Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Another Newbie!!!

Tags
newbie!!!
4K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  shops2k 
#1 ·
First of all I would like to say hi to everyone. I found this forum a couple of weeks ago while researching the idea of building a pair of front speakers for my home theater system. (This is really some way to keep my sanity throughout the winter here in Ottawa Canada.) I am looking for some information on how to calculate enclosure (ported) volumes when 2 woofers are being used. Would you do the calculations for one and just double the values. Any help would go a long way in maintaining my sanity...Thanx:scratchhead:

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Jacen,
I haven't made any since I was a teen, some 35 yrs ago. I do have winISD installed and a few other free software"s installed, I just haven't solved them completely yet. (trying to take a shortcut). I'm planning to build a pair of front main speakers TMWW for my little home theater (ONKYO) that will also be fairly good for listening to music in 2ch mode. I had another question, when wiring the woofers together after the crossover should it be parallel or series ( i'm going with prefab x-overs this time) Thanks again for any help you can provide. Mark:ponder:

#6 ·
Thanks again Jacen, I saw a similar write up on wiring on another diy site My problem is most of the articles seem to be dealing with automotive use connecting speakers directly to an amp not from a crossover within an enclosure. I think I've got a handle on it now. Who knows my next post might be asking for help on how to glue grill cloth to some frames. Right now I'm breaking in the 4 woofers by running them on open baffles in my workshop connected to the base circuits of the crossovers. I'm up to 36 hours at low volume levels. I can't wait for the mids and tweeters to arrive so I can get down to building a test enclosure. I think for my first time (in ages) I will try sealed boxes and let my sub provide most of the low end, again this is mostly for home theater (plus the wife has to like the appearance). This design Is one I really liked that I saw on a diy site. The wife has approved!! I'll try to post some pictures throughout the project:reading: ..Mark Loudspeaker Audio equipment Electronics Subwoofer Sound box

#10 ·
Don't worry Kevin, I haven't blown the bank on these speakers. It's just a project to get me through till golfing starts again. On the other hand, why do all suppliers offer pre-fabbed crossovers if they are so bad? Maybe my next project will be to design my own. Right now it seemed a lot just for my home theater.:ponder:

#13 ·
Thanx Jeremy,
I do take pride in my woodworking..spent quite a few years in the industry. I just wired up the first one today and was running it at the shop with my old AKAI receiver. I'm quite impressed with the sound so far. I can't wait to get it home and listen to it on my Onkyo. So far my concerns for the little Tang band mid seem to be unfounded. Right now they are just rough cabinets, but I'm still going to dress them up like fine furniture...Mark:bigsmile:

#17 ·
Thanks for the nice comments guys. I just started to dress them up in solid cherry, but the work has really slowed down...I got hit with the flu and have been totally knocked out for the past few days. I'll try to post some pics of the process. The crossovers were prefabs by Phillips:ADF6/5SP 3-way medium power 600 / 5,000hz, 8 ohms 100w / 200w 6/ 6/ 12 slope per octave low mid high. The drivers are economical
Goldwood 6.5" woofers #GW-6PC-8 , Tang band 3" mid #W3-881SJ, 1" Dayton tweeters #DC25T-8. We have been walloped again with another cold blast for the past week with temps in the -18 to -30 C range with windchill. It seems like spring has given up on us this year. I can't wait to golf again.

Mark:sad2::crying:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.