Playing with the Fisher St-828's - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound XTZ Sound OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. DSP Axiom Audio

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Speakers
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 9238 - Replies: 29  
Old 10-16-09, 09:28 AM   #21
Senior Shackster

Matt
Since: Oct 2008
USA, Kansas City, MO
Re: Playing with the Fisher St-828's

Silicon can, as it offgasses while curing from what I have heard, but if you put it on and give it a few days to cure I believe it becomes completely inert. I could be wrong tho, if so someone please correct me. Tho if that is the case I'm sure you could do the same thing with latex based caulk.

I like the idea of the closed cell foam but sometimes getting it to conform around the edge of a circular hole, especially a very small one can be a bit tricky. Also when you are trying to get speakers flush mounted and are trying to be very exact how does one take into account the extra thickness added by the closed cell foam making the speaker stick out of the hole just a hair more?

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-09, 08:28 PM   #22

John
Since: Sep 2009
mississippi
I started this thread.

Well the UPS guy just showed up a few minutes ago with my new Cerwin Vega Tweeters .. So now the ST828 build is going to happen ... Now after a ton of measuring and figuring the old ST828 enclosures I am pretty sure I can make the tweets mids and 15 in woofers work just fine.. Basics are 15 inch CV woofers ( 5 inch CV mids ) and 3 inch CV tweets.. The tweets and the mids are closed back .. Leaving me a cabinet 27 inches tall by 12 inches deep by 17 inches wide.. Port is 2inches dia. by 4 inches long. Box volume is 3.18 .. tuned at about 45hz or close.. May play with the port a little ?? the drivers are the same size as the old fisher drivers .. I am using the CV crossovers as well.. they are 3 way.. I think it will work .. I have played with box and port calcs. before when I designed my 10inch pioneer ported under the seat box for my Ford Crewcab FX4.. Will see tommorrow , If my wife will allow me to work on them tommorrow I meant..

Old 10-16-09, 09:01 PM   #23

John
mississippi
I started this thread.

Here are the tweeters and the mids that are going in the fisher cabinets. along with the crossovers.. Just trying to decide about the fisher 15's still in the cabinets , they seem to be in better shape than the 15 inch CV's that I have.. The CV's nead refoaming .. but the fishers do not..

Attachments

Old 10-17-09, 08:08 PM   #24

John
mississippi
I started this thread.

They are built // The crossovers were mounted as were the tweeters and mids .. My old fishers sound great.. The cut off points are very smooth.. The tweeters are not the dome type that I wanted but money is a little tight The crossovers that we feared would sound bad actually sound really good .. Now I really want to build some speakers so I am thinking start with something simple like the rear surrounds... Also I still have to build my equipment rack..

Old 10-18-09, 12:29 PM   #25

John
mississippi
I started this thread.

Ok they are ugly bu they sound great

Attachments

Old 10-18-09, 12:38 PM   #26

John
mississippi
I started this thread.

I know the woofer looks like cr** but it sounds good.. Actually I have never be able to make those 15 inch woofers even begin to move .. I tried one time and got my Pioneer A/V reciever pretty loud and still nothing , they do vibrate a little bit ... Maybe one day I will build some better fronts but for now they sound great .. The RSVIDEO infinity that i rebuilt the surrounds is set to small on the A/V reciever and it works great since it is set to small it has no bass at all so it sounds good.. I did have to set the fishers to large and then this made the sub go to plus .. Which all sounds good ... the only thing i would change if I could afford them is maybe replacing the cv tweets that i bought with some ribbon tweets , the only problem with ribbon tweets is they are overpriced for what they are and the power handleing isn't very good

Old 10-18-09, 12:49 PM   #27

John
mississippi
I started this thread.

Would you set the front speakers to produce dialogue as well as the center since they are larger speakers ????

Old 10-19-09, 01:18 AM   #28
Yad
Senior Shackster

yad
Since: Oct 2009

hi everybody. Please, could you tell me where to buy FISHER STE 555 speaker system ?

Old 10-19-09, 02:52 AM   #29

John
mississippi
I started this thread.

I found fisher STE 5 Speakers

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DG%26um%3D1

Old 10-19-09, 10:41 AM   #30
Yad
Senior Shackster

yad
Since: Oct 2009

Geee ))) Thanks.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Speakers »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »