Foobar Active Digital Crossover - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 27 Old 04-01-09, 11:09 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Re: Foobar Active Digital Crossover

I mean yeah I'm running analog outputs from the pc to the amplifiers, one plays say, 75hz and down and the other plays 75hz and up. I'm not running any external inputs into the soundcard, but it can be done. I am just using the PC to play back the audio so I do not have to have a cd player or anything else actually going into the pc.

The way I currently have it set up outputs 0/1 (front left and front right analog) send the stereo signal 75hz and up. Outputs 2/3 (rear left and rear right analog) are downmixed to mono, then lowpassed at 75hz. Both of these are 4th order slopes.

I have been pointed to a few other pieces of software that can do the same thing and dont seem to be sound card specific.

Check these out.
How To, PC as a Crossover.

PC Crossover DSP Software
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 04-02-09, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

pete

Music is stored on the hard drive or played back via cd rom. The signal is broken into sections like tweeter signal, midrange, and bass for each necessary channel. Digital room correction such as what is available on this site is applied as well as other wanted effects. Then the digital to analog conversion is applied and sent out of the computer through the multichannel sound card. For example a three way speaker system would need 6 channels to exit the computer and would only render a stereo setup- no surround. This signal is sent to a multichannel preamp (6 channel) and then to 6 separate amplifiers. The D to A conversion is done only once inside the sound card. (preferably a good one) The sound this yields has to be heard to be believed. (when done properly) Sadly, I still can't figure out a good option for playing back DVD's. Let me know if you figure something out.
post #23 of 27 Old 04-02-09, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

pete

Thanks a lot for this. It seems this will allow play back of dvd going through crossover?
post #24 of 27 Old 04-02-09, 09:26 AM
Senior Shackster

Matt

The frequency allocator software seems like it would handle dvd playback. However you would have to have a way to delay the video to match the audio. I'm sure there is something out there but I haven't been into video stuff in a while, also yes if you wanted something like 5.1 with each speaker being a 2 way then you would need probably 2 soundcards because I don't know of any out there with more than 6 stereo out puts off of the top of my head. But multiple soundcards is doable as far as I can tell.
post #25 of 27 Old 04-02-09, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

pete

I've been reading up on the links you provided. It looks like it is possible. I think I will have to buy the software though. No big deal.

I'm pretty sure that zoomplayer will do video delay. Actually, I know they do. This should get me there. Just have to work it out.
post #26 of 27 Old 10-07-09, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

pete

just wanted to finish this thread by stating that the thuneau does work with movies. I didn't even have to use a video delay. My computer was fast enough. I had to use the optical out from one soundcard to go into the optical on the other sound card. then into the thuneau program doing the crossover functions. This worked perfectly!
post #27 of 27 Old 10-09-09, 12:05 AM
Senior Shackster

Matt

I'm glad you followed up on this old thread. I'm still using the special KXdrivers for my Soundblaster Audigy 2. But its nice to know that if I get around to getting a nicer, higher quality sound card that there are non-soundcard specific alternatives available that people have tried and know work.