Open Baffle - Page 14 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #131 of 166 Old 03-17-07, 10:41 PM
wig
scott

Re: Open Baffle

hi bob -I have a 12by14 living room.sony 32''crt (42'' plasma in the works)a old technics sa-dx940 I got for cheap and bose 201s.sorry I don't have more to work with.As far as budget there not one but I'm try to make one if you know what I mean.Thanks for the quick response.How much do you think the 10''s will be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 166 Old 03-18-07, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Bob

Scott, I typed a big long reply to your last post, but it didn't show up...It's gone!

Ok, short story this time:

Never appologize for your equipment.
Someone will always have better, someone else will always have worse..or none at all.

I asked Darrel Hawthorne about the price of the 10"s...We're very cautious in saying this (because is isn't 'set in stone' yet) but ABOUT $125 per driver including the crossover for the compression driver. They are still in development.

15's WILL work in that sized room. (Probably better than 10's)

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #133 of 166 Old 03-18-07, 07:34 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
Bob in St. Louis wrote: View Post
Scott, I typed a big long reply to your last post, but it didn't show up...It's gone!

Don't you hate that!!!?? It's happened to me twice when I was posting a 3 page tutorial on another forum....That's why I don't have any hair left!!
post #134 of 166 Old 03-18-07, 09:18 PM
wig
scott

Thanks for trying anyways bob.as far as the 10''s go thats a not as much of price cut as I wanted.One thing I like about the 15s is 8ohm and the sensitivity.I seen some nice baffles on their site. I'll try to get them so I can show you.Do think one on each side without augies would sound good for now.oh and later on when I do add them is there anyway to keep it all 8ohm?
post #135 of 166 Old 03-19-07, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Bob

Prof, Three pages!!! that would suck BAD!
Usually, I'll 'right click and copy' my entire post before I submit so in case something happens I can still 'paste' it again. This time it appeared it posted ok....

Wig, Yea.. Link or post some pictures of the baffles.
No way to keep two 8 ohm drivers 8 ohms. Either 4ohm or 16 ohm.

Here's mine so far:

post #136 of 166 Old 03-19-07, 12:03 PM
wig
scott

I'm sure you have seen the quasar's, but by some of of the hawthorne forum talk I don't know about the thickness, but do they look good.sorry about the dumb question about the 8ohms, found out I need sub amp to make it work and sound better.so how does the fiberglass ones sound.i have did a lot of paint work on cars and I don't have any wood working tool so I mite build something out of metal,just for the cool factor.but only If I can get BIG BOBS ok
post #137 of 166 Old 03-19-07, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Bob

These: ??

Quote:
wig wrote: View Post
I mite build something out of metal,just for the cool factor.but only If I can get BIG BOBS ok
HAHA

I would think metal would be ok with a few suggestions. Metal that's thick enough to sound 'dead' when it's hit. maybe some angle iron welded to the rear to minimize ringing. and definitely coating the rear of it with something to deaden it further.
When you say metal, are you talking about a piece of boiler plate kinda' material?

Regarding the wiring of 8 ohm drivers, here a cool website I found for various driver configurations:
http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm
Don't worry about 'stupid' questions dude. NOBODY here was born with audio/video knowledge.

Bob

post #138 of 166 Old 03-19-07, 12:34 PM
wig
scott

no thats not them.I'll see if I can find them again.Thats good site ,I read that after ,I seen were you told someone else about it. Maybe a mod stop sign with some kind of thick metal baffel.
post #139 of 166 Old 03-19-07, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Bob

The driver being magnet mounted works great. I'm real happy with it. It cost $2.29, it's a "U" shaped bracket you would use to support a 4X4 piece of lumber when building a deck. I cut off one side to make it an "L" shape. A hole saw big enough for the coax tweet to fit into, then screw the tweet into the midwoofer. Works fantastic.
If you support the driver independantly of the baffle, and build a baffle that is 'self standing', you could experiment with baffle designs without even touching the driver.!
My driver does not touch the wooden ring that surround it.

Bob

post #140 of 166 Old 03-19-07, 01:44 PM
wig
scott

Thats what I was thinking, I can almost fell my brain gettin bigger.plus with metal there's always chrome lol just joken .