Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Synergy Horns-Dayton and PRV.....

35K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  BoomShack 
#1 ·
Sometime last year I became totally enamored by the Synergy Horn concept after several "a-ha" moments about how Tom Danley's other inventions work (Paraline, and Tapped Horn.) My S.O. (the bestest wife in the whole wide world) gave me permission to build a set of three for the LCR of our home theater. After many...many prototypes, rebuilds, back-tracks and a few choice words they are mostly done. I have Tom's permission to post details of my design, as it's his idea and he has it very well covered by patents.

First...for those that haven't heard a well designed DIY Synergy Horn, or the real deal. Find some. Now. They really are that special. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and have designed audio equipment professionally on/off for over 20 years. They image better than any other speaker, and there is a precision and clarity that some of the crazy high end magnesium/beryllium/unobtanium based speakers can't match.

So, without further ado here are the basics for each speaker:

4 Dayton Classic 8" woofers, 295-310
4 Dayton Designer Series 3" woofers, 295-422
1 PRV Audio D290Py-B, 294-2833

22.5" Cube
60x60 Coverage Area
45Hz to 18kHz +/-3dB (ish)...more on that later.

I'll be posting the photo's I took during the build and my drawings...but it's going to take some time to put together all the info...so patience is appreciated. Questions are welcome at any time.

Scott

Attachments

See less See more
#33 ·
A little resurrection here.... Are these still doing well for you? Is there anything you would change or have you made any updates?
I'm about to try these out but will probably use the Dayton Audio DSP for xover duties. Any suggestions about xover points, slopes, delays, etc.? What's the sensitivity for these and any idea on max output? I'll probably try these for P.A. use to see how they'll work...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.