areas. Fill again, repair and sand ........... etc. next coat & so on ........ I use about 7 coats of colour or just enough until it is quiet perfect and most of all I'm happy with it.

MDF can be a lot of work, but if you persevere you will get brilliant results!

rgs UpperCut
UreiCollector likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-19-16, 11:04 AM
Shackster

UreiCollector

Thank you for the advice!

Frederick
post #9 of 13 Old 09-21-16, 01:19 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Still waiting to see pics with the speakers on it! Looking great.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-21-16, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
UpperCut

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
Still waiting to see pics with the speakers on it! Looking great.
Hi, thanks for your interest - I only a couple of days ago started again to work on it! Winter time here in NZ was not good at all for any painting etc. so it is not forgotten or didcarded just had to wait!

rgs UpperCut