Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV..... - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #11 of 30 Old 10-29-13, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....

So next up in the build is how to repeatably drill all the stinking mounting holes. I wanted to use threaded inserts to ease driver replacement if ever necessary. I ordered a couple extra mids and woofers for myself in case one ever went bad. (One did...but in a crazy way, totally my fault...story to be told later.)

There will be hundreds of holes...between the access panels, driver mounting panels...etc. Have a drill press, it will speed things up greatly. It could be done by hand...very slowly and carefully...but it could be done. Also, please use a brad point bit or a forstner bit for drilling...preventing bits from wandering. Much more precise.

I made myself a marking template. I used 1/4" thick MDF that I laser cut using an exported DXF. (I have access to a laser cutter at work.) However, with a lot of careful measuring you could hand measure and mark it...and drill the guide.

I cut 1/4" holes and used something called a transfer punch to transfer them to the piece that would be used in the horn. It only took a couple of minutes to transfer all the drill locations to the work pieces where it would probably take you 20 or more each piece to measure every one. So totally worth the time.

You can also see I marked the location of the tweeter entry and the center line of the board.
Attached Thumbnails
Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-holeplacement21000.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-portdiamters.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-002.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-003.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-007.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 10-30-13, 07:56 AM
Senior Shackster

Brandon

My System

Laser cutter access - you lucky dog. I miss using a big Epilog 28"x40" in college; so nice for making templates, guides, parts, etc... The only problem I remember was somebody always cutting/engraving incompatible materials and cracking the focusing element...multiple times.

This build is really cool, seems like a cost effective way to get great sound as well.
post #13 of 30 Old 10-30-13, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Next up is hole marking and drilling...for the driver mounting points I wanted to use threaded inserts. It happens the brass ones I used need a 1/4" hole. They are 6-32 which has plenty of holding power for an 8" woofer of the excursion of the Dayton.

I drilled each hole on my drill press.

Next I made marking drills for the woofer and midrange taps. I picked the smallest drill I had (not sure what size) and drilled all the way through since the back is what got marked. This gave me a precise location to drill on the front.

When I flipped the piece over I discovered that the hole was somewhat difficult to find...the MDF had "self healed" so I used a tiny plane to shave off the material covering the hole.

I drilled the tap ports for the woofers and mids from the front side of the horn using forstner bits. I didn't care too much about tearout on the back side since I knew I'd be grinding away at those areas anyway.

I then used a combination of dremel tools and routers to make clearence for the surrounds and cut aggressive frustums into both the mid and woofer holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-008.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-009.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-010.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-015.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-018.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-057.jpg  

post #14 of 30 Old 11-02-13, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

So next up is threaded insert installation. Buy. The. Tool.

Yes, there is a tool.

Buy it. It's very helpful. Also, install them on a very sturdy surface so you can press down hard as you are screwing them in. It helps prevent the MDF from pulling up...it still does, but not as bad. Then sand it flush. I put a dot of sanding sealer in the holes before screwing them in, in hopes that it would prevent the MDF from pulling up. I'm not sure it worked.

You can also see the jig I built to help hold the full height pieces.

The secondary flare and the primary flare were put together using gorilla glue which expands, aiding in assembly even if there is a small gap.

That said, work to minimize the gap. Gorilla glue isn't all that strong, so if you have large gaps you might consider secondary blocks, to increase glue surface area...I did on mine even though my gaps were pretty small.

I held the secondary flares in place using tape, and worked very slowly to ensure that each piece was glued on as square as possible. It was probably a week between start to finish since I was only gluing 1 secondary flare piece a day, one morning one at night. Patience is rewarded here....dry fit as much as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-069.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-035.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-036.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-039.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-066.jpg  

post #15 of 30 Old 11-03-13, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

So next up is the process I used to smooth out the tweeter entry points. As far as I can see in the pictures on the Danley site...they don't do that. But I did...I kept reading about higher order modes...etc....so figured out a way to do it.

First I got two part epoxy putty to use as the filler. Next I drilled a piece of 1/8" MDF with a 1" hole. I covered it with masking tape, figuring that the epoxy would stick to the tape and the tape would come off the guide.

I then taped the guide to my entry throat and used it to build up and sand down the epoxy putty.

I thought I had gotten great photos of it.

I didn't, or if I did they are buried somewhere on my hard drive.

Scott
post #16 of 30 Old 11-06-13, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Not much time for a detailed post tonight...but I have pictures about how I wrapped the cabinets around the horn.
Attached Thumbnails
Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-077.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-079.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-080.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-082.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy-build-log-094.jpg  

post #17 of 30 Old 11-10-13, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

More pictures of wrapping an enclosure around the horn.

When doing this, the idea is to keep everything as square as possible. I put some serious time in here... The best part is, this way you can use a bunch of off-cuts and odd sizes...since very few pieces are very large it's efficient sheet good usage.
Attached Thumbnails
Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy1000.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy10001.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy10002.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy10003.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy10004.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy10005.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy10006.jpg  

post #18 of 30 Old 11-12-13, 09:16 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

wow, those look good man. I'm excited to see how they sound to you
post #19 of 30 Old 11-26-13, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Sorry for the pause in updates...work got in the way.

One thing that might be asked is my finishing schedule. I'm a fan of the following:

1. Seal multiple spray coats of de-waxed shellac. I use a $15 Harbor Freight gun for most spraying jobs. I've owned fancier guns...and they do a better job. Not 20X better. I use automotive glazing compound to cover any scratches or rubs. (That's the pink stuff.)

2. Sand, down to ~300 grit...do not skip grits...do not rush...go slow. It will go faster in the long run.

3. Seal one more very light coat.

4. Build coats of finish with the recommended adhere coat...this will also expose any spots you missed in 1 and 2 for glazing and sanding.

5. Start with glazing and go to 2 again...repeat until you're happy.

I love Target Coatings products....they always work very well. The horns are as follows:

De-Waxed Shellac.
Glazing
De-Waxed Shellac (alcohol based).
Target Shellac as a bond coat (water based)
Target White Lacquer (roughly 3 coats...more glazing, sealer of Target water based shellac and 10 more coats of lacquer)

Yes...there are 14 (ish) coats of lacquer on the horns, and with the water based stuff it only took a long weekend.

And yes I used the $15 Harbor Freight HVLP gun, and I didn't build a booth.
Attached Thumbnails
Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy10001.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy10002.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy10003.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy10004.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy10005.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy10006.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy10007.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy10008.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy10009.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy100010.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy100013.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy100014.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy100016.jpg  

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....-synergy100017.jpg  

post #20 of 30 Old 11-26-13, 07:45 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Russ

My System

They are even more impressive when you see what goes in to them!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.