New designs - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Standout Design DSP Axiom Audio

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Speakers
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 1553 - Replies: 14  
Old 08-21-13, 01:16 AM   #1
Shackster

Since: May 2013
OK
I started this thread.
New designs

Danny,

How are your new designs coming? Would any of them be something like an MTM with Neo10's & Neo 3 plus a woofer, either the M165NQ or a servo controlled 8"?

Looking ahead for after I finish the X-MTM, CS, LS encore set.

Mike

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-13, 12:49 PM   #2
Senior Shackster

Since: Jul 2009
Iowa Park, Texas
Re: New designs

Quote:
mlundy57 wrote: View Post
Danny,

How are your new designs coming? Would any of them be something like an MTM with Neo10's & Neo 3 plus a woofer, either the M165NQ or a servo controlled 8"?

Looking ahead for after I finish the X-MTM, CS, LS encore set.

Mike
The X-Optima will be a single M16NQ (8 ohm) on an open baffle with a tweeter in a wave guide. And below it the same woofers used on the V-2. See it here: http://gr-research.com/v-2.aspx This will be an all open baffle design.

The X-Otica will use two M16NQ woofers (16 ohm) in a MTM with the tweeter in a wave guide. Below it will be three of my new 8" servo woofers.

Holding both of those designs up slightly having the wave guides manufactured. And really holding up the X-Otica is the new servo amps for the 8" woofers.

I have several new designs using Neo 10's in the works for Serenity Acoustics. No kits though.

Old 08-21-13, 02:10 PM   #3
Shackster

OK
I started this thread.

Danny,

How will these new tweeters compare to the Neo-3 in your N series kits?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 08-21-13, 02:49 PM   #4
Shackster

OK
I started this thread.

Also, how does the Eminence 12" woofer compare to your direct servo SW-12 woofers? Which amp would the 12" woofers use?

Either way, two 12" or three 8" woofers per tower seems like a lot of speaker. I'm basing this on one Rythmik F12 making itself known throughout my entire house. But then that is in a sealed box not an OB application. I'm unfamiliar with how OB designs sound.

Would either of those designs be appropriate in a 20'x25' room with the living room taking up half the space and a dining room the other half? The speakers would be spaced about 6' apart and 10' from the listening position. They would be able to be placed 3' from the back wall, 4' from one side wall and 15' from the other side wall. However there is a freestanding 6' tall room divider 4' away from the second speaker (11' from the 15' wall). That would place both speakers 4' away from some type of side wall.

Mike

Old 08-21-13, 05:00 PM   #5
Senior Shackster

Iowa Park, Texas

Quote:
Also, how does the Eminence 12" woofer compare to your direct servo SW-12 woofers? Which amp would the 12" woofers use?

Either way, two 12" or three 8" woofers per tower seems like a lot of speaker. I'm basing this on one Rythmik F12 making itself known throughout my entire house. But then that is in a sealed box not an OB application. I'm unfamiliar with how OB designs sound.

Would either of those designs be appropriate in a 20'x25' room with the living room taking up half the space and a dining room the other half? The speakers would be spaced about 6' apart and 10' from the listening position. They would be able to be placed 3' from the back wall, 4' from one side wall and 15' from the other side wall. However there is a freestanding 6' tall room divider 4' away from the second speaker (11' from the 15' wall). That would place both speakers 4' away from some type of side wall.

Mike
The Eminence woofers work well in that application and are very low cost. I bought a pallet load of them at one time and can offer them at the old price point of only $75 each. Now that the price of Neodymium as gone up so high they now sell for much more.

They don't really compare to our servo subs though, but then again, nothing else really does.

A pair of our SW-12-16FR woofers have slightly more SPL capability than the single SW-12-04 sealed box woofer. The open baffle woofers also do not load the room like a sealed box woofer. So you can get a cleaner sound with less room boom.

For a room the size of yours I'd go with the X-Otica design. The MTM version will have a higher 91db sensitivity that will help fill the larger room.

Old 08-21-13, 06:50 PM   #6
Shackster

OK
I started this thread.

Will the three 8" servo woofers play flat to 20Hz like the 12" servo?

Old 08-21-13, 06:56 PM   #7
Senior Shackster

Iowa Park, Texas

Quote:
Will the three 8" servo woofers play flat to 20Hz like the 12" servo?
There is a 20Hz extension filter on the amp. It should at least get them to a minus two or three db down at 20Hz. The real factor is how loud you want them to play. If you really want some SPL levels you will run out of X-max on the 8" woofers playing them real hard down low. So using one of the higher extension filters will be better for some applications. For lower volume levels you can let them play right on down to 20Hz.

Old 08-21-13, 07:05 PM   #8
Shackster

OK
I started this thread.

So for music they will be fine by themselves but for the LFE channel with movies you'd still want a subwoofer, correct?

Also, what center channel speaker would work with the X-Otica or has one not been designed yet?

Last edited by mlundy57; 08-21-13 at 07:24 PM..

Old 08-21-13, 08:06 PM   #9
Senior Shackster

Iowa Park, Texas

Quote:
So for music they will be fine by themselves but for the LFE channel with movies you'd still want a subwoofer, correct?

Also, what center channel speaker would work with the X-Otica or has one not been designed yet?
That is correct. For movies an additional sub would be needed.

I guess I might have to design a matching center.

Let's see...

A sealed version using the same drivers but just an MTM would be a pretty good sized box, but could be placed near a rear wall. It would also be low cost because no low frequency woofers would be needed.

An open baffle version would need an 8" servo sub on each end to give it some bottom end. It would also have to be at least 3 feet out into the room.

Hmmm....

Old 08-21-13, 08:42 PM   #10
Shackster

OK
I started this thread.

For my application I would think a sealed MTM would be good for the center channel. How much larger would this box be than the X-CS Encore?

I checked with a meter and the way my current system is set up at the listening level my wife and I prefer for movies I'm hitting max SPL's between 81 and 82 measured 12 ft from the Rythmik F12 (set on 14Hz, High damping, rumble filter off) on a bass heavy movies such as Titan A.E. For music listening it is more like 75-78dB, if that helps.

Last edited by mlundy57; 08-21-13 at 08:49 PM..

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Speakers »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »