Driver Break in - Fact or Fiction? - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Speakers
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 29301 - Replies: 93  
Old 03-20-09, 07:18 AM   #51
Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Ren
Since: Oct 2008
Houston, TX
Re: Driver Break in - Fact or Fiction?

I just built a pair of speakers and the bass improved quite a bit after breaking in. I used SB Acoustics 7" drivers.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-09, 12:10 AM   #52
Shackster

Gui Lao
Since: May 2007
Shenzhen, China
I started this thread.
Re: Fiction...

Quote:
snickelfritz wrote: View Post
I wouldn't think the low frequency drivers would "break-in" very quickly once installed in a damped enclosure.
Mine hardly move at all with normal program material.

Also, the suspensions are just that; they simply suspend the cones and domes and really should not be a significant part of the overall resistive load.
In any event, countering or altering the electromotive forces from the motors would be analogous to a kitten trying to impede the movement of an elephant.
If anything happens to "loosen" the compliance of the suspensions, I would think that those effects would degrade sound quality, not improve it. Similar to a new shock absorber becoming more compliant over time, resulting in reduced damping of vertical shocks to the car suspension.

Any effects that cold storage and shipping has on driver compliance probably constitutes the bulk of the effects of break-in, and should clear up, with or without music being played through the speakers, once the air within the speaker cabinets warms up to the temperature of the listening environment.
That is out there where the busses do not run.

I have been away from the forum for quite some time, have a bit more free time nowadays to check in.

Old 10-22-09, 09:37 AM   #53
Yad
Senior Shackster

yad
Since: Oct 2009
Re: Fiction...

Quote:
I wouldn't think the low frequency drivers would "break-in" very quickly once installed in a damped enclosure.
Mine hardly move at all with normal program material.
The same as "Break-out" while you don't use your speaker for a long time

Old 10-22-09, 09:43 AM   #54
Yad
Senior Shackster

yad

the Thiel-Small parameters are changes a little in both "break-in & break-out" periods.

Old 10-26-09, 08:32 AM   #55
Yad
Senior Shackster

yad

My experience tells me, that the best way to break up LF and MF drivers - to do that without any enclosure.

Useful to load them by 2 or 3 sine signals mixed togeter. All freq. should be not multiple.
One of the freq. is better to be the same as resonance of the driver in free air.
example: 32, 50 and 20 Hz.

Such complex signal allows you to have max. diffusor's displacement (better is close to peak-to-peak) with the minimum of voice coil's heating. (The very small power is needed).

It will be enough of the breaking -up time about 4 or 7 hours.

Old 10-26-09, 08:42 AM   #56
Yad
Senior Shackster

yad

Once, I treated one very old driver at the same signal. That's fun, but after that, it's Qts fells from more than 2 to 0.7 !!!

Old 04-11-10, 05:21 AM   #57
Senior Shackster
Silver Supporter

gs
Since: Apr 2006

Vance Dickason's explanation is that while the speaker's suspension changes during break-in, parametric shifts that would affect a speaker design are rather small. He recommends a break-in period only to be sure the speaker is not defective.

My take on this subject is this: If you are designing a new, say DIY, custom speaker system, and you are relying on the exact characteristics of the speakers to tune the enclosures to the exact design you want, then you will be breaking-in the speakers so that the T-S parameters you need have settled to their final values.

If you are designing a speaker system for mass market sale, then you will design the enclosure for the specified performance parameters of your drivers. You will be performing AQL tests on the drivers, and the finished speakers, but you will never have the time to qualify every driver and speaker you produce. That would be too expensive.

So at the end of the day, economics dictates what happens. I would hope that $100,000 custom speaker systems have been broken in, but in my experience in pro audio, they are not. Break-in may happen during the testing phases of a large venue system, but it is incidental. Maybe somebody else knows about those uber home systems.

Old 04-11-10, 08:12 AM   #58

lsiberian
Since: Mar 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Quote:
gsmollin wrote: View Post
Vance Dickason's explanation is that while the speaker's suspension changes during break-in, parametric shifts that would affect a speaker design are rather small. He recommends a break-in period only to be sure the speaker is not defective.

My take on this subject is this: If you are designing a new, say DIY, custom speaker system, and you are relying on the exact characteristics of the speakers to tune the enclosures to the exact design you want, then you will be breaking-in the speakers so that the T-S parameters you need have settled to their final values.

If you are designing a speaker system for mass market sale, then you will design the enclosure for the specified performance parameters of your drivers. You will be performing AQL tests on the drivers, and the finished speakers, but you will never have the time to qualify every driver and speaker you produce. That would be too expensive.

So at the end of the day, economics dictates what happens. I would hope that $100,000 custom speaker systems have been broken in, but in my experience in pro audio, they are not. Break-in may happen during the testing phases of a large venue system, but it is incidental. Maybe somebody else knows about those uber home systems.
We've had a few other recent discussions on the subject and the consensus is that whatever changes happen in a quality driver are inaudible and insignificant in the design. The favored break in procedure is to watch ones favorite movies while drinking ones favorite beverage and eating ones favorite snack. It seems this method produces a wonderful break in experience and leverages a positive pyschoacoustic effect.

Old 04-11-10, 10:43 AM   #59
Elite Shackster
Bronze Supporter

Glen
Since: Mar 2009
West Texas

Quote:
lsiberian wrote: View Post
We've had a few other recent discussions on the subject and the consensus is that whatever changes happen in a quality driver are inaudible and insignificant in the design. The favored break in procedure is to watch ones favorite movies while drinking ones favorite beverage and eating ones favorite snack. It seems this method produces a wonderful break in experience and leverages a positive pyschoacoustic effect.
Ha! I've been using this 'procedure' since I was a kid

Old 06-08-10, 10:55 AM   #60
Shackster

Bill
Since: Jan 2010
NJ
Ear-brain accomodation as important -- Driver Break in - Fact or Fiction?

Subjective ear-brain accomodation to a particular loudspeaker's sound qualities seems to be a neglected topic.

Often when exposed to a new speaker, I feel that it's too bright or has some other flaws, but such impressions are often mitigated after a few hours listening - giving time for ear-brain processor to 'get used to' the particular sound presentation.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Speakers »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »