Altec 416 8A box requirements? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Speakers
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 17711 - Replies: 21  
Old 08-26-09, 01:24 PM   #11

DonN
Since: Aug 2009
Healdsburg, CA
Re: Altec 416 8A box requirements?

These woofers were once used in the Voice of the Theater speakers. They were my first DIY speakers. I had the 16 ohm versions including the 511B horns and 802 drivers. I later built two more pair using the 8 ohm drivers for a neighbor to use with his band. I think I may still have a copy of the plans that includes other cabinets Altec made that used these woofers. I'll check.
Don

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-09, 02:40 PM   #12
GPM
Senior Shackster

GM
Since: Jan 2007
Chamblee, Ga.

FYI, for some factory plans/suggestions: http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...ltec-plans.htm

If you can add any, it would be much appreciated since AFAIK EV destroyed all the plant's records after the buyout except for then current products.
GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Old 08-26-09, 04:07 PM   #13

DonN
Healdsburg, CA

The plans I have are from the 1968 manual listed on the site you referenced.
The copy I scanned of the Altec 861 is clearer than what is shown on the link you provided. See:
http://woodartistry.com/external/Altec/Altec1.jpg
I think this design meets the requested specifications.
Don

Old 08-29-09, 03:01 PM   #14
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Michael
Since: Nov 2006
Chesapeake Virginia

The actual, original box dimensions for the voice of the theater studio monitors was H 4Ft W 3Ft D 2.5 Ft according to my measuring tape...

Old 08-29-09, 03:22 PM   #15
GPM
Senior Shackster

GM
Chamblee, Ga.

Quote:
dnaples wrote: View Post
The plans I have are from the 1968 manual listed on the site you referenced.

I think this design meets the requested specifications.
Don
Ah! Yeah, that's not the best of scans. I have the original, but have never gotten around to scanning it.

I believe this cab would need to be tuned lower for corner loading and for sure much better constructed for best performance.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Old 08-29-09, 03:31 PM   #16
GPM
Senior Shackster

GM
Chamblee, Ga.

Quote:
buggers wrote: View Post
The actual, original box dimensions for the voice of the theater studio monitors was H 4Ft W 3Ft D 2.5 Ft according to my measuring tape...
Interesting, which model are you referring to? The largest Altec studio monitors I'm aware of is the bit smaller 9848, though AFAIK it wasn't marketed as a VOTT studio monitor.

GM

Old 08-29-09, 09:12 PM   #17

DonN
Healdsburg, CA

Quote:
buggers wrote: View Post
You are close with your measurement estimates.
The drawing I posted is in response to the original request for a vented enclosure that could be used with the 416A woofer. This is not the VOTT drawings. The VOTT speakers are 42" x 30" x 24" but had two configurations. One was with the 511B horn on top (I made mine enclosing the top mounted horn, so they were taller). The other was with the speaker turned upside down and putting the horn in the port (with one panel removed to compensate for the space the horn displaces). For such a large bass reflex speaker, you would think the bass would be good. It was muddy, and the horns ring. Taping the horns did help some.

I next moved to making some JBL-S8 Studio Monitors that were much smaller and had much cleaner bass. These were the same drivers JBL used in the Paragon speaker system. With a passive radiator added, these were the Olympus and Sovereign speakers. (I still have these plans as well) I prefered the vented enclosure. JBL later made them available as a commercial speaker. I don't recall the model but a less expensive version that was close was the L-200. It used less expensive drivers but had the same cabinet.

Old 09-23-09, 07:44 PM   #18
Shackster

Jean
france

Hello,
i just saw this thread and i want to give an advice based on personal experience. A perfect enclosure for the Altec 416 is the Onken enclosure, which i've been using since 1984 and IMO has not been outdated.
The response is very flat and goes down to 40 hz easily. You can see a measurement i published in the REW forum one week or two under the name of Jean ( http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...asurement.html) = look at the second graph, the first one is not well made. . It's a Japanese design and is very popular in France. The magazine "l'Audiophile" directed by Jean Hiraga introduced it and published plans. Here are a photo and the first article. If you have trouble reading french, i can help you, but the plan is clear enough, use 25mm good plywood. Big and heavy, but very subtle, not for a PA system.
Best egards,
jean.

Attachments

Attachments
File Type: pdf Onken plan Audiophile1977-1.pdf (669.5 KB, 1704 views)

Old 09-24-09, 12:10 AM   #19
Shackster

Brian
Since: Dec 2006
Cranbrook BC Canada
I started this thread.

Hi Jean, that is exactly what I'm looking for! Fantastic! But, I don't read French
Did you build the enclosures in the photo! Very Nice indeed!
Thank you for your contribution.
The cabs I built are not working for me. I just bought a pair of 416-8Bs I was thinking of another attempt with a different driver but now this plan appears... I will look for a matched pair of 416-8As and build these. Is there a chance you would have the X/O schematic for the system including the horn tweeter?
Brian

Old 09-24-09, 12:48 AM   #20
GPM
Senior Shackster

GM
Chamblee, Ga.

??? Oh really?! It's way bigger than your limits listed here and more in line with what I was recommending: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post172192

GM

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Speakers »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »