First time veneering! (African Bubinga on Klipsh) - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #11 of 20 Old 04-14-10, 01:31 PM
Senior Shackster
IT Guy
Re: First time veneering! (African Bubinga on Klipsh)

Spuddy wrote: View Post
7 layers, eh? I like the way you guys think

I'm done half of coat #4 right now, and I can say right now that it's gonna be at least 1 or 2 more, though not with a foam brush anymore- Somehow I've forgotten that my dad has a crazy good laquer spraying system for his custom cabinetry business, so I'm gonna see about teaching myself some to spray the finish on. I don't know how many coats that will equate to, but it should make for an awesome mirror-smooth finish if I can learn it correctly on the first or second try. We'll see what happens
Well that would explain it - I guess you inherited your veneering abilities!

Res non sententia.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 20 Old 04-15-10, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Ha, guess so To save on a lot of cleanup and waiting for my dad to be done with his gun, I decided to just get a can of spray polyurethane and give that a shot. I don't know how many layers this is the equivilent of, but we can all rest assured of poly's crassitude knowing that I emptied the entire 11.5 ounces in the can on top of the 4 thick layers of brushed on urethane applied prior

It's not completely shiny right now (I believe it dried slightly too quickly due to being in the sunlight while I sprayed it on) so I'm letting the cabinet sit and cure for a week, at which point I'll follow through with progressively finer wet sandings up to 2,000 grit, then finalize the surface transparency with some quality finishing polish. Sooo until then, I have a couple of other things I need to catch up on (like fiberglassing my car hood.. the DIY's just don't end!), and I'll be back in about a week with some finished speaker pictures
post #13 of 20 Old 04-20-10, 11:11 AM
Elite Shackster
My System

Very nice work, Spud! That will give your speakers a totally custom look!! Can't wait to see it after a few more coats of clear. Pretty much the more you do, the better it looks (within reason).

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter
post #14 of 20 Old 04-20-10, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks OJ, should be any day now- It smells completely cured at this point, so now I'm just waiting for the micro sandpaper I ordered on eBay to get here and I'll be all over it
post #15 of 20 Old 04-20-10, 07:10 PM

looking very good,,

if you spray outside try to move the unit into a cooler area for more set time,,

always use a good tack rag just prior a coat to assure no debris is left on the surface,,

post #16 of 20 Old 04-21-10, 08:21 AM
Senior Shackster

Very nice work..... with having access to a workshop and skills behind you like you do, you should think about building your own speakers.... there are lots of great designs, the Dynamic 4T's are sexy, especially if you go the way Dougie085 did with a curved cabinet.

Here is a link to his photobucket showing the pics... He modified the original design, which IMO is beautiful.

I'll bet if you sold those Polks, they would pay for the entire build and have speakers that rivaled ones costing $5000 or more...
post #17 of 20 Old 04-22-10, 10:45 PM
Be Mo

WOW, I love that bubinga. Absolutely beautiful! Very nice work.
post #18 of 20 Old 04-26-10, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again everyone for the ideas and compliments, and sorry about the wait on final pics- I was told 4-5 days shipping on eBay for my micro-grit sandpaper, so I figured ordering that way instead of going to the store would be the best way to make sure I have enough patience (I have a hard time looking at something that's getting sanded later and not just doing it NOW ) to do it right.

So two weeks later this stuff still hasn't arrived.. If it isn't in tomorrow I'll just drive to the store, but man this is frustrating

As for building speakers from scratch, I've built sub cabinets before in my mid-teen years and will be putting together my rotary sub (which is completely from scratch, driver and all) when I finally have some time to dedicate again, but entering the world of crossovers and driver matching is something that will take a lot of time (I'm verrrry all or nothing, even for someone with Asperger's Syndrome ) and I still have to rebuild my Impreza's engine before Fall for higher boost from the blower I slapped on it last year, which is of course yet another thing I'll be teaching myself as I go along haha. I love the idea of making all my own speakers, but it really just isn't a realistic goal to try and meet at this particular point in life
post #19 of 20 Old 06-02-10, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone- I am a perfectionist to the highest degree with anything artistic, and being as busy as I have been lately I simply haven't had the time available to be that fastidious, and therefore haven't done anything at all. I am currently looking at buying a house in a rural zone with a completely underground basement (higher SPL levels in the theater, anyone? ) and working tons of overtime to make the bills for it, so it's safe to say I am unable to veneer & polish my whole setup right now and in the near future. Bear with me for a couple of months though, and my Klipsch's getting a facelift will be only one of many theater improvement to look forward to
post #20 of 20 Old 06-02-10, 02:29 PM
Elite Shackster

It's already been said, but beautiful.. and I understand the patience thing. I just picked up a project that I'd dropped over a year ago. I don't recommend waiting that long, but don't rush yourself either.

(african , bubinga , klipsh) , time , veneering!

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page