10K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  Theresa 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I am going to be building 4 Fountek RM6K's for my grandfather
heres some pics on the progress

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Yes I did get my parts from madisound, so far Ive cut and sanded everything
When I free aired everything, it sounded pretty good. The only complaint that I have is that the terminals that are on everything are really weak and have already broken one. Nothing soulder wont fix:D

#9 ·
I have only soldered my internal wiring to the nubs on the drivers and also solder directly to x-over and directly to binding post, so I have never use the clips and have no experience w/ them. I wanted a solid connection where vibration would never be an issue so I only use silver solder.

Anyway, how is your project going?

#18 ·
I am almost done with the builds, just need to fix the grills and glue the ports in, tested one of them out and it sounds really good:T I would recommend these for the price!

Attachments

#19 ·
I see you built 4 speakers and subs. Are you using for them in a HT set-up, and is there a 5th for a center channel?
It is unusual that you ported them on the top with the tweeter to the right instead of mirror images, or the port in the rear w/ centered tweeters. What is your reasoning for your design?

Looking forward to reading about you impressions of their sound when you have them set-up in place.

#20 ·
well I am not building a 5th channel because my grandfather has no place to put it, he is going to ty to hide the speakers in thr room. Well I got the dimensions off of madisound, and with the dimensions the only place the port could fit was on top. As for the tweeter being off towards the right I just felt it would be safer to put it off towards the right when I was cutting the wood. Why is this going to affect the preformance of the speaker since its off towards the right?:huh:

Today and tomorrow I am going to be putting the ports in

#21 ·
Interesting.
I just looked at the Fountek kit with cabinet from Madisound and don't see that it has a port.
https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=8502
Yet the parts-only kit does include a port.
https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=8503
I'm wondering if the cabinet dimensions they included is for the sealed cabinet version and not the ported version. I would contact them, and if you have the dimensions for a sealed cabinet, you may be able to remove the port and cut a plug to glue into the hole. If it is their mistake, you can paint the top, sides, and bottom black to cover the patch and leave the front stained for a nice 2 toned look.

#24 ·
Interesting design with the top port. Will your grandfather be using these for 5.1 material and just leaving the centre out, or is it mainly stereo listening he'll be doing? I'm just concerned that you'll be left with a big hole in the front soundstage without one, if the subject material/processor settings think there is one. I think lots of receivers still have a "phantom" centre mode, which may help if you can't find a way to work something in, even an in-wall or something, just to have the sound covered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.