Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

dual SLLT placement help

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  thxgoon 
#1 ·
Hello all,
hello,

this winter I'll be starting my HT build on my attic room...(you may have seen the other topic, dealing with the practical installation)(This topic will handle only the placement issue!)

this is how it looks like now:

It's an attic with a floor space of 4x6m. Height is about 1,1m for the straight part, and 2,20 height (when levelling the floor with the adjacent room). Thus total volume to fill is thus about 40m³ (or 1400 cubic feet).

The subs I have at my disposal are 2 CSS-SDX 15 drivers...

The idea is to build two (S)LLT-design subs, using the room on the left and right.

However, I have some troubles with the placement.
What do you think would be the best place to install the subs?

1) left and right, mid of the room
2) left and right, at listening position (which will be a bit more to the back)
3) corner positioned, right front, left back (or vice versa)
4) something else?

As it is a saddle roof, I do not know to which extent theories or studies on this subject apply (as they are generally shoe box research)

Please keep discussion here to the placement of the subs. My other thread is more for the general stuff :)

thank you,

daxie

See less See more
#8 ·
Good stuff! Subwoofer placement is a game of trade offs to be sure. The article you referenced uses 'egien'(modes, frequencies...) which reference a mathmatical model representing modal behavior in a room... not necessarily your room or anyone elses room. The article is a great guide, but I wouldn't consider it the end all.

Is it possible to finish the room and place the subs afterwords? My best advice would be to drywall the room and put a subwoofer at your intended listening position, download REW and take some measurements at various places along the walls. Look for the deepest extension, flattest response and highest gain. You can usually tame response peaks with eq, but it's very hard to bring up levels if a null exists. The last thing you would want is a null in the 20-30hz region.

#10 ·
thxgoon wrote:

Subwoofer placement is a game of trade offs to be sure. The article you referenced uses 'egien'(modes, frequencies...) which reference a mathmatical model representing modal behavior in a room... not necessarily your room or anyone elses room. The article is a great guide, but I wouldn't consider it the end all.
I have to agree here. The recommended placement for 4 subs from the Harmon paper sure didn't work for me. Just goes to show the every room is different.

#11 ·
I saw Rodny's thread, and have been talking about him about it.

Problem is I can't experiment, since they will be built inside the space left and right, so once they are there, they are there forgood.

Rodny's room is indeed very similar.

#12 ·
Does the decoration and stuff inside the room do a lot for the response?

Otherwise I could build them in a corners, do a measurement (in an otherwise empty room) and see how they go... If I don't like the FR, I can build them in another place...

Or does room filling make a big difference? (Like a big couch or stuff like that)

#13 ·
Problem is I can't experiment, since they will be built inside the space left and right, so once they are there, they are there for good

It's understandable that you would want to get it right the first time. Personally if it were me, I'd set up an amp and CD player with a small sub in the room and try different placements just to get a basic idea of what to expect. Once you narrow it down you'll have a better idea of where to build in your subs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.